Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,542 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone! I've been a lurker for a while and I have gotten a lot of useful info from these forums, but now I wanted to see if I can get some useful personalized advice.

My husband and I are searching for our perfect place (I know, I know -- a little too unrealistic) to finally settle down and start our family/future. We are lucky enough to have a lot of flexibility in this decision and want to make sure we approach this informed and rational so that we don't make a mistake we will regret. We currently live on Long Island and just don't feel at home here anymore. I was born and raised here; husband has lived here for 10 years. We are both from South America, so most of our traveling (which is rare) has been out of the country to visit family, therefore, we haven't had too many chances to discover other beautiful places in the US. I know it's a lot to ask to find the perfect place, but I'll settle for the next best thing.

Reasons we don't like LI: "parking-lot" feel, McMansions everywhere, major drug problems, high taxes, rude people.
We DO like that we are lucky enough to be surrounded by beaches in the summertime, some beautiful vineyards/farms, and quaint main streets, and obviously, the quick train ride to NYC is always nice...

We really want a place that is near mountains/parks, mildish winters (none of that crazy Boston stuff), great schools, safe, emphasis on healthy lifestyles (active people, organic food, eating local), population more spread out than LI, great hospitals (where I work), small(ish)-town feel, on the east coast, and friendly people. Basically, the ideal place for kids to grow up in and for us to feel comfortable enough to settle down for a long time.
We LOVE upstate NY and Vermont, but it is just such a shame that it snows an incredible amount. I don't know if we would be able to happily live with THAT much snow in the long run, otherwise, those would be some ideal places for us.

How does the North Carolina mountain region seem for our wishlist? Would it be difficult for a NYer to assimilate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 01:33 PM

26,882 posts, read 43,382,416 times
I think the NC mountains would be a great option if Asheville proper is the focus of your search. Employment can be a difficult task there but as a health care professional you shouldn't have too hard a time. It pretty much nails all of your criteria otherwise (great schools, largely safe, huge local/organic food scene, mountains, small town feel and a friendly/welcoming population that embraces diversity)....and while some think it's "expensive", coming from Long Island will seem quite the bargain no doubt.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:40 PM

92,144 posts, read 122,387,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalrus3 View Post
Hey, everyone! I've been a lurker for a while and I have gotten a lot of useful info from these forums, but now I wanted to see if I can get some useful personalized advice.

My husband and I are searching for our perfect place (I know, I know -- a little too unrealistic) to finally settle down and start our family/future. We are lucky enough to have a lot of flexibility in this decision and want to make sure we approach this informed and rational so that we don't make a mistake we will regret. We currently live on Long Island and just don't feel at home here anymore. I was born and raised here; husband has lived here for 10 years. We are both from South America, so most of our traveling (which is rare) has been out of the country to visit family, therefore, we haven't had too many chances to discover other beautiful places in the US. I know it's a lot to ask to find the perfect place, but I'll settle for the next best thing.

Reasons we don't like LI: "parking-lot" feel, McMansions everywhere, major drug problems, high taxes, rude people.
We DO like that we are lucky enough to be surrounded by beaches in the summertime, some beautiful vineyards/farms, and quaint main streets, and obviously, the quick train ride to NYC is always nice...

We really want a place that is near mountains/parks, mildish winters (none of that crazy Boston stuff), great schools, safe, emphasis on healthy lifestyles (active people, organic food, eating local), population more spread out than LI, great hospitals (where I work), small(ish)-town feel, on the east coast, and friendly people. Basically, the ideal place for kids to grow up in and for us to feel comfortable enough to settle down for a long time.
We LOVE upstate NY and Vermont, but it is just such a shame that it snows an incredible amount. I don't know if we would be able to happily live with THAT much snow in the long run, otherwise, those would be some ideal places for us.

How does the North Carolina mountain region seem for our wishlist? Would it be difficult for a NYer to assimilate?
In terms of snow, the areas away from the Great Lakes in Upstate NY gets less snow on average. So, Albany averages about 60-65 inches in the winter. Same with areas in/around the Adirondacks and the Hudson Valley.

