Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 02:17 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,162,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
Columbus?
Similar weather, same size, similar built environment. That's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 02:43 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Tulsa and OKC are nothing like the Midwestern cities of KC and STL. They are Southern cities and have more in common with New Orleans and Birmingham than KC. And Oklahoma isn't like Kansas or most of Missouri at all:
You sound an awful lot like another "St. Louisan" poster who used to post on here a lot. S/he also made lots of blanket claims with very little evidence to back it up.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:30 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
KC is quite a unique little city, so it's tough to compare. I can't see another city of its size in the middle of the US which has unique features such as its fountains, major food style (nationally recognized), and jazz and Negro League museums.
Little city lol? KC is a metro of over 2 million. That's not little.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
You sound an awful lot like another "St. Louisan" poster who used to post on here a lot. S/he also made lots of blanket claims with very little evidence to back it up.
Don't know what you're talking about. Blanket statements? Culture, linguistics and demographics are far more than a blanket statement, and Oklahoma fails at being Midwestern in all 3 of these categories. So explain to me how Tulsa and OKC are like Kansas City when they are Southern in every aspect? Good luck trying to explain it. Very little evidence? That's about as much evidence as there is, pal.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Similar weather, same size, similar built environment. That's about it.
Same culture and demographics as well. Both Midwestern.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:51 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,162,417 times
Quote:
Same culture and demographics as well. Both Midwestern.
Yes, you are right, broadly speaking.

But re: the OP's criteria, Columbus is quite a bit faster-growing, right?

Also, to my way of thinking, the fact that it's a state Capitol and a huge college town, it's position in Ohio's pecking order, it's civic culture (which seems a lot more like a kind of more staid, more conservative Madison or Austin than it does like KC), and it's historical dissimilarity to KC make a fairly significant difference.

But with regards to the underratedness, the weather, and the moderately healthy tech scene, I can see how it would fit.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:38 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
Those cities ARE Southern culturally, linguistically, and demographically and nothing like KC. I don't get your idea that Oklahoma is Midwestern. It really isn't. It has the most in common with Texas, Arkansas, and Louisiana. And yes they do have more in common with Houston and Birmingham than KC.
I love to see you guys squirm about Oklahoma not being southern. Let me start with there are some southern traits that can be found in the "The Sooner State". Or in other descriptions, "The Cowboy State". As I mentioned earlier there is certainly a drawl, and there certainly is a connection with Texas, which in itself is only considered "southern" in certain areas, not in the west or north central.

But to bring this home, Oklahoma is indeed a combination of midwestern, western, and maybe a teeny bit of southern. The OSU "Cowboys", the "Cowboy" Museum, "Midwest City", and most residents who don't consider themselves "southern". (I can't prove that last point, but as a former resident, I think I can make a strong argument.)

So go on trying to consider Oklahoma southern, but you are not correct as much as you think you are. Again, I admit there is some minor southern influence, but overall Oklahoma is a Plains State with a touch of the west, midwest, and south.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I love to see you guys squirm about Oklahoma not being southern. Let me start with there are some southern traits that can be found in the "The Sooner State". Or in other descriptions, "The Cowboy State". As I mentioned earlier there is certainly a drawl, and there certainly is a connection with Texas, which in itself is only considered "southern" in certain areas, not in the west or north central.

But to bring this home, Oklahoma is indeed a combination of midwestern, western, and maybe a teeny bit of southern. The OSU "Cowboys", the "Cowboy" Museum, "Midwest City", and most residents who don't consider themselves "southern". (I can't prove that last point, but as a former resident, I think I can make a strong argument.)

So go on trying to consider Oklahoma southern, but you are not correct as much as you think you are. Again, I admit there is some minor southern influence, but overall Oklahoma is a Plains State with a touch of the west, midwest, and south.
The Southern influence is major, not minor. All you can do is say Oklahoma is Midwestern but you can't say how. I would admit defeat if I were you while you still can. Midwest City is Southern I've been there. And the majority of residents there according to a study done by the University of Texas DO consider themselves Southern, 70 percent if I recall. You have no case.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:27 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,218 times
Des Moines
Indianapolis
Columbus

Old 06-19-2016, 09:38 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
The Southern influence is major, not minor. All you can do is say Oklahoma is Midwestern but you can't say how. I would admit defeat if I were you while you still can. Midwest City is Southern I've been there. And the majority of residents there according to a study done by the University of Texas DO consider themselves Southern, 70 percent if I recall. You have no case.
And you also have no case. But this is not in the court of law. Perhaps we will agree to disagree here...I don't want to get into a longterm debate about this. I think both sides have some arguments, but I think mine are stronger. So just post yours are stronger and then we are done. Really, a waste of time. Bye for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.