Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2017, 01:49 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I suspect that the weather keeps people from flocking to WY, SD, and ND.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Yea probably...
It's the perception of the weather. People think that our weather is like North Dakota's, Thankfully, it isn't.

Jackson, Wyoming is as liberal as Colorado. It has world class skiing which draws the same people. However, that's the only even decent downhill skiing in the state. For some reason, liberals love to ski. So do conservatives, but apparently not as much.

To be be frank, Wyoming is brown and windy. I've talked with people who say that it's terrible or even scary to see. OTOH, there are others who love the barren cold desert.

In my area, it requires 150 acres to support one cow and calf. That's probably 100x more land than Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 11:15 AM

4,944 posts, read 3,049,488 times
Quote:
Don't you worry about flocks of people eventually moving to where you are at now?? That's what happened in SW Florida the past 20 years where the population has been exploding here. The town I live in use to be a seasonal town, still is, but the traffic and population from summer to winter doesn't vary as much as it use to 10-15 years ago. SW Florida is still much less populated then the concrete jungle on the east coast of Florida with much more protected nature areas but people are catching on how much less traffic and cleaner it is here and so now we are even getting a lot of east coast people who traditionally stayed on the east coast of Florida where the west coast of Florida has traditionally been filled Midwestern people.

With the internet and even City Data no place is secret anymore. How many people feel the same exact way you do about old Colorado and now are looking for the next paradise with less traffic, cleaner air and water, and more natural nature? (or in your case less laws?) Every county can have a smart growth development plan but the more people the harder it is to contain growth and urban sprawl. Kind of a catch 22, we need people to keep working but it seems to be at the expense of the natural beauty and landscape thanks to all the real estate developers and construction people who all need to feed their families.
When I moved to Naples, Tiburon was still an empty lot. I lived in Kensington, and could walk in the still empty woods off of Pine Ridge.
I was floored and saddened to see Naples having been overdeveloped, was so much nicer 20 years ago.
We all rode the building boom of the 90's, including myself as a material supplier not caring about the environment. Miles and miles of pine trees were leveled.
Having ruined my own town, I left after Wilma.
Sorry

Old 05-25-2017, 11:37 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Sad, broken Colorado has the best weather and best scenery on the planet.
Uhhhhh, hahahaha, no.

No, no, no.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:14 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
When I moved to Naples, Tiburon was still an empty lot. I lived in Kensington, and could walk in the still empty woods off of Pine Ridge.
I was floored and saddened to see Naples having been overdeveloped, was so much nicer 20 years ago.
We all rode the building boom of the 90's, including myself as a material supplier not caring about the environment. Miles and miles of pine trees were leveled.
Having ruined my own town, I left after Wilma.
Sorry
I guess at least you acknowledge it. The problem isn't you individually, you were just doing what you needed to do to feed yourself and your family.... The problem is the way our economic system is set up. There is no solution or end in sight. Coming from someone with just a few years of college and no formal degree I can say with 100% certainty even our brightest minds and leaders don't have the answers to overdevelopment, and quite frankly it's not even close to a state emergency that more trees are being leveled for new homes and roads, ACTUALLY, it's quite the opposite, this is seen as progress instead of destruction.

There are simply too many conflicting interest. There is no win win answer, not when it comes to the environment and economic health.

I've heard stories of old Florida, and can still see remnants of it since Naples is on the brink of the Everglades and Big Cypress, and yes Collier county has done a relatively good job keeping the major high rises away and forcing new developments to preserve a certain percent, etc, etc, but like you said even as diligent and careful as Collier County has been when it comes to managing development, the past 20 years still went through drastic changes, all of them negative in my eyes. It's not cleaner then it was 20 years ago, there is more car pollution now then 20 years ago, there is more light and noise pollution then there was 20 years ago, and yes, there are more jobs then there was 20 years ago so we have progressed RIGHT!

There is not much beauty in concrete, just my opinion. YES Naples is still a really beautiful place and considered a tropical paradise especially when you compare to other places in the US, but it's just a manufactured paradise, no longer a natural paradise.

I say this all the time, that at least mankind hasn't found a way to change the way the sky looks yet, generally speaking, that the sky still looks the same as it did 500 years ago, once again generally speaking... Go to Japan and have fun wearing a breathing mask the air is so bad let alone actually seeing the sky or clouds right.....

