Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 05:02 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,063,234 times

Advertisements

What are the differences between your new home and Illinois? Do you like it better or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 05:07 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,375,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
What are the differences between your new home and Illinois? Do you like it better or no?
Florida....NO state taxes! Much nicer winters and not any hotter or humid summers. I can swim in December in my pool, and we have nice beaches to visit.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:51 PM

3,810 posts, read 6,392,305 times
North Texas - DFW Metroplex. No state income tax, lower property taxes than in Chicago area. Salaries in my field (medical) just as competitive in DFW as Chicago. Awesome winters (sans the F4 tornado from last Christmas). Great Mexican food, great medical facilities.

Overall though? I would move back to Illinois if we could afford to. We're born and bred Midwesterners and really loved living in McHenry for the year we were there. It was an absolute perfect spot - smack dab between Chicago and Milwaukee with quick access to both while still maintaining a nice country feel. We hate the housing setup in DFW - every house looks the same, they're all right on top of each other seperated by cheap fencing that falls apart, and worst of all - NO BASEMENTS for storage, man caves, or shelter from the infamous severe storms. The North Texas landscape is butt ugly, horrible for building on, and the water is nasty. We loved being so close to the inland natural lakes in Wisconsin and Michigan up there and the Great Lakes also. Miss the beautiful farmscapes, too. There are venomous spiders, tarantulas, poisonous snakes, and even alligators in North TX as well. Don't like any of that stuff having little kids.

Biggest difference? Chicago. No town in the world like it, and sorry.....Dallas and Ft. Worth are good towns in their own way, but they don't approach the Windy City on any level. Chicago does have the horrible crime zones, but other than that I miss it immensely. The trains, the lake, the sports, the food, the architecture.....oh my.

Like I said, we'd go back if it were financially feasible, but the property taxes especially up there are simply unpayable for us. We're looking to eventually move to either NW Arkansas or back to Michigan where we're originally from.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:01 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,063,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
North Texas - DFW Metroplex. No state income tax, lower property taxes than in Chicago area. Salaries in my field (medical) just as competitive in DFW as Chicago. Awesome winters (sans the F4 tornado from last Christmas). Great Mexican food, great medical facilities.

Overall though? I would move back to Illinois if we could afford to. We're born and bred Midwesterners and really loved living in McHenry for the year we were there. It was an absolute perfect spot - smack dab between Chicago and Milwaukee with quick access to both while still maintaining a nice country feel. We hate the housing setup in DFW - every house looks the same, they're all right on top of each other seperated by cheap fencing that falls apart, and worst of all - NO BASEMENTS for storage, man caves, or shelter from the infamous severe storms. The North Texas landscape is butt ugly, horrible for building on, and the water is nasty. We loved being so close to the inland natural lakes in Wisconsin and Michigan up there and the Great Lakes also. Miss the beautiful farmscapes, too. There are venomous spiders, tarantulas, poisonous snakes, and even alligators in North TX as well. Don't like any of that stuff having little kids.

Biggest difference? Chicago. No town in the world like it, and sorry.....Dallas and Ft. Worth are good towns in their own way, but they don't approach the Windy City on any level. Chicago does have the horrible crime zones, but other than that I miss it immensely. The trains, the lake, the sports, the food, the architecture.....oh my.

Like I said, we'd go back if it were financially feasible, but the property taxes especially up there are simply unpayable for us. We're looking to eventually move to either NW Arkansas or back to Michigan where we're originally from.
Sorry to hear you're not happy in Texas. I wasn't aware there were alligators in Dallas. Michigan and Arkansas sound like they would meet your criteria. Also, look in Wisconsin (Madison is great, yet not far from Chicago), or Tennessee (Nashville is great).

Old 06-18-2016, 05:59 AM

4,671 posts, read 7,340,689 times
My family and I moved to Austin when my father received a better job offer than where he had been working in central Illinois. However, once the difference in COL was factored in, the pay differential was nominal. Traffic was much worse, and Texas still taxed you, just in different ways. Most of the time we spent there was during late spring and through the summer, which was dreadful. My father then got a better job offer at his former employment, and we moved back. Austin was alright, but the grass wasn't greener (it was crunchy and brown!).

Old 06-18-2016, 09:53 AM

3,810 posts, read 6,392,305 times
Another thing people may not know about North Texas is how AWFUL the roads are. You always hear about the terrible road conditions in the northern states like Illinois, but many in DFW and surrounding areas are just as bad if not worse. The soil there is awful for building on because it contracts and expands so much from season to season, and as a result homes have tons of foundation issues and the roads crumble like cookies.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:35 PM

366 posts, read 489,788 times
I relocated my business to Florida, bought a home in Lakeland, and because of Obamacare, terminated my captive employees and went to a 100% contractor model (they love it, I love it). Now I simply commute between Florida and Illinois. I have been looking for property in TN for some time (love Tennessee) but the tax on dividends and interest thing is very discouraging.

In FL much more home for the dollar, property taxes are 1/4 Illinois, the people are so much nicer, I love the gated communities to keep the riff-raff away and I like how many of the cities are neatly segregated. And, drum roll, no income tax!!!!

The business climate in Fl is a dream compared to IL. The cities and counties are business friendly, unbelievably so. If not for Obamacare I would have expanded my captive employee model, workman's comp is cheap, it is not early as litigious, lower skilled workers have a great work ethic, and a much higher level of functional education, higher skilled workers don't have that "I am owed" attitude I found in so many Chicagoland workers. I love the fact that teachers are not treated like gods and goddesses as they are in IL and that unions are much weaker in Florida. Autos last forever in Florida and the roads are great.

There are a few negatives to me. IL is superior if you wish to home school - period. And Florida is a ticking time bomb in terms of pensions also. The people of Florida are asleep at the switch on this one. The state is growing more liberal. Not as bad as Chicago, but yucko.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:04 PM

1,081 posts, read 541,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Wisconsin - Fox Valley Area
Reasons for choosing this area.
-Lower crime
-Same COL
-Better Schools
-Lower Unemployment
-Friendlier People
-No entitlement mentality
-More snow
-More trees

Old 06-19-2016, 06:42 PM

1,067 posts, read 896,749 times
I still live in Chicago but if I ever have to move to the burbs it'll be Wisconsin to avoid the pension fallout. I am looking pretty seriously at Eastern TN / Western WI for all the lakes, rivers, mountains and mild winters but we'll see. I love Chicago so it's hard to leave.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:45 PM

41 posts, read 44,123 times
I did not flee Illinois, but I got a job in Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.