Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What counts as having visited a state?
Any physical presence at ground level for any amount of time 37 42.05%
Any physical presence at ground level, except for federal highways 0 0%
Any physical presence at ground level, but not while in the car 25 28.41%
Visiting a specific destination within the state, out of the car 20 22.73%
Switching airports and flying over 1 1.14%
Spending at least one night within the state 5 5.68%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 06:06 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The issue with the last one is say you live in Jersey City, you probably never stayed the night in NYC but certainly you have visited there. Same thing with most daytrip locations, particularly in the Northeast, tons of people in Massachusetts have never stayed the night in NH but have been to Hampton Beach or Rockingham Park.
Exactly. I've been to NYC numerous times, but I have never spent a night there.

Edit: Never mind - actually I did once... almost forgot... but I had been there numerous times before I spent my first night.

I've been to Montreal, but never spent a night there. I have the pictures to prove it. Same with Puerto Rico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 06:07 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
I can't believe "Any physical presence at ground level for any amount of time" is winning. So if I'm driving from Connecticut to Massachusetts and get out at a rest stop for a 5 min. to stretch that means I've visited Road Island? LOL okay...

Old 06-22-2016, 06:29 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Yeah, these's a reason people do that, but it still has no effect on whether you've actually visited a state. For example, if I say I've "been to" state x, it could mean, for example, having spent 1 single there, or having lived there for a year, etc. So one might want to specify that as well.
I agree, but I think we're questioning what the bare minimum requirements are for visiting a state.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:22 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
I've driven through several states, but I cannot really say I've "visited" them. Visited to me implies that you spent some time looking around, shopping, walking.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:46 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,148 times
I've thought a lot about this. I think physically being on the ground, in a vehicle or otherwise, means you've been to the state. I can be kind of a literalist sometimes, and who cares if you're in the airport? You're still in the state. If you're not in the state, where are you?

But these technicalities do still bother me. Fortunately, there are no states left where I've only been inside the airport, but there are two that are debatable: West Virginia, which I drove through without stopping, and Kentucky, where I flew in and out of the Cincinnati airport but only stopped inside the state to fill up my rental car with gas.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:08 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
At least an hour on ground, outside of a vehicle or airport.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:08 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Yeah, I think the appropriate conclusion is that ANY amount of time spent within the legal boundaries of a state for ANY reason, whether simply traveling through or visiting a destination should count as having visited that state. It's a bare minimum standard, but oh well. Even something as simple as driving through can be substantial for someone to make good observations of the state and sightseeing, etc.

Here's an example. Let's say that someone drives through the entire length of I-95 in Connecticut on the way from NYC to Boston. That person gets to make plenty of observation and sightseeing along those 100+ miles they are driving through. Now, let's say a different person who has never been to CT, but lives in NYC, goes to a house party in the extreme southwestern corner of CT. Which of these two people can you say have had a better visitation experience of CT?

Old 06-22-2016, 10:28 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
I've only driven through Indiana. Didn't even stop for gas, and was pretty much making a bee line to Chicago. Thus I get pulled over for doing 80 in a 70 mph zone. Handsome and friendly officer lets me go with a warning. I count that memory as having been to Indiana, good enough.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:16 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
If you've driven through state lines, you've visited those state.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:26 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Here's an example. Let's say that someone drives through the entire length of I-95 in Connecticut on the way from NYC to Boston. That person gets to make plenty of observation and sightseeing along those 100+ miles they are driving through. Now, let's say a different person who has never been to CT, but lives in NYC, goes to a house party in the extreme southwestern corner of CT. Which of these two people can you say have had a better visitation experience of CT?
I'd say the person who got off the interstate, saw an actual town, a neighborhood in said town, and actually interacted with the people. Driving on the highway through most states, you see a little more than trees and fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.