Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 08:49 PM

29 posts, read 29,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Yep. In fact, medical costs are the most common reason for bankruptcy in the US.
So you admit this? then why did you move to the U.S from Canada. I wouldn't complain if I were you, you chose to move there which you say "you love" (in other threads) so you also chose to incur astronomical health care costs.

I have read your posts on the Canada forum many times, you also try to "put down" Canada and try to brag about "your new and much better life in the states". But every so often you'll backtrack and pretend to be a "proud Canadian" again and critique the U.S. Then threads later you'll bash Canada again in a "snide" way. I was seen you call other Canadians "ignorant" about our country and the U.S and you even made fun of the way your Canadian "relatives" speak back home ("aboot" is it? remember you argued how they and WE all say "aboot"). I get really tired of people like you some times.

Last edited by Cruiser755; 06-23-2016 at 09:29 PM..

Old 06-23-2016, 09:10 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
About, aboot, whatever. It not like a person of average intelligence can't figure that one out.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:24 PM

533 posts, read 642,960 times
The US is NOT the best place to be if you are poor or don't have a degree in one of the desired fields. BUT if you are well educated in fields like engineering, accounting, business, etc. it is still the best place to be. The wages to cost of living ratio for such people cannot be beat. In Europe, overall the lifestyle is more relaxed but there is heavy reliance on the governments for social security. Most of these countries are not as populated as the US and issues can be addressed and rules can be enforced relatively easily. Also these countries are more cohesive because of common ancestry and hence share common beliefs making it easier to pass laws. The US still does remarkably well for the size of the country that is multicultural with such diverse backgrounds. Our polarized politics is a mess though and needs to be fixed.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:30 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
There's a reason why the US NEVER makes the lists of best countries in the world to live/highest quality of life. Not saying that it doesn't beat most of the world but IMO places like Norway and the rest of Scandinavia are just so far ahead of the US. The US is great if you have $$$ but there is a culture of inequality and violence and guns here that needs to be addressed before the US can even begin to approach those countries in terms of development. I just got back from Norway. Even though it's one of the most expensive countries in the world for foreigners, I saw literally 2 homeless people. If I visited the most expensive city in the US, I would see homeless people everywhere. Doesn't that say something about our culture and about how this country is run?

Old 06-23-2016, 09:38 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I mean it's inconceivable.

Cheap gas, cars, food. Biggest houses and lots of options.

Best financial markets, job opportunities, education.

Beautiful women (maybe we have competition from Europe and Asia here), so many activities both affordable and expensive.

I can go on all day!!

It comes as a surprise to me.

Maybe things were better in '60s or '90s but i wasn't there at the time but i think overall US is still the best choice right?

What say you?
Not everybody wants a big house. Sometimes location and overall QOL matter more.
Not everybody wants to drive, which is dangerous. Some people like walkable cities and good public transit.
There are job opportunities elsewhere, especially for many professionals.
Education is both cheaper, and better elsewhere in the world. For example universities in Germany are free. We do not have the best education, if anything it proves your ignorance on the topic.
The financial markets are good anywhere you move, it pays well to be in finance, and you do not need to live in the US to do it.
There are activities in many countries, many of which are cheap, if not free.

I have been other places, the US has no real massive advantages over other developed countries. It is really just different. I prefer living in an east coast walkable city...but that is because I can afford it. But I would not mind living in Europe at all. The beer is great, the food is wonderful, and neighborhoods allow one to walk and take transit. But I have these advantages where I live now too, in the US.

The point being is the US is just another developed country, and developed countries share a great deal in common, but the US is unique and different, but not necessarily better.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:41 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser755 View Post
So you admit this? then why did you move to the U.S from Canada. I wouldn't complain if I were you, you chose to move there which you say "you love" (in other threads) so you also chose to incur astronomical health care costs.

I have read your posts on the Canada forum many times, you also try to "put down" Canada and try to brag about "your new and much better life in the states". But every so often you'll backtrack and pretend to be a "proud Canadian" again and critique the U.S. Then threads late you'll bash Canada again in a "snide" way. I was seen you call other Canadians "ignorant" about our country and the U.S and you even made fun of the way your Canadian "relatives" speak back home ("aboot" is it? remember you argued how they and WE all say "aboot"). I get really tired of people like you some times.

Chill. And grow up while you're at it. I could easily report your post for the vicious personal attack it is. Please find these posts you allude to in which I "brag about my new and much better life in the US."

I am a dual citizen. I've moved around. I KNOW that there is NO utopia. Doesn't exist. I've learned other perspectives, other viewpoints, and, as a result, I can almost ALWAYS see both sides of any argument. I can understand the pros and cons to both while critically assessing both. I enjoy it, and I like to continually learn.

Therefore, yes, I can recognize the strengths and weaknesses of BOTH the US and Canada. And guess what? I'm very fond of both. There's nothing difficult about it, either; it's very easy, actually. So, if you're looking for rigid political/cultural/ethnocentric/nationalistic points of view, fueled by an insistence to see everything as one WANTS to see everything -- rather than trying to learn from other people and THEIR experiences and where they're coming from -- you've ranted to the wrong person.

And, as a child of immigrants, I also know that it's VERY common to be forever of two countries, no matter how much you love your adopted country. It's probably the norm, actually. If you think immigrants to Canada love everything about Canada and toss off what they know of their former countries, you're mistaken. There will be plenty of things about Canada they'll love and admire (probably most things), but there will also be aspects about their new land that they'll wrestle with. For many years. THAT is the immigrant experience.

Yes, I am a proud American. And a proud Canadian...And a proud Scot. YOU don't get to dictate to other people what they should think or not think. YOU can't insist that people choose ONE side or ONE point of view. Not all of us want to. The world isn't only black or white, and life isn't so simplistic. Thank God.

Incidentally, I don't have "astronomical health care costs." I usually have NO healthcare costs. I've been fortunate enough to always have excellent health and healthcare in the US, so it's been fine. But I realize that could quickly change, as it can and does for many hard working, decent Americans. As an American, I join other Americans to hopefully change that particular aspect of the US for the better.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 06-23-2016 at 10:52 PM..

Old 06-24-2016, 07:44 AM

306 posts, read 336,590 times
I am one of those who do not want to live in the USA.

Over the last three years, I have been (what I call) a part-time missionary, leading short to mid range missions trips from 3 months to a year. Most countries I've spent one month in, living with and serving the people there - others more time. I have been to Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe, and Central and South America, covering about 30 countries.

In my experience, as far as happiness of the general population, America is easily in the bottom three or four that I've been to, along with Malaysia, Kosovo, and Japan. Americans tend to be extremely discontent, and always searching for more. There's a great book called "Affluenza" written by a couple Aussies that articulately covers the "growth fetish" (as they put it) that keeps citizens of affluent countries from being satisfied and gleeful.

There are many other reasons I would like to live elsewhere, but this is far and away the biggest one. Attitude is contagious, and I love being surrounded by those who are content moreso by who they are than what they have. Whether I work as a missionary or in the secular sector, I believe I want to live in southern Africa. Every time I'm there, I feel home, and I can't get a smile off my face. When I come back to the USA, I feel less at home each time I return.

Don't get me wrong - the USA is great. I'm very fortunate and grateful to have been born here, and it is a fantastic, unique, wonderful country full of great people. I just feel that my home is elsewhere.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:50 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Happy View Post
I am one of those who do not want to live in the USA.

Over the last three years, I have been (what I call) a part-time missionary, leading short to mid range missions trips from 3 months to a year. Most countries I've spent one month in, living with and serving the people there - others more time. I have been to Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe, and Central and South America, covering about 30 countries.

In my experience, as far as happiness of the general population, America is easily in the bottom three or four that I've been to, along with Malaysia, Kosovo, and Japan. Americans tend to be extremely discontent, and always searching for more. There's a great book called "Affluenza" written by a couple Aussies that articulately covers the "growth fetish" (as they put it) that keeps citizens of affluent countries from being satisfied and gleeful.

There are many other reasons I would like to live elsewhere, but this is far and away the biggest one. Attitude is contagious, and I love being surrounded by those who are content moreso by who they are than what they have. Whether I work as a missionary or in the secular sector, I believe I want to live in southern Africa. Every time I'm there, I feel home, and I can't get a smile off my face. When I come back to the USA, I feel less at home each time I return.

Don't get me wrong - the USA is great. I'm very fortunate and grateful to have been born here, and it is a fantastic, unique, wonderful country full of great people. I just feel that my home is elsewhere.
So where do you wanna live?

Old 06-24-2016, 08:48 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
I'd jump at the opportunity to live in France again. The US lacks culture. Well, it lacks culture I'm interested in. I love bakeries, museums, old buildings, and not having to drive everywhere. There are few places in the US that offer this kind of living experience. I live in Dallas, TX and although we have plenty of museums and good restaurants, having to drive everywhere is kind of a bummer.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:59 AM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
The US is NOT the best place to be if you are poor or don't have a degree in one of the desired fields. BUT if you are well educated in fields like engineering, accounting, business, etc. it is still the best place to be.
Yes, if you are intelligent and hardworking, then the U.S. is still probably the best country to live in from an economic standpoint. The U.S. has by far the most self-made millionaires of any country in the world. The formula for achieving success in this country is very simple.

Having said that, the gap between the U.S. and other countries has narrowed substantially over the past few decades. So, it's difficult to say if the U.S. will still be #1 a hundred years from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.