Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:34 AM

93 posts, read 347,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Where did you get this from? Seems to me like some states are truly more dangerous than others. For example, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, New Jersey, Maryland and maybe California all are more dangerous than Arizona or New Mexico if you ask me. The numbers might not have reflected it but over the past 5 years I would say they def are
The information turned up in a Google search:

Top 10 Most Dangerous States for 2007 - HUMAN EVENTS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 09:42 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLPman View Post
Maryland should definitely not be on the list. Sure, maybe, Baltimore's dangerous, but not the whole state! What about Annapolis, Western Maryland, and the Chesapeake Bay Area? Yeah, I think not.

Baltimore and PG county always put us on the list

Old 02-16-2008, 09:44 AM

791 posts, read 2,958,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
RankState2007 Rank
1-Nevada
2-New Mexico
3-Arizona
4-Maryland
5-Tennessee
6-South Carolina
7-Alaska
8-Florida
9-California
10-Louisiana

TOP 10 MOST DANGEROUS STATES IN 2007, SINCE YOU GUYS ARE ON THE DEADLY METRO AND CITIES TOPICS, I POSTED A STATE TOPIC.
DO SOME SURPRISE YOU?
I am surprised that California and Louisiana are so far down the list, and am not too happy about #1 - Nevada, gosh I hope that's mainly because of Las Vegas

Old 02-16-2008, 09:50 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
This tells me nothing whatsoever.

Unless this study can specifically state that the crime is evenly spread out over the entire state it is meaningless.

Someone asked about crime and Tennessee being on the list. Perhaps Memphis has a high crime rate,yet the people who live 100 miles away have hardly none.

Being from Minnesota, we see on tv constantly the murders in North Minneapolis.
Aside from having sympathy for the victims and people living there-------I experience no major crime ( and very little minor crime ) 100 miles away where I live.

Where I live, fish houses getting broken into still makes the paper.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:50 AM

209 posts, read 1,089,370 times
Very surprised at how Florida is seventh.

Even more surprised that Alaska is on the list... and Tennessee.

I am most surprised by Alaska's placement. Sure, if bitter cold and snow are dangerous, Alaska is first by far, my state is in the top 10...

Tennessee, I can see that, but I can't see how it is 5th. I can see between 10 and 15. Nashville and Memphis have some areas that are dangerous, otherwise there are just hicktowns, besides Chattanooga, Jackson, and Knoxville, in the state.

Nevada, number one, what? Las Vegas must have done it, for sure.

I don't have any official crime data, but I would rank them...

1. California
2. Florida
3. Texas
4. Nevada
5. Maryland
6. Delaware
7. Georgia
8. Illinois
9. Michigan
10. Missouri- maybe Arizona

I call California the most dangerous because I have been robbed there, twice. I have seen very negitave posts about crime in Cali and I am sure some of the stories cannot be fabricated. California has some very dangerous cities, in LA and outside of LA, but primarily LA itself.

Florida, simply because all of the wackos. 'Nuf said.

Texas, big huge cities like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and El Paso. All relatively crimy. Drug trafficking has got to be a serious issue in the state. All (a huge percentage) of drugs in this country come from MX, and Texas and Mexico share a very long border...

Old 02-16-2008, 10:54 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
New Mexico is one of the most crime ridden places I have ever visited.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:36 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I'm kind of surprised by Tennessee and Alaska.
...yeah...haven't you heard...the bears there are intelligent enough to jack your car and stick you up...LOL...sorry...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Glad Texas isn't on there.
I am too...I was surprised we didn't make the list...not that we should've

Old 02-16-2008, 09:35 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
you people wonder why CA,FL,TX arnt in the top 5 is cause they may have some bad crime ridden cities but most of the towns in the state are safe.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:38 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Miami-Dade County and metro Orlando push Florida into the top 10 . In the rest of the state the crime situation has much improved over the past 10 years (despite these constant posts claiming how much safer it was 10 years ago). Palm Beach County, Tampa, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Ft. Lauderdale area used to be much more dangerous and these areas have became safer over the past 10 years. Crime in some of the smaller cities also went down. California isn't anywhere near close to the most dangerous either in perception. LA County, Inland Empire, Stockton (yeeuuuucckkkk! Going there makes you say "Hey, at least I don't live there!), and a few other areas are respectively nasty, but San Diego area, Orange County, the SF Bay area make up a large proportion of the states population and are very safe areas.

I'm surprised at this "view" some of you have about these places. I try my best not to speak about a place I haven't been before. I especially love the New Jeresy being more dangerous than Arizona one. That's just hilarious. Most of NJ doesn't live in Camden or Newark or under smokestacks, they live mostly in clean suburban type areas.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-16-2008 at 09:54 PM..

Old 02-16-2008, 10:04 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
I suppose I am more likely to get mauled to death by a polar bear in Alaska than in Texas, so I guess I understand where this (yet another) pointless list is coming from....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.