Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 06:13 PM

812 posts, read 736,645 times

Advertisements

Living in Idaho now and loving it, love the western US in general. So beautiful, lower cost of living, fewer people, and the people that are here are far more polite and courteous! Had a brief stay in Wisconsin in between Illinois and Idaho to square away some family matters and did not find it much better then Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 06:15 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Dallas

Old 01-24-2018, 12:32 PM

16 posts, read 18,677 times
I fled in October of 2017. Left for San Antonio Texas. So far it is has been pretty good the last few months. The cost of living is far less with many things to do. We have plenty of state parks. Houston is a 2 and a half hour drive, the coast is about 2 hours, Austin about 45 minutes. I can not complain. I was surprised at how tolerant people are down here. I think the media paints a bad picture of Texas being this huge cesspool of Republicans. However I have not ventured off into the Countryside where I am sure it is a different story.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:33 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtaylor View Post
I notice you left the cesspool of overspending Democrats for the cheaper taxes of the Republicans... and then you go there and complain about them??? LOL

People like you can not have it both ways, can't have the cheaper taxes and then complain about the fiscal conservatives.
In reality, TX problems go way beyond the simple notion of being ‘fiscally conservative’.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I notice you left the cesspool of overspending Democrats for the cheaper taxes of the Republicans... and then you go there and complain about them??? LOL

People like you can not have it both ways, can't have the cheaper taxes and then complain about the fiscal conservatives.
I haven't touched a snow shovel or a windshield scraper since moving to Dallas. Texas conservatives don't have anything to do with that.

But there's nothing at all cheaper about taxes in Texas. They just have them titled differently. What they don't collect in state income taxes, they more than make up for in property and sales taxes, as well as individual fees for every little public service.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:43 PM

16 posts, read 18,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
Thinking of making the move unsure of where to go

What are best things about IL guys you all miss the most ?
Urban landscape is one thing I miss for sure. You never truly know how Urban Chicago is until you come down to a southern city. San Antonio and Houston are notorious for being one giant looking suburb with a city core. Now I am not complaining as I personally deal with it since the weather more than makes up for it. At least for me that is.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I lived in Dallas years ago, still get down there once or twice a year.. Hot weather and no culture vs cold weather and culture.. coin clip, but Chicago is such a far superior city..
Well, we're shopping for a hobby farm right now.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:13 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
NYC. Left Chicagoland for a gf in the Bronx, but I stayed because of the city. I don't miss Chicagoland at all. I come back often enough and reminded why I left. Felt like such a bubble growing up too, as if everything beyond the boarders of the suburbs and city is a foreign world. NYC gets cold, and I have to give it to growing up here that my cold tolerance is great and heat tolerance is weak, but I stayed near Naperville to see my mother on her birthday. It was, with windchill, a consistence -2F degrees with one day dropping down to -12F. Don't know how she does it in her late 50s, I was about to drop dead. Plastic wrap around the windows to keep the cold out LOL!

It's more expensive in NYC (though my mother is paying more more to live in Chicagoland and it's just going to become a wider gap since I'm rent stabilized, hah!!), but outside of my insane trips to Tokyo, I am having an absolute blast. It's been nearly 8 years. My father asked when I was moving back. I laughed so hard that I don't think I can come to my aunts anymore. Oops! They're going to sell soon and leave the state anyways. $28k property taxes!

If I'm moving anywhere, it'll be A) cheaper neighborhood because I bought a coop (my rent is already lower than most of the outer borough neighborhoods, no reason to rent again unless I get a long term gf) B) outside of the country (I'm leaving the possibility on the table, I honestly don't like living in America outside of NYC though not to say I don't like visiting other places in this country)

Old 01-26-2018, 01:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
I'll never live in a place where it's never quiet, where surveillance cameras are part of the landscape, and where I need a government permission slip to carry a gun under my coat. I love freedom—and I've found it.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:15 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
Quote:
Average January high temp in Chicago is 32, NYC is 38.... enjoy tropical NYC
Windchill, it makes a world of difference and I can tell having lived 18 years in Chicagoland and 8 years in NYC. I literally have a separate coat for when I go see my parents because of how much colder it feels in Chicago.

I also don't know where you got tropical out of this. I hate hot weather so I never go south of Washington DC. I find the summers rather brutal as it is, but I refuse to move somewhere colder in the winter. I also like not having a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.