Old 05-26-2017, 09:28 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,708,779 times
Honestly, I can see Florida being the next Illinois. The job market is crap there and what happens when the current retirees die off? Are the next retirees going to want to move there? Florida overdeveloped and because of it, lots of stores are closing.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Honestly, I can see Florida being the next Illinois. The job market is crap there and what happens when the current retirees die off? Are the next retirees going to want to move there? Florida overdeveloped and because of it, lots of stores are closing.
Florida won't be the next Illinois. Yes Florida has over developed no doubt but it has so much more going for it then Illinois. All Illinois has going for it is Chicago and even then the weather is crappy 6-7 months of the year. Florida has much much much, much more natural beauty going for it and much better weather then Illinois and as long as your are by any coast during the summer months they are not much different then Midwest summers, just with a more tropical sun. It will always be an escape haven for wealthy people and snowbirds during the winter months. The demand for warmer climates by the ocean won't ever go away therefore the real estate market will always hold steady. Certain real estate pockets are vunerable to bubbles but that's like anywhere in the U.S. The job market is really not much different then anywhere else, it comes down to how marketable your skills are and how good of a job you do networking along with spotting or creating your own opportunities.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:07 PM

4,944 posts, read 3,049,488 times
Quote:
I guess at least you acknowledge it. The problem isn't you individually, you were just doing what you needed to do to feed yourself and your family.... The problem is the way our economic system is set up. There is no solution or end in sight. Coming from someone with just a few years of college and no formal degree I can say with 100% certainty even our brightest minds and leaders don't have the answers to overdevelopment, and quite frankly it's not even close to a state emergency that more trees are being leveled for new homes and roads, ACTUALLY, it's quite the opposite, this is seen as progress instead of destruction.

There are simply too many conflicting interest. There is no win win answer, not when it comes to the environment and economic health.

I've heard stories of old Florida, and can still see remnants of it since Naples is on the brink of the Everglades and Big Cypress, and yes Collier county has done a relatively good job keeping the major high rises away and forcing new developments to preserve a certain percent, etc, etc, but like you said even as diligent and careful as Collier County has been when it comes to managing development, the past 20 years still went through drastic changes, all of them negative in my eyes. It's not cleaner then it was 20 years ago, there is more car pollution now then 20 years ago, there is more light and noise pollution then there was 20 years ago, and yes, there are more jobs then there was 20 years ago so we have progressed RIGHT!

There is not much beauty in concrete, just my opinion. YES Naples is still a really beautiful place and considered a tropical paradise especially when you compare to other places in the US, but it's just a manufactured paradise, no longer a natural paradise.

I say this all the time, that at least mankind hasn't found a way to change the way the sky looks yet, generally speaking, that the sky still looks the same as it did 500 years ago, once again generally speaking... Go to Japan and have fun wearing a breathing mask the air is so bad let alone actually seeing the sky or clouds right.....
40' building height restrictions in Old Naples helped, and fortunately you have the countries largest natural air purifier in the Glades'. But yeah, the Naples I once loved for it's quiet charm is long gone.
Look on the bright side, at least it's not Ft. Myers. I lived there as well, hated it even back in the 90's.
Take care.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
40' building height restrictions in Old Naples helped, and fortunately you have the countries largest natural air purifier in the Glades'. But yeah, the Naples I once loved for it's quiet charm is long gone.
Look on the bright side, at least it's not Ft. Myers. I lived there as well, hated it even back in the 90's.
Take care.
Yes look the on bright side. Some people would argue that everything is natural, anything man made form concrete to light poles to stop signs are natural. Everything in our world has changed so fast though the past 150 years relative to the past million years.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:33 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Florida won't be the next Illinois. Yes Florida has over developed no doubt but it has so much more going for it then Illinois. All Illinois has going for it is Chicago and even then the weather is crappy 6-7 months of the year. Florida has much much much, much more natural beauty going for it and much better weather then Illinois and as long as your are by any coast during the summer months they are not much different then Midwest summers, just with a more tropical sun. It will always be an escape haven for wealthy people and snowbirds during the winter months. The demand for warmer climates by the ocean won't ever go away therefore the real estate market will always hold steady. Certain real estate pockets are vunerable to bubbles but that's like anywhere in the U.S. The job market is really not much different then anywhere else, it comes down to how marketable your skills are and how good of a job you do networking along with spotting or creating your own opportunities.
Florida's weather is crap about 6-7 months of the year too. It's oppressively hot and humid in most of FL from may- halloween. The wages are really depressed there. I leftvthere because there was literally nothing better in terms of jobs. I know lots of other people who have left too because FL doesn't have a whole lot to offer in terms of career opportunities that pay well outside of south Florida. South Florida is also insanely expensive.

The demand by the ocean does decrease if there are more storms and insurance rates increase to unaffordable levels as they have in the past. If climate change continues, much of the land will be unusable as a lot of it already floods heavily in large storms.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:32 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,708,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Florida's weather is crap about 6-7 months of the year too. It's oppressively hot and humid in most of FL from may- halloween. The wages are really depressed there. I leftvthere because there was literally nothing better in terms of jobs. I know lots of other people who have left too because FL doesn't have a whole lot to offer in terms of career opportunities that pay well outside of south Florida. South Florida is also insanely expensive.

The demand by the ocean does decrease if there are more storms and insurance rates increase to unaffordable levels as they have in the past. If climate change continues, much of the land will be unusable as a lot of it already floods heavily in large storms.
When I was looking at relocating, Florida came up on my radar. There were only a few job postings in my field and the salaries were really low throughout the entire state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.