With that said, you may want to look into areas of VA like Charlottesville, Blacksburg-Christianburg-Radford, Roanoke and Harrisonburg as well.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:42 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,578,355 times
Capital District area in NY State doesn't get that much snow. It's relative, of course, but it's not like Central NY (Syracuse, Rochester) where they routinely get heavy amounts. There are winters they barely get any, others a lot. This last winter they got a few storms, the one before it snowed a lot. It's a hit and miss thing. It's not every winter. That area has some good hospitals, too, plus adequate malls, shopping, good dining. Saratoga Springs you might check on. Smaller towns like Saugerties, too.

I just looked at snow totals for that area:
04/05--75 " 10/11--87
05/06--30' 11/12--23
06/07--45 12/13--51
07/08--61
08/09--52
09/10--45

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 06-15-2016 at 03:53 PM..

Old 06-16-2016, 11:59 AM

78 posts, read 104,129 times
Sounds like you'll want to look into small to mid-sized cities in the Virginia and North Carolina areas. IMO Virginia would probably give you more options since it won't be too far from the metropolitan east for day/weekend trips, but also has quieter mountainous regions. NC would probably give you better winter weather, but you'll be fairly far removed from big city access.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:23 PM

473 posts, read 517,127 times
The only thing I would caution you about with North Carolina and southern Virginia is that, if you do a lot of international travel, you're probably VERY spoiled by NYC airport access. Charlotte has a decent US Air hub but it's not NY and it's not all that close to Asheville.

Have you looked at western or southern New Jersey or eastern Pennsylvania? I mean towns like Lambertsville, Collingswood, Millburn, or New Hope? The Delaware Water Gap is lovely for hiking. And Jersey, while it gets a bad rap sometimes, is so close to everything ... mountains, beaches, an international airport, two major cities (Philly and NY), etc. etc. The only drawback might be the property taxes (though sales tax is more reasonable.)

Old 06-16-2016, 12:42 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,860,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
The only thing I would caution you about with North Carolina and southern Virginia is that, if you do a lot of international travel, you're probably VERY spoiled by NYC airport access. Charlotte has a decent US Air hub but it's not NY and it's not all that close to Asheville.
Another consideration for the OP would be distance. Vacationing up in NY state reminded me of how close everything is. Go below the NY state line and it's such a drive to get any where. The commute times to big cities and activities in upstate NY are so short! Asheville would be great for the OP if the OP only wanted to be in Asheville. Otherwise, it will be a long commute to get to the other NC cities and even Atlanta.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:59 PM

3 posts, read 2,542 times
I really want to settle down in a quaint town (with tons of mom and pop shops, and sweet town centers) where my kids can grow up and enjoy a slower paced lifestyle than I'm used to. I am definitely going to look into Asheville. I do worry that coming from NY, that the south might be difficult to get used to. I am going to take a visit and see what there is to offer. I have also realized that nothing is ever 100% perfect, and we must sacrifice some things to have what matters most to us. I might have to compromise on the weather aspect to have all the other things we love. I have heard of some quaint New England towns that are worth looking into as well. Thanks, all

Old 07-26-2016, 06:16 PM

92,144 posts, read 122,387,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalrus3 View Post
I really want to settle down in a quaint town (with tons of mom and pop shops, and sweet town centers) where my kids can grow up and enjoy a slower paced lifestyle than I'm used to. I am definitely going to look into Asheville. I do worry that coming from NY, that the south might be difficult to get used to. I am going to take a visit and see what there is to offer. I have also realized that nothing is ever 100% perfect, and we must sacrifice some things to have what matters most to us. I might have to compromise on the weather aspect to have all the other things we love. I have heard of some quaint New England towns that are worth looking into as well. Thanks, all
If you don't mind Upstate NY, perhaps you could look into the Erie Canal villages/towns around Rochester, East Aurora, Canandaigua, Corning, Ballston Spa and Skaneateles, among others.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:40 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,436,608 times
Asheville NC, Knoxville TN, and Charlottesville VA could be good choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.