Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
Alabama 1 1.59%
Mississippi 1 1.59%
Louisiana (outside of NOLA) 4 6.35%
Arkansas 7 11.11%
West Virginia 3 4.76%
South Carolina 19 30.16%
Kentucky 21 33.33%
Georgia (outside of ATL metro) 22 34.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 03:37 PM

431 posts, read 517,223 times

Advertisements

I feel like these states are usually thought of as a little behind their time when it comes to social issues (by some). In which of the following states do you think it would be easiest to be LGBTQ, non-christian, in an interracial relationship, of a different political belief, ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 04:19 PM

3,090 posts, read 2,152,006 times
My guess is that Louisville, KY would probably be the best match in the listed states for all the criteria in this post. But for the younger generations in more metropolitan settings especially, these sort of social issues are less of a big deal than they used to be.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
My guess is that Louisville, KY would probably be the best match in the listed states for all the criteria in this post. But for the younger generations in more metropolitan settings especially, these sort of social issues are less of a big deal than they used to be.
But as a whole would KY still be the most progressive of the other states listed? I should have said KY(excluding Louisville) I guess.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:13 PM

473 posts, read 516,952 times
Excluding the population centers of Nola and especially Atlanta kind of defeats the purpose of this exercise. Even in the bluest of blue states, most of the progressive policies are coming out of the urban areas. The difference is that in NY, CA and MA, those urban areas dominate the legislature. In Georgia, Atlanta proper is very progressive but the suburbs have been red historically. But as more newcomers relocate from northern states, things could change. Atlanta dominates Georgia from a population perspective.

BUT based on your criteria, I would probably go with Kentucky. They had a democratic governor until recently and some parts of the state are fairly Midwestern in sensibility. I'd try to stay in Lousiville though. If you didn't exclude Atlanta, I'd probably pick Georgia for the reasons listed above. I think it has the most long-term potential of going purple in a national election.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:19 PM

473 posts, read 516,952 times
To clarify what I wrote above, are you asking:

1) in which non-urban area of the above states would it be easiest to live if you're gay, in an interracial relationship, an atheist, etc.?

Or

2) Which of the states above are most likely to enact progressive, state-level policies that are accepting of residents who are gay/interracial/non-Christian etc.?

The two questions are related, but different.

It sounds like you're asking the former based on excluding metro areas. But the non-urban areas are almost always the reddest in a state and don't necessarily reflect the state-level climate.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
To clarify what I wrote above, are you asking:

1) in which non-urban area of the above states would it be easiest to live if you're gay, in an interracial relationship, an atheist, etc.?

Or

2) Which of the states above are most likely to enact progressive, state-level policies that are accepting of residents who are gay/interracial/non-Christian etc.?

The two questions are related, but different.

It sounds like you're asking the former based on excluding metro areas. But the non-urban areas are almost always the reddest in a state and don't necessarily reflect the state-level climate.
What I have in bold

Old 06-18-2016, 07:27 AM

5,686 posts, read 4,596,726 times
You need to add anther choice: None of the above.

As pointed out earlier, each of those states has areas that would be more accommodating, but the states as a whole? I couldn't pick one.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:40 AM

92,097 posts, read 122,326,409 times
Lexington KY may be a sleeper in terms of KY, given that the University of KY is there. Major college towns may also have to be excluded from these states as well.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:59 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,900,139 times
Excluding major metros is a cop-out. Most states become pretty conservative when you strip the big cities away.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:47 AM

3,090 posts, read 2,152,006 times
Census data suggests that interracial relationships are not a complete novelty in many locations within conservative states. For example: as of 2010, Huntington, WV is 8.6% black overall, but this increases to 10.4% once the population who identifies as both black and another race are included. This means in a city of 50,000, about 900 residents (1.8% of the population) identify as both black and another race. These people often will belong to families that have existing interracial relationships. And such a statistic doesn't identify people of different races in relationships who haven't yet built their own family, but will do so in the future.

Just to pick a northern city with a similar total population (about 56,000) and black concentration, Medford, MA is 8.8% black overall, but 9.9% black including those of mixed race. Interesting to see that the 1.1% difference in Medford, a densely populated community in a highly progressive state, is less than the 1.8% in Huntington, a small metropolitan center in a very conservative state. This is only one example, but it doesn't support the hypothesis that conservative states are less accepting of interracial relationships. Sometimes stereotypes are based on the truth but the reality of the South, even away from the big cities, is far more nuanced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.