Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 04:58 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
They drive mostly Chinese-made Detroit nameplates.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/bu...eign-cars.html

China rarely imports such products--almost always the agreement is to produce products under license within China...and the contracts include handing over the design documents to China as well, which is why they're winning as well as why US corporate profits are up while manufacturing jobs are down.
That article is a couple of years old and the US Automakers footprint has gotten even deeper. GM doesn't import to China it manufactures and sells directly, as does Ford and all the Japanese companies. Buick is considered a brand of status in China (not sure exactly why) you can get all of their models in China, along with most other GM lines. They aren't Chinese made knock offs, all of the parts are launched simultaneously with their American counterparts. It's rather odd to note that a lot of the cars made in China contain parts made in the US. I know this because I work in the auto industry as a supplier and have to go to China

As for Detroit being more famous than Michigan i'm not going to belabor the point too much. It may well be more famous than Michigan itself, certainly there's not much else it's widely known for outside of the Great Lakes. Michigan is one of the few places on earth that can be Identified from space, or picked out on a globe. Most people that I have met can point to map and say "Michigan" or yes "Detroit" because of it's unique geographic features. Certainly more so than any of the other mentioned cities/states. But like I said i'll concede the point, I have nothing more than anecdotal experience to point to it. No more than anyone else can claim anything more than anecdotal experience to argue against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 05:05 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Michigan is one of the few places on earth that can be Identified from space, or picked out on a globe.

I literally just spit up my Diet Dr Pepper! That's some ridiculously funny stuff right there!

Old 05-31-2016, 05:12 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

I literally just spit up my Diet Dr Pepper! That's some ridiculously funny stuff right there!
You're saying it cant be?

Old 05-31-2016, 05:56 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
You're saying it cant be?
The shape of Michigan is unique and people may know that the "Mitten" is a state, but how many would know it's Michigan specifically? They may think it's Illinois or Ohio or something.

I know some foreigners who know of Colorado because it has a square shape. So who knows, right?

Old 05-31-2016, 06:02 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
The shape of Michigan is unique and people may know that the "Mitten" is a state, but how many would know it's Michigan specifically? They may think it's Illinois or Ohio or something.

I know some foreigners who know of Colorado because it has a square shape. So who knows, right?
Colorado was my favorite state to do projects on in K-12 because unlike all other states (with the exception of Wyoming), I would never have to draw out the state's outline on paper and then cut it out to match its actual shape. With Colorado, I would just take a rectangular printer paper and immediately start glueing pictures and facts on it.

No tracing state border outlines, no cutting, no extra work necessary. Such a user-friendly state to do projects on in grade school, middle school, and high school.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:14 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post

Well then, I wonder how many of those people would be able to identify other states specifically. I mean...

Old 06-04-2016, 05:51 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Most people in the world don't know anything about assembly line history and don't drive Detroit cars.
Three of the five largest auto companies on earth are based in Detroit.

People may not know about "assembly line history", but they generally know that Detroit is associated with the automobile industry. There is no more important automobile center on the planet.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:54 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Fiat Chrysler is no longer based in Detroit. Chrysler was bought by an Italian company and is headquartered in London.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:58 PM

22 posts, read 16,119 times
New Orleans over LA, many people go to Mardi Gras on Bourbon St in NOLA, but nobody much cares about the state.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:11 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

People may not know about "assembly line history", but they generally know that Detroit is associated with the automobile industry. There is no more important automobile center on the planet.
Average guy on the other side of the planet doesn't care about Detroit iron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.