Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your city have enough trees?
Yes, there are more than enough trees 45 67.16%
No, we need more trees 18 26.87%
Who knows? 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 04:53 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old duffer View Post
I am just shocked how many people replied that their city had enough trees. If this is common to people in general, government should stop spending all kinds of money on tree planting programs.
That's called maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 06:55 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
I love trees, but I am not a fan of my city's trees (apart from appreciating the shade and life).

The vast majority are non-natives, they were planted in a small window of time and are now, en masse, entering their die-off so they tend to range between scraggly and dead.

The areas of natural, native forest near the river are damaged due to controlling (completely halting) the periodic flooding that the ecosystem relied upon so the native trees are dying and invasive non-natives are taking over.

The arborculture in Albuquerque is in a very sorry state.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:55 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
If I think about true "tree country" as far as urban areas, what comes to mind for me is Appalachia, the Midwest, Suburban NE, and Portland. The places I didn't list sorta leave something to be desired, for me personally. I'd include the Piedmont region, also. Certainly there are other places with lots of trees, but I don't know what it is, but there's just a unique appeal to Northern Deciduous trees. Even Piedmont and Southern Appalachia leave something to be desired, even though pct. coverage. Is there a reason for that? It's just my impression that northern woods feel more dense/tall/Disney movieish, but that's just a pinpoint feel. I'm not an expert botanist, so I couldn't put a finger on that.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:31 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,324,621 times
a lot of people here cut down trees close to their house in this region because of hurricane and wind damage from falling trees. There are still a massive massive number of trees though. SOme quite nice looking neighborhoods with old growth oak trees and bald cypress.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:22 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Quote:
I am just shocked how many people replied that their city had enough trees. If this is common to people in general, government should stop spending all kinds of money on tree planting programs.
Agreed. How people would not desire to live among this beauty in their own cities is unbelievable to me. Oh well, I guess this is just one of the things that makes the South so much more attactive than other parts of the country. And to whomever said trees in the Piedmont and Lower Appalachians were not impressive?! NO! Ten thousand times NO! Have you NEVER been to Atlanta? North Georgia? North Carolina? Tennessee?!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/GDRpt_H76uU/maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 06-08-2016 at 11:42 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 09:07 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
In the area where I live the trees are disappearing and being replaced with ugly sprawl.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:13 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
Trees can be a drain on water resources and an increase danger for wildfires. While I agree trees are beautiful and find the picture above the same, too many trees, locally, is a thing.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:46 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
I'm one that replied that way, because the small city I live in is surrounded by trees and has tons of trees within the city limits. It's wonderful. I don't think there is a "need" for more as the city seems to have it adequately covered IMO.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:00 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,377 times
This is a pretty odd question:
LA- I think that the amount of trees that LA has is just right.
Phoenix- For being in the desert Phoenix sure does have a lot of trees. Although this might not be environmentally friendly at all I sort of wish that all of Phoenix looked like the central neighborhoods of the city do(full of beautiful Trees, a descent amount even change color in the fall).

Old 06-08-2016, 10:47 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
This is a pretty odd question:
LA- I think that the amount of trees that LA has is just right.
Phoenix- For being in the desert Phoenix sure does have a lot of trees. Although this might not be environmentally friendly at all I sort of wish that all of Phoenix looked like the central neighborhoods of the city do(full of beautiful Trees, a descent amount even change color in the fall).
Well we would be in heavy water rationing like some parts of California, you get an x amount of gallons and if you use that much they cut you off. I'm glad we don't have that. Any one who wants that can live anywhere other than Phoenix. Heck Flagstaff even provides that for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.