Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 02:59 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
City-- even though I live in a near-in burb. I don't even really identify with the State I live in.

I actually live in Chicago, Michigan.
Your comment about Cincinnati being a Kentucky river city just isn't true. Cincinnati has more in common with St. Louis and Pittsburgh than it does with Louisville. Culturally, linguistically, historically, and demographically. Just a regular river city? Yes. But Cincinnati is not a city in Kentucky by any stretch of the imagination. The Cincy suburbs in Covington themselves are very different from the rest of Kentucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 03:32 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,134 times
Quote:
Frankly, if Columbus, Ohio had a direct peer (roughly), it would be Indianapolis. Is that a safe comparison?
No. Culturally Columbus is more liberal, more east, much more lgbt friendly, more hipster, more asian, less hispanic, has one of the worlds largest universities, has a larger creative class (fashion/design). The urban core in Columbus is more dense, is a collection of hip/hippie/yuppie districts, and has a totally different housing stock (nearly all brick, more apartment buildings, and townhomes). Columbus also seems to have a bigger nightlife scene, and more nightlife districts. The two central cities really aren't that similiar, neither are the cultural aspects of the people living there. In Columbus most are east coast, great lakes, or foreign transplants.

On the other hand, Downtown Indianapolis is much more lively on a commercialized/retail level. Where they are similar are that they both are capitals and have land outside of the traidional urban core that is considered the city limits (and boomed post WWII). Culturally? No so much. Columbus has more of a weird, liberal, hipster (yet still great lakes/midwest)thing going on with east coast influences.

Last edited by streetcreed; 05-03-2013 at 03:42 PM..

Old 05-03-2013, 04:24 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
No. Culturally Columbus is more liberal, more east, much more lgbt friendly, more hipster, more asian, less hispanic, has one of the worlds largest universities, has a larger creative class (fashion/design). The urban core in Columbus is more dense, is a collection of hip/hippie/yuppie districts, and has a totally different housing stock (nearly all brick, more apartment buildings, and townhomes). Columbus also seems to have a bigger nightlife scene, and more nightlife districts. The two central cities really aren't that similiar, neither are the cultural aspects of the people living there. In Columbus most are east coast, great lakes, or foreign transplants.

On the other hand, Downtown Indianapolis is much more lively on a commercialized/retail level. Where they are similar are that they both are capitals and have land outside of the traidional urban core that is considered the city limits (and boomed post WWII). Culturally? No so much. Columbus has more of a weird, liberal, hipster (yet still great lakes/midwest)thing going on with east coast influences.
I respect your enthusiasm for your city. But frankly, this is certainly not a Columbus I'm aware of -- (or even conventional wisdom). Maybe we're talking about differnt cities. That said, you live there, so I respect your opinion.

BTW-- what city would you consider to be Columbus' peer?

Old 05-03-2013, 05:46 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,288 times
City or metro area. Outside the natural ozarks beauty and KC the rest of missourah can suck my....

Old 05-04-2013, 06:20 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Quote:
I respect your enthusiasm for your city. But frankly, this is certainly not a Columbus I'm aware of -- (or even conventional wisdom). Maybe we're talking about differnt cities. That said, you live there, so I respect your opinion.

BTW-- what city would you consider to be Columbus' peer?
Out of any comparison between any two cities, indy and cbus are the closest you are going to get. While cbus has more in the hoods outside of downtown, indy has more downtown. Ose with 50k students and iupui with 30k both have large universities within the core. Politically cbus is liberal and indy is moderate. Once you are in the other areas of the city, they are the same.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:22 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Out of any comparison between any two cities, indy and cbus are the closest you are going to get. While cbus has more in the hoods outside of downtown, indy has more downtown. Ose with 50k students and iupui with 30k both have large universities within the core. Politically cbus is liberal and indy is moderate. Once you are in the other areas of the city, they are the same.
Yes its the annexed areas that are most similiar. But Columbus metro on a whole is much more progressive and does have more east coast/great lakes transplants.

What is really impressive are the neighborhoods, as the above poster notes, you have retail strips of gay and lesbian businesses, progressive political organizations, dense neighborhood infill, and lots of yuppie/hipster attitude.

The cultural differences are best noted where they differ demographically (columbus has a larger creative class/lgbt population/and a overall younger population age). If you look at the regular "this city is the most ___"

Columbus and Indy are rarely next to each other, this is a demonstration that two aren't that similiar culturally.

Columbus was just ranked one of the least religious cities, is ranked one of the highest for LGBT inclusion and LGBT friendly policies and laws by the Human Rights Campaign, was ranked 3rd highest city for fashion designers, and after Boston Columbus has the largest concentration of college students.

Many think it is all about OSU, but Columbus has 13 universities and colleges. This is why IBM just announced they are opening their largest Advanced Business Analyst center (to employee 500) in Columbus. They noted that the potential for recruiting talent was only second to Boston with less cost.

Columbus leans much more hip and progressive. This can be noted across the whole city, and suburbs, but is really most noticeable in the central city (the 60 sq mile core).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.