Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 04:35 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
The rust belt stretches from the Great Lakes to the Ohio River and west to the Mississippi. It includes a few cities just across those boundaries, like the gimmes (St. Louis, Quad Cities), and some less obvious ones that fit the bill (Minneapolis-St. Paul, Louisville). As for the eastern boundary, I would say that it's the east coast. Baltimore, Philly and a lot of New Jersey (think Camden, Newark) and parts of western Massachusetts, interior Pennsylvania, and upstate Mew York (Utica, Schenectady, Syracuse) all qualify. If it is optional to include rust belt revival cities, I would even say New York City gets included (had a huge industrial down forum in the 70s and greatly suffered as a result). Birmingham and possibly Memphis, as well as Pine Bluff, are all southern enclaves.
No place in the South is rust belt. Including Louisville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 04:56 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Only far northern Indiana is rust belt. The rest of the state is doing well economically.
A lot of rust belt cities are doing well economically, they're just not where they were in the 50s or 60s. Rust Belt does not mean the city is currently struggling or in economic decline.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:53 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,889,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
1. Colonial history runs much deeper in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh became a boomtown after the revolution

2. Substantially less dense: Pittsburgh = 5,540/sq mi Philly = 11,635.3/sq mi

3. Geographically much different, Pittsburgh has extremely steep hills/inclines, Philadelphia is virtually flat and part of the eastern coastal plain

4. Philadelphia has a naval yard, a port and The Delaware River feeds into the Atlantic

5. Pittsburgh has an Appalachian influence, it wouldn't be what it is today with the hills, the oil and the coal of Appalachia

6. Philly is 42% African-American its largest racial group, Pittsburgh is 65% white its largest racial group

7. Substantially different accents.

8. Philadelphia has a lot more "Big city" amenities which makes sense consider Pittsburgh metro is about 2.3 million compared Philly's 7.1 million.

9. Pittsburgh does not have anything that compares to Center City.

10. Philadelphia, although affordable, is significantly more expensive. For example, renting in Philly costs about 1/3 more than it does in Pitt.
Your arguing semantics... I was talking culturally and way of life.

Both cities are former Rust Belts

Both cities have heavy Blighted neighborhoods

Philly is heavily Blue Collar, Blighted and ghetto outside of Center City. Pittsburgh is heavily Blue Collar, blighted and Ghetto outside of greater Downtown and East End, which when put together pretty much is Center City.

Both cities are Sports finatics with NFL being the far and away dominate sport.

Pittsburgh was clearly a descendant of Philly/Baltimore's Rowhouse culture.

Both cities have a heavy Duplex housing culture, and less (until recently) of an apartment culture.

Very much same types of Drivers

Both cities use the terms Hogies, Grinders,

Yinzer/Negadelphians = same person

AA have the same characteristics and lifestyle patterns.

Philadelphia COL is more but not by much, and Pittsburgh is catching up that department. Pittsburgh has higher incomes than Philly as well.

How big (or small) is your city

No one said Pittsburgh is 1 for 1 like Philly... No city in the us has an exact twin... But as history, census data and migration patterns have shown. Pittsburgh clearly has more in common with Philadelphia and even Baltimore than it does Cleveland.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:56 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Your arguing semantics... I was talking culturally and way of life.

Both cities are former Rust Belts

Both cities have heavy Blighted neighborhoods

Philly is heavily Blue Collar, Blighted and ghetto outside of Center City. Pittsburgh is heavily Blue Collar, blighted and Ghetto outside of greater Downtown and East End, which when put together pretty much is Center City.

Both cities are Sports finatics with NFL being the far and away dominate sport.

Pittsburgh was clearly a descendant of Philly/Baltimore's Rowhouse culture.

Both cities have a heavy Duplex housing culture, and less (until recently) of an apartment culture.

Very much same types of Drivers

Both cities use the terms Hogies, Grinders,

Yinzer/Negadelphians = same person

AA have the same characteristics and lifestyle patterns.

Philadelphia COL is more but not by much, and Pittsburgh is catching up that department. Pittsburgh has higher incomes than Philly as well.

How big (or small) is your city

No one said Pittsburgh is 1 for 1 like Philly... No city in the us has an exact twin... But as history, census data and migration patterns have shown. Pittsburgh clearly has more in common with Philadelphia and even Baltimore than it does Cleveland.
Agree to disagree. Neither of us are going to change the other's mind but I appreciate your post nonetheless.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:32 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
FWIW I wasn't arguing that Philadelphia was Pittsburgh's twin. But I do think the three cities that Pittsburgh shares the most in common with are Philly, Cincinnati, and Baltimore. Pittsburgh has its own unique twists versus all of those cities of course. Like we have a higher white percentage than any other medium-to-large sized city other than Portland and maybe Seattle. But we're still more akin to a mashup of those three than anything else.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:51 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,889,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Agree to disagree. Neither of us are going to change the other's mind but I appreciate your post nonetheless.
Yes, especially when you've admitted you really know nothing about Pittsburgh so you can't make a clear comparison. When you've lived and experienced both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia like I have then we can debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
FWIW I wasn't arguing that Philadelphia was Pittsburgh's twin. But I do think the three cities that Pittsburgh shares the most in common with are Philly, Cincinnati, and Baltimore. Pittsburgh has its own unique twists versus all of those cities of course. Like we have a higher white percentage than any other medium-to-large sized city other than Portland and maybe Seattle. But we're still more akin to a mashup of those three than anything else.
I'll agree with that, even though I've never been to Cincy. Just like I will say, Philly has the most in common with New York, Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:02 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Yes, especially when you've admitted you really know nothing about Pittsburgh so you can't make a clear comparison. When you've lived and experienced both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia like I have then we can debate.

I'll agree with that, even though I've never been to Cincy. Just like I will say, Philly has the most in common with New York, Baltimore and Pittsburgh.
And it seems you don't know much about Philly when you claim it is all blighted and ghetto outside Center City. This is not the first time you've made this claim, and not the first time you've been corrected but obviously you have your mind set in stone...

That can't even be said for any region of Philly-Northwest/Northeast especially but also West, South and yes even Southwest and North-they all have their nice neighborhoods.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:09 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
And it seems you don't know much about Philly when you claim it is all blighted and ghetto outside Center City. This is not the first time you've made this claim, and not the first time you've been corrected but obviously you have your mind set in stone...

That can't even be said for any region of Philly-Northwest/Northeast especially but also West, South and yes even Southwest and North-they all have their nice neighborhoods.
To be fair, her claim that Pittsburgh is blighted outside of Downtown/the East End is also false. Most of Pittsburgh south of the Mon and Ohio is intact, working-class white, in slight decline, and unfashionable. Sort of similar to the role that the great Northeast plays in Philly.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:10 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
To be fair, her claim that Pittsburgh is blighted outside of Downtown/the East End is also false. Most of Pittsburgh south of the Mon and Ohio is intact, working-class white, in slight decline, and unfashionable. Sort of similar to the role that the great Northeast plays in Philly.
Yeah I didn't know enough to dispute it but figured that was amiss. It's just ironic because the wealthiest neighborhood in Philly is in the Northwest part of the city and the "hottest" is in South Philly.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:44 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,054,645 times
Some cities, like Birmingham, may be "rust towns" (for lack of a better term), but because they are outside of the geographic region of the Rustbelt (great lakes), and for other reasons, I exclude them from the Rustbelt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.