Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Strongest Midwestern Vibe?
Boston 2 4.26%
Providence 3 6.38%
New Haven 3 6.38%
New York City 1 2.13%
Philadelphia 8 17.02%
Wilmington 4 8.51%
Baltimore 13 27.66%
Washington, DC 5 10.64%
Richmond 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 06:54 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
You just believe Baltimore is Southern no matter what anyone else says. Baltimore culturally and linguistically has more in common with Philly than Richmond. Same for DC.
Why are linguistic patterns supposed to be a be all end all line of demarcation? That is one small aspect of demographics. And culture is such a vague term. KC's and (STL's) barbecue for example is a huge cultural aspect but is basically nonexistent in other Midwestern cities, though it is a big part of many southern cities. Does that make KC southern? No, but it's an example of how culture can mean many different things and doesn't necessarily adhere to traditional regional borders. If you're going to argue that the Midwest and South are both monocultural you're going to have to speak with a good deal more specificity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 07:00 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But I guess Baltimore lacks some of the other things C-D posters associate with the East Coast: elitism, pace, sophistication, glamour, etc.
Right, what was I thinking.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:16 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd say that honor belongs to DC. Baltimore feels more like Wilmington, Philly, Camden, Newark, etc. than DC.
No, not at all. DC doesn't feel Northeastern at all, but it does feel "east coast" in the sense that BajanYankee is defining. If the question was which one felt least Northeastern, Richmond would clearly win anyway.

Wilmington, Camden, and Newark all have significant Latino neighborhoods. Philly has that plus a gentrified area downtown with young professionals. Regardless, Camden and Newark weren't even on the list to vote upon.

Last edited by eschaton; 06-20-2016 at 08:10 PM..

Old 06-20-2016, 07:58 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,050,791 times
Philly.

Philly is similar to Cincy. It has a very German heritage, similar architecture, and the climate is similar. Similar to Columbus in that there is a large college educated population, similar to most Midwest locales in that Hispanics are significant, and finally, similar in a Middle American cultural fashion. Philly is an "everycity" representative of American culture as a whole rather than specifically one region. Same with the Midwest.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:01 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times
Wilmington, Delaware or Wilmington, North Carolina? I'm assuming my city, but just checking.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:01 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Buffalo. Maybe Erie, PA

Old 06-20-2016, 08:09 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Philly.

Philly is similar to Cincy. It has a very German heritage, similar architecture, and the climate is similar. Similar to Columbus in that there is a large college educated population, similar to most Midwest locales in that Hispanics are significant, and finally, similar in a Middle American cultural fashion. Philly is an "everycity" representative of American culture as a whole rather than specifically one region. Same with the Midwest.
Well I live in Philly's Germantown neighborhood-and there really is no German heritage/culture left and hasn't been for probably a Century or more LOL. It has been Irish/Italian/Jewish and now mostly African-American today and for the last several decades. I can't think of anywhere else in Philly that is known for "German heritage" really, at least in this Century and last. Maybe you say that because of the Quaker history?

I've also never heard Philly/Cincy described as similar either but I've only been to Cleveland and the surrounding area in Ohio. Baltimore probably has the most in common with Philly architecturally, but Philly is pretty unique in this regard.

Philly does not have a "large college educated population" overall although Center City stands out. Maybe you mean a large student population?

But since when do most locales in the Midwest have significant Hispanic populations? Aren't Chicago and Cleveland the only major cities in the Midwest with this? And what is "Middle American culture"? Care to describe?

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 06-20-2016 at 08:24 PM..

Old 06-20-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
No, not at all.
You're arguing that DC feels more like Wilmington, Philly, Camden, Newark, etc than Baltimore???? I think you'd be one of precious few to make such an argument.

Quote:
DC doesn't feel Northeastern at all, but it does feel "east coast" in the sense that BajanYankee is defining.
He was being facetious.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Wilmington, Delaware or Wilmington, North Carolina? I'm assuming my city, but just checking.
"East Coast" refers to the Bos-Wash corridor 99% of the time on C-D. The poll options pretty much tell which Wilmington is being referred to.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 06-20-2016 at 08:26 PM..

Old 06-20-2016, 08:18 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"East Coast" refers to the Bos-Wash corridor 99% of the time on C-D. The polls options pretty much tell which Wilmington is being referred to.
That's what I gathered, but Richmond being on there made me do a double take. Guess it's at the extreme end of BosWash, but doesn't really scream "East Coast" in the classic sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.