Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 07:15 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Northern Appalachia is a polar opposite of Southern Appalachia, such to the point the two can never be grouped together.
Which is why Birmingham is called the Pittsburgh of the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 07:18 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Northern Appalachia is a polar opposite of Southern Appalachia, such to the point the two can never be grouped together.
You could probably say the same for the Great Lakes and Great Plains regions.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:18 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
There's differences, but they are hardly polar opposites. It's hard to determine where one gives way to another. I'd argue around 1/3rd of the way through West Virginia, but other lines are equally defensible. I've certainly met people from rural Southwestern Pennsylvania with quasi-southern accents. Then again, I've met people from rural Central Ohio with them too.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:06 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There's differences, but they are hardly polar opposites. It's hard to determine where one gives way to another. I'd argue around 1/3rd of the way through West Virginia, but other lines are equally defensible. I've certainly met people from rural Southwestern Pennsylvania with quasi-southern accents. Then again, I've met people from rural Central Ohio with them too.
Your experiences contradict professional linguistic studies, so I'm supposed to believe you over them? Northern Appalachia is culturally, linguistically, historically, and demographically different from Southern Appalachia.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You could probably say the same for the Great Lakes and Great Plains regions.
No you couldn't. The Great Plains and Great Lakes aren't exactly polar opposites. If they were, why would they both be included in the Midwest?

Old 06-23-2016, 08:11 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
No you couldn't. The Great Plains and Great Lakes aren't exactly polar opposites. If they were, why would they both be included in the Midwest?
Industrialized and agrarian are pretty close to opposites. I know those labels are less true in modern times, but agribusiness is still king in the Plains.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:27 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Your experiences contradict professional linguistic studies, so I'm supposed to believe you over them? Northern Appalachia is culturally, linguistically, historically, and demographically different from Southern Appalachia.
The "Midland" accent region is a portion of the country where northern and southern speech patterns mix. To my Yankified ears (I grew up in New England) a lot of people in the Midlands have a semi-southern twang to their accents.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:57 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:
Industrialized and agrarian are pretty close to opposites. I know those labels are less true in modern times, but agribusiness is still king in the Plains.
Yes and no...but mostly no. The biggest cities of the Great Plains, Omaha, KC and Minneapolis were all industrial processing centers for agricultural products, not "cowtowns", the same way Pittsburgh or Cleveland were industrial processing centers for extracted natural resources, not "mining towns".

And the "farming" of today is more akin to our conception of industrial labor than the pastoral "working the land" imaginings of non-farmers. The Great Plains are basically an enormous food factory without the benefit of organized labor.

Not that those cities should be included in any list of 'Rust Belt" cities, they are "Grain Belt" cities, but their connection to their agrarian past is more based in stockyards, grain mills, slaughterhouses and rail yards than cattle drives and cowboys. But the "Rust Belt" and "the Midwest" are not synonyms.

To say nothing of the fact that the rural Great Lakes is everybit as "agrarian" as the rural Great Plains. The real reason they are both included in our idea of the Midwest, is that the Great Lakes states very consciously and calculatingly marketed themselves as part of the Midwest (which is a term originally used to primarily describe Kansas and Nebraska, and to a lesser degree Iowa, Missouri, even Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia) to attract emigrants and settlers.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
The culture, linguistics, and demographics are not nearly enough to be polar opposites, I'm sorry. Your argument is weak.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Yes and no...but mostly no. The biggest cities of the Great Plains, Omaha, KC and Minneapolis were all industrial processing centers for agricultural products, not "cowtowns", the same way Pittsburgh or Cleveland were industrial processing centers for extracted natural resources, not "mining towns".

And the "farming" of today is more akin to our conception of industrial labor than the pastoral "working the land" imaginings of non-farmers. The Great Plains are basically an enormous food factory without the benefit of organized labor.

Not that those cities should be included in any list of 'Rust Belt" cities, they are "Grain Belt" cities, but their connection to their agrarian past is more based in stockyards, grain mills, slaughterhouses and rail yards than cattle drives and cowboys. But the "Rust Belt" and "the Midwest" are not synonyms.

To say nothing of the fact that the rural Great Lakes is everybit as "agrarian" as the rural Great Plains. The real reason they are both included in our idea of the Midwest, is that the Great Lakes states very consciously and calculatingly marketed themselves as part of the Midwest (which is a term originally used to primarily describe Kansas and Nebraska, and to a lesser degree Iowa, Missouri, even Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia) to attract emigrants and settlers.
Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia are not Midwestern at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.