Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2016, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,081 times

Advertisements

After I finish my RN I plan on moving down south from the Midwest. I used to live in South Carolina and loved the southern hospitality, weather, Spanish moss, swamps etc. I used to live in a small town there and don't plan on returning to that such small of a town especially a retirement town. I only talked to a few people whom I'm no longer in contact with . So if I go back to SC I basically won't know anyone. And being a 22YO female I need to move somewhere I feel safe. I know every place has its crime and always to keep my guard up. But some places are safer than others and I don't want a high crime city. Somewhere with a decent COL For a new grad, safe to assume on a 50k annual salary. I want somewhere close to the coast or at least a river I love the water and fishing! I thought about other southern states . I've been to Florida and loved the gulf coast but I was on vacation and only experienced Florida as a tourist. I've heard it's not "a southern state" so please help me decide where I should narrow down my move? I've thought about Hilton head , charleston , Wilmington ...Savannah ..st Pete ... Ft lauderdale ... Please advise!
In a nut shell I'm looking for a southern state , decent sized city/town , friendly people, close to water , lots to do..easy to meet people and date and abundance of nursing jobs , decent COL !
Thanks !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 09:48 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I would recommend Jacksonville which hits your criteria quite well and has that southern feel even though it's in Florida (barely). There are all kinds of great neighborhoods that are safe and near lots to do including beautiful beaches. The city is thriving economically and has a lot of nursing jobs with top-tier hospitals like the Mayo Clinic and University of Florida-Shands Medical Center.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:33 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Houston

Old 06-02-2016, 10:47 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
Charleston SC, Wilmington NC, Norfolk/VA Beach VA.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:02 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusjeepinit View Post
After I finish my RN I plan on moving down south from the Midwest. I used to live in South Carolina and loved the southern hospitality, weather, Spanish moss, swamps etc. I used to live in a small town there and don't plan on returning to that such small of a town especially a retirement town. I only talked to a few people whom I'm no longer in contact with . So if I go back to SC I basically won't know anyone. And being a 22YO female I need to move somewhere I feel safe. I know every place has its crime and always to keep my guard up. But some places are safer than others and I don't want a high crime city. Somewhere with a decent COL For a new grad, safe to assume on a 50k annual salary. I want somewhere close to the coast or at least a river I love the water and fishing! I thought about other southern states . I've been to Florida and loved the gulf coast but I was on vacation and only experienced Florida as a tourist. I've heard it's not "a southern state" so please help me decide where I should narrow down my move? I've thought about Hilton head , charleston , Wilmington ...Savannah ..st Pete ... Ft lauderdale ... Please advise!
In a nut shell I'm looking for a southern state , decent sized city/town , friendly people, close to water , lots to do..easy to meet people and date and abundance of nursing jobs , decent COL !
Thanks !!!
Oh yeah, scratch Hilton Head off your list. It's expensive and filled with rich retirees, not ambitious young people starting their careers.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:26 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,840 times
Oh, cool. I don't need to recommend VB/Norfolk. Two people already have.

Carry on.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:37 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would recommend Jacksonville which hits your criteria quite well and has that southern feel even though it's in Florida (barely). There are all kinds of great neighborhoods that are safe and near lots to do including beautiful beaches. The city is thriving economically and has a lot of nursing jobs with top-tier hospitals like the Mayo Clinic and University of Florida-Shands Medical Center.
I second Jacksonville.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:53 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
This sounds a lot like a poster from a few months ago with the same question. Perhaps you lost your previous login info? I agree Jax seems like a good fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The city is thriving economically and has a lot of nursing jobs with top-tier hospitals like the Mayo Clinic and University of Florida-Shands Medical Center.
FYI Shands was renamed UF Health a few years ago. And MD Anderson is the hot new hospital/research facility in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.