Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 12:33 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,750,363 times

Advertisements

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. Los Angeles
5. New Orleans
6. Houston
7. Washington, D.C.
8. Atlanta
9. Boston
10. Las Vegas

Interesting list. I kind of figured 1,2, and 4 because of their size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 01:06 AM

401 posts, read 2,598,048 times
List seems to be right on to me

Old 02-17-2008, 06:56 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,543,981 times
All large cities today have plenty of great restaurants to choose from so if your favorite in not included it is because there are just to many of them. I think the list is fine. I love seafood so I would add Seattle and Baltimore to the list.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:11 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,037,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
All large cities today have plenty of great restaurants to choose from so if your favorite in not included it is because there are just to many of them. I think the list is fine. I love seafood so I would add Seattle and Baltimore to the list.
I honestly think smaller cities have better resturants.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:45 AM

422 posts, read 753,108 times
Lists like this are garbage. My family used to live in New York, and we hardly ever ate out because it was so expensive. A slice of pizza at a Sbarro in Manhattan is like $6.

You need to balance what's available with how much people typically make. Overall, we're able to enjoy much better restaurants (and more frequently) here in Ohio, than we ever did in New York. The fact that New York has lots of $1000 a plate celebrity chef restaurants is basically meaningless to middle class folks like us.

San Fransisco is another city that I think is vastly overrated in terms of what you get for what you pay for.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:36 AM

13,336 posts, read 39,705,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Lists like this are garbage. My family used to live in New York, and we hardly ever ate out because it was so expensive. A slice of pizza at a Sbarro in Manhattan is like $6.

You need to balance what's available with how much people typically make. Overall, we're able to enjoy much better restaurants (and more frequently) here in Ohio, than we ever did in New York. The fact that New York has lots of $1000 a plate celebrity chef restaurants is basically meaningless to middle class folks like us.

San Fransisco is another city that I think is vastly overrated in terms of what you get for what you pay for.
I agree with you. However, given that this list was in Forbes, I don't think they took cost into consideration.

If they did, then I think New Orleans would probably be #1. Not only does it have absolutely amazing food on every street corner, it's CHEAP.

Having said that, I've had outstanding food in every city I've visited in this country. Just avoid the chain restaurants and look for the places with the biggest lines and you'll have a great dining experience.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:49 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,379,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I agree with you. However, given that this list was in Forbes, I don't think they took cost into consideration.
Obviously we know the readership of Forbes. But these top ten lists eat away at their reputation. The choices are usually ridiculous.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:06 PM

93 posts, read 246,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post

I can't speak for New York, but in Chicago there are plenty of very good, yet inexpensive restaurants. Of course, there are also plenty of restaurants where you can spend as much as you want, but the good restaurants are by no means limited to the expensive ones. On my street alone, there are more places than I can count where I could go to get high quality food of any variety for $5-$10 for a full meal.

I actually used to live in Ohio (Cincinnati) and have spent some time in all the major cities in that state. While I was always impressed at the number of quality restaurants in Cincinnati (for a city its size), I don't think any city in Ohio can hold a candle to most of the cities on that list. Moreover, the really good restaurants in Ohio (or Cincinnati, at least) were clustered mainly at the high end. There really weren't that many choices for inexpensive, quick food beyond fast food and