Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 06:37 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
LMAO Pittsburgh isn't Rust Belt? It is the epitomy of Rust Belt. The steel and other manufacturing industries, the population loss...all screams Rust Belt. If Pittsburgh isn't Rust Belt, there is no Rust Belt.
Well...
1) I live here and wasn't born here so I have a much more objective view of the city.
2) I have lived throughout the East Coast in major cities
3) I have lived outside Buffalo and worked in the city
4) I visit the Rust Belt cities of Ohio and NY constantly

As I said, Pittsburgh is much closer in attitude to DC and Philly than the Ohio or NY cities. Even Youngstown and Pittsburgh are completely opposite in character and they are only a couple hours apart.

Last edited by bluecarebear; 06-22-2016 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 06:50 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Being a Rust Belt city isn't about "attitude" though. Depending on the geographical parameters you wish to use, there are several East Coast cities that could be considered Rust Belt based on their industrial histories such as Baltimore, Camden, Newark, Bridgeport, etc. Even Philly could fit the definition as it has a very palpable post-industrial flavor to it.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:05 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Being a Rust Belt city isn't about "attitude" though. Depending on the geographical parameters you wish to use, there are several East Coast cities that could be considered Rust Belt based on their industrial histories such as Baltimore, Camden, Newark, Bridgeport, etc. Even Philly could fit the definition as it has a very palpable post-industrial flavor to it.
In that case, you should add in the industrial cities of Massachusetts.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:29 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Well...
1) I live here and wasn't born here so I have a much more objective view of the city.

As I said, Pittsburgh is much closer in attitude to DC and Philly than the Ohio or NY cities. Even Youngstown and Pittsburgh are completely opposite in character and they are only a couple hours apart.
Pittsburgh is nothing like D.C. and is really not that similar to Philly. I get it if you don't consider Pittsburgh to be a part of the Midwest but you're really downplaying Pittsburgh's industrial history, hell it's known as Steel City lol.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:30 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Philadelphia and Baltimore are also Rust Belts almost as every bit as Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cleveland, St Louis, Detroit .. Even Boston has traits of a being a Rust Belt city .... They get overlooked simply because they're in the lavish Acela corridor... And just like many other City-Data exclusive oxymorons, We all know you can't be Rust Belt and have i-95 run through your town.
Rust Belt isn't a name given to formerly heavy industrial cities, it's also based on geography near the lakes.

Chicago-Milwaukee-Detroit-Toledo-Cleveland-Pittsburgh-Buffalo are what people are talking about. Not Philly or Trenton or anything.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:35 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,858,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
And Pittsburgh is considerably closer to Cleveland than it is to Philly. Despite the protests of a single poster, most folks recognize that the culture of the I95 cities are more similar to one another than they are to their interior NE cousins.
Agreed. The interior NE actually has more in common with the Midwest than it does with the Bos-Wash corridor.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:36 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Rust Belt isn't a name given to formerly heavy industrial cities, it's also based on geography near the lakes.

Chicago-Milwaukee-Detroit-Toledo-Cleveland-Pittsburgh-Buffalo are what people are talking about. Not Philly or Trenton or anything.
Pittsburgh isn't really near the Great Lakes though. It's around as far from them as Columbus or Indianapolis is. Locals may go up to Erie once per summer to go to Presque Isle, but they're just as likely to go camping in the woods, or travel to the Jersey Shore or the Outer Banks for vacation.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

Not all Rust Belt cities are on the Great Lakes. Pittsburgh and St. Louis aren't for starters and there's no way one could consider these cities to be anything but Rust Belt.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Well...

Pittsburgh is more similar to Cleveland and Buffalo than to DC or Philly in just about every way.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:54 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Pittsburgh is more similar to Cleveland and Buffalo than to DC or Philly in just about every way.
I'd actually disagree. Pittsburgh isn't all that similar to Buffalo or Cleveland, despite the cities being relatively close. Different accents, different built vernacular - really nothing in common but a shared industrial heritage. The closest sister city to Pittsburgh in the Midwest is Cincinnati, despite being a longer distance away. Similar architecture, similar accents, similar topography, and the same river setting.

There is not, however, a huge cultural gulf between Philly and Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has over a dozen rowhouse neighborhoods which wouldn't look out of place in Philly. And the accents are not incredibly different either. My mother recently moved here. She grew up in Philly, like most of my extended family. She meets individual people with accents so close to Philly she has to remind herself all the time she's not back east. Particularly when you compare the working-class white neighborhoods of the two cities, there just isn't that huge of a difference.

Pittsburgh does have a significant Appalachian influence, which is why it feels somewhat different to someone from the East Coast. People often mistakenly conclude this is Midwestern. I've always said that culturally speaking Pittsburgh is something like 40% Appalachian, 40% East Coast, and 20% Midwestern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.