Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2017, 10:24 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
First living an hour outside Charlotte is probably in the boonies.

Different areas of NC have different property tax rates. Raleigh has a rate of roughly 1%. Durham is more. Areas outside cities are around .5-.75%. Charlotte has a rate approaching 1.4%.

NC readjusts property valuations every eight years so depending on your location your bill is going to go up significantly over the next couple years as appraisals readjust.

For those belly aching over a 4.95% income tax rate, until recently NC was at 7.75% and was reduced three years ago to 5.75%. My wife and I pay more in NC income tax than our entire mortgage payment on a 15-year loan.
Yes her lives in a pretty rural area, my point being he also has 5 acres of land!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 11:04 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,277 times
Quote:
For those belly aching over a 4.95% income tax rate, until recently NC was at 7.75% and was reduced three years ago to 5.75%. My wife and I pay more in NC income tax than our entire mortgage payment on a 15-year loan.
If you're just looking at one tax area, you're not getting the whole picture. The bellyaching is about the overall tax burden, not just property tax or income tax or sales tax or business tax or any other individual tax. And not to beat a dead horse here, since this has been covered multiple times in this thread, but the overall tax burden in Illinois is one of the highest in the country.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:10 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
If you're just looking at one tax area, you're not getting the whole picture. The bellyaching is about the overall tax burden, not just property tax or income tax or sales tax or business tax or any other individual tax. And not to beat a dead horse here, since this has been covered multiple times in this thread, but the overall tax burden in Illinois is one of the highest in the country.
Tax burden is relative. It depends greatly on the value of the home you live in and your household income as well as the value of your other property like cars. In NC we pay a lot more tax overall because of the high income tax rate despite our modest property tax and old cars. A retiree moving from our of state, downsizing, would pay very little overall tax if they live in a smaller home in NC due to their (most likely) reduced income.

If you're going to make the move and you have an above average income I would be looking at TN, TX, FL, WA, etc. Live in a state with zero income tax.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:11 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
First living an hour outside Charlotte is probably in the boonies.

That is an understatement

Old 07-08-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Yes her lives in a pretty rural area, my point being he also has 5 acres of land!
What's your point? You can get 40 acres in NM for $20k.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
That is an understatement
Depends on the traffic and which direction.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Tax burden is relative. It depends greatly on the value of the home you live in and your household income as well as the value of your other property like cars. In NC we pay a lot more tax overall because of the high income tax rate despite our modest property tax and old cars. A retiree moving from our of state, downsizing, would pay very little overall tax if they live in a smaller home in NC due to their (most likely) reduced income.

If you're going to make the move and you have an above average income I would be looking at TN, TX, FL, WA, etc. Live in a state with zero income tax.
The rankings linked earlier in this thread already account for local income. Even after considering the pay differences, Illinois is still in the top 10 most heavily taxed in the country.

And it's about the overall tax burden, not just income tax.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:18 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
The rankings linked earlier in this thread already account for local income. Even after considering the pay differences, Illinois is still in the top 10 most heavily taxed in the country.

Here's a list of the total tax burden of all the states:

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/552e.../#2eeba8e85e13

Old 07-08-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Again I'm not referring to COL adjustment to income.

I'm talking about a family who earns more than the average income will be disproportionally hit by an income tax. I don't know how to explain it more simply than that.

Each family has to do the calculations for themselves based upon their lifestyle choices. You can't just reference a chart that averages out the tax burden. Some are obvious, high income tax and high property tax, some are less so.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Here's a list of the total tax burden of all the states:

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/552e.../#2eeba8e85e13
Looks like your link is outdated. Tracing back to the source data, Illinois carries the fifth highest tax burden in the entire country.

Source

We're just splitting hairs at this point though. There's no disputing it, taxes here are absurdly high. What could be your wealth ends up being more politician's wealth instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.