Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 12:58 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times

Advertisements

What do you think consists of the Rust Belt?
Obviously Cleveland, Milwaukee, Buffalo, Detroit, Akron. Youngstown, Pittsburgh and Erie are all clearly rustbelt.
but the question is at what point does the Rustbelt end?
Is Cincinnati, Louisville, or Evansville Rustbelt? They were distinct from say Milwaukee as they were river port towns prior to industrialization and have historys distinct from Buffalo, Cleveland, Akron and such.
Are the Erie Canal towns of NY (Utica, Rome etc) Rustbelt? They have a clear difference in history, and had much earlier booms.
How about former industrial cities in New England? Lowell, Pawtucket, Pittsfield etc. had light industry (Textiles) as opposed to steel or Automobile manufacturing, are they Rustbelt? (also industry left about 30 years earlier.)
However all these cities have had some degree of depopulation and deindustrialization but I would hesitate to put them all in one region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 01:24 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
What do you think consists of the Rust Belt?
Obviously Cleveland, Milwaukee, Buffalo, Detroit, Akron. Youngstown, Pittsburgh and Erie are all clearly rustbelt.
but the question is at what point does the Rustbelt end?
Is Cincinnati, Louisville, or Evansville Rustbelt? They were distinct from say Milwaukee as they were river port towns prior to industrialization and have historys distinct from Buffalo, Cleveland, Akron and such.
Are the Erie Canal towns of NY (Utica, Rome etc) Rustbelt? They have a clear difference in history, and had much earlier booms.
How about former industrial cities in New England? Lowell, Pawtucket, Pittsfield etc. had light industry (Textiles) as opposed to steel or Automobile manufacturing, are they Rustbelt? (also industry left about 30 years earlier.)
However all these cities have had some degree of depopulation and deindustrialization but I would hesitate to put them all in one region.
The rust belt has no clear geographical boundaries. It's more used as a descriptor of any city which hasn't "gotten it's groove back" economically from the decline of manufacturing than anything. Cities can be surrounded by Rust Belt metros but not be rust belt themselves (Columbus) or considered to be part of the Rust Belt even if they're geographically quite far from it (Baltimore, Duluth, or even Birmingham).

Old 06-20-2016, 01:41 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,860,712 times
I would say the westernmost extent of the Rustbelt would be St. Louis and the Quad cities. I don't consider Louisville a Rust Belt city as it never deteriorated in the way most Rust Belt cities did. I would say the true Rust Belt cities are St. Louis, Cincinnati, Detroit, Milwaukee, and Cleveland.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:15 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The rust belt has no clear geographical boundaries. It's more used as a descriptor of any city which hasn't "gotten it's groove back" economically from the decline of manufacturing than anything. Cities can be surrounded by Rust Belt metros but not be rust belt themselves (Columbus) or considered to be part of the Rust Belt even if they're geographically quite far from it (Baltimore, Duluth, or even Birmingham).
I agree with this. I would consider Newark, Paterson, and Trenton, New Jersey to be rust belt cities but I don't think anyone would refer to New York as rust belt. Furthermore, Cleveland, Akron, Toledo etc. are rust belt cities but Columbus isn't. It's more to do with economic conditions and population decline than geographic location. Richmond, California, a city that developed from manufacturing war ships during the second world war could be considered rust belt based on this non-geographic definition but if you're using a strict geographic definition that I would obviously exclude it.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:25 PM

870 posts, read 1,569,687 times
I think this is a pretty good map. It shows what is traditionally known as the Rust Belt. I think Charleston, WV should be included though. It has a very Rust Belt feel and economy.

https://rustwire.files.wordpress.com.../picture-1.png

Old 06-20-2016, 03:38 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I agree with this. I would consider Newark, Paterson, and Trenton, New Jersey to be rust belt cities...
Camden should definitely be included if we're going this far eastward.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:22 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Philadelphia and Baltimore are also Rust Belts almost as every bit as Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cleveland, St Louis, Detroit .. Even Boston has traits of a being a Rust Belt city .... They get overlooked simply because they're in the lavish Acela corridor... And just like many other City-Data exclusive oxymorons, We all know you can't be Rust Belt and have i-95 run through your town.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:05 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Philadelphia and Baltimore are also Rust Belts almost as every bit as Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cleveland, St Louis, Detroit .. Even Boston has traits of a being a Rust Belt city .... They get overlooked simply because they're in the lavish Acela corridor... And just like many other City-Data exclusive oxymorons, We all know you can't be Rust Belt and have i-95 run through your town.
Particularly the Boston area doesn't fit, for a few reasons
1) It deindustrialized earlier thus retooled its economy earlier
2) industrial work was always for the working poor in Boston not the middle class like in Detroit, thus the working class areas of the metro, Somerville, Dorchester, Chelsea are populated with Triple Deckers as opposed to single family homes common in most of the Rustbelt.
3) Boston didn't lose as much population as any of the Rustbelt cities.
Boston doesn't fit, Baltimore and Philly might, because they had much more heavy industry than Boston.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:06 PM

150 posts, read 219,211 times
Kentucky and Ohio are Rust Belt. Parts of West VA. Virginia is definitely not rust belt, though. Neither is D.C.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:10 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,860,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
I think this is a pretty good map. It shows what is traditionally known as the Rust Belt. I think Charleston, WV should be included though. It has a very Rust Belt feel and economy.

https://rustwire.files.wordpress.com.../picture-1.png
St. Louis and the Quad Cities are definitely part of the Rust Belt. That is a poor map to leave out those cities. Also, Charleston, WV is Southern...it doesn't have the culture of a Rust Belt city not to mention it wasn't a city that gained in population during the Great Migration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.