Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Airline job relocation: school district, real estate, cost of living, metro city, big city problems

Old 11-25-2006, 12:51 PM

9 posts, read 26,167 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone out there can give me some advice. This coming summer I have to relocate...I am very happy about this, except I don't know where. I currently live in Atlanta, GA (not my favorite place)...and work as an airline pilot out of Atlanta. My new job will be with an airline that does not service Atlanta. My options right now are Central Florida (based in Orlando International Airport), Texas (preferably Austin, San Antonio area even though I would have to commute by plane or car to either Houston or Dallas), or Arizona (Phoenix area).

My biggest factors are schools, real estate, and cost of living. Right now my search is broad...I first have to narrow it down to the right area. I grew up in South Florida...so the idea of the Orlando area is nice except Florida has changed. It's expensive...and the schools are pretty bad. I don't know much about Central Florida so if someone can guide me to a nice location not too terribly far from Orlando International with good schools it would be awesome please help.

I lived in Dallas before and while there fell in love with the Austin, San Antonio area...but don't know much about it. I know it's cheaper than Florida...but that's it. Arizona...don't know anything about it either...any and all advice greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2006, 04:31 PM

675 posts, read 2,684,610 times
Default Austin is the way to go

Hi there. I have lived in Dallas, had a grandma in Phoenix, and have had a vacation condo in Orlando. I would choose Austin in a minute! Look into the suburb of Round Rock for good schools. I think you would be much happier there.

Old 11-25-2006, 06:35 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
I second this, choose a metro city in Texas. Orlando isnt cheap and very high crime. Someone made a thread stating the problems with Orlando.

Old 11-26-2006, 12:37 AM

421 posts, read 348,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddlejumper101 View Post
I was wondering if anyone out there can give me some advice. This coming summer I have to relocate...I am very happy about this, except I don't know where. I currently live in Atlanta, GA (not my favorite place)...and work as an airline pilot out of Atlanta. My new job will be with an airline that does not service Atlanta. My options right now are Central Florida (based in Orlando International Airport), Texas (preferably Austin, San Antonio area even though I would have to commute by plane or car to either Houston or Dallas), or Arizona (Phoenix area).

My biggest factors are schools, real estate, and cost of living. Right now my search is broad...I first have to narrow it down to the right area. I grew up in South Florida...so the idea of the Orlando area is nice except Florida has changed. It's expensive...and the schools are pretty bad. I don't know much about Central Florida so if someone can guide me to a nice location not too terribly far from Orlando International with good schools it would be awesome please help.

I lived in Dallas before and while there fell in love with the Austin, San Antonio area...but don't know much about it. I know it's cheaper than Florida...but that's it. Arizona...don't know anything about it either...any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Even though are housing prices are deflating here in Phoenix it sounds like you would be happier in TX since you've already lived there and did like it.
If you do decide to move to the Phoenix area shoot for Gilbert, Chandler, S Tempe or N Glendale. The Gilbert schools, Kyrene, Chandler, Peoria and Deer Valley schools are pretty decent but stay out of the Phoenix school district.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:30 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:

Look into the northern suburbs of Houston, such as Kingwood or The Woodlands. You'll be close to IAH, the large airport, and you can get good real estate and schools for a reasonable price. These areas are also heavily wooded and in that sense not very different looking from parts of Orlando. I'd avoid Austin/SA because you won't be as close to a large airport.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:58 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
Hi there. I have lived in Dallas, had a grandma in Phoenix, and have had a vacation condo in Orlando. I would choose Austin in a minute! Look into the suburb of Round Rock for good schools. I think you would be much happier there.
I usually differ with most people's opinions on Austin (many of whom haven't even lived there), but I lived in Austin for several years and think it's overrated. It gets way more hype than it deserves. It was great in the early 90's... but after that started going downhill. Developed most of the big city problems (crowding, higher prices, some crime) but you still have to go to Houston or Dallas to get the big city amenities. And it's still primarily a college town... which is fine if that's what you want. But we moved to Houston and realized there were so many more good restaurants, museums, culture, sports, diversity, and things to do in general. Plus more jobs and opportunity. Even with some of Houston's other drawbacks, it would take a lot to get me back to Austin...

Old 11-28-2006, 07:19 PM

465 posts, read 2,426,879 times
Quote:

Hi ya. I too, am trying to escape the Atlanta area. But your situation is a no brainer; I speak as a former real estate assistant and nomad. Go to Austin, all your needs will be met. The housing market it hot right now, and Austin has been listed as one of the most desirable cities to live in America. It's a family town and you get what you pay for. And with everyone looking to escape the big metro areas, and migrate to smaller, cheaper, safer, towns, you'll get a great return on your investment. Just buy in a desirable area, and hold for 3-4 years, you'll see what I mean. You'll die in Orlando, either by gunfire, property taxes or natural disaster. And by the time you leave Phoenix, you'll resemble shoe leather. Take my advice. Happy Trails!

Old 11-29-2006, 02:11 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Id have to agree. Austin is really a neat city. It has its problems (who doesnt???), but is also very unique.

Theres not much to do in Phoenix and their schools are consistently ranked at the bottom (I believe they were in last place this year). House prices are falling though, which is a good thing.

Houston and Dallas are ok, but not as unique as Austin, not even close.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:36 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,202,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
Have you decided to move to Atlanta yet? Pretty strong posts yesterday about north vs. south on the Mass. threads. How far are you from Boston and is there public transportation from your town to get there? Our issue is not wanting to be in too rural an area for our son to get into trouble (boredom) but wanting the affordability of being farther than closer to Boston. We were looking at Medfield but after talking to the High School principal, it seems a little out there. I think I just need to take a pill and chill but any suggestions would be appreciated especially from a fellow Ca. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:41 PM

675 posts, read 2,684,610 times
Default Hey there Puffle

Hi there. Still undecided on Atlanta. I'm a bit freaked out by the strong sentiments on both sides. We are so tempted because of the cost of living down there vs. MA. And GA has so much natural beauty. If my husband will make the same salary down there (and he will) it makes it even more compelling. We are planning a trip down sometime this month to give a look see.
We currently live about 25 miles west of Boston, and I am less than a mile from a commuter rail that goes right down town. I love our town here. It is a bedroom community though, with a very small town center. Very historic and very pretty, but quiet. I do have a nice mall less than 7 miles away, and plenty of restaurants nearby, just not in town. We do have a dunkin donuts though! Today Santa arrived via helicopter on the town green to the delite of the kids, and it was followed by cookies and hot chocolate in the town house. Such a nice family activity. Would probably bore the pants off your teenage son? But maybe not. Plenty of teenagers were there too! Are you really considering NY? It's beautifull there. Keep me posted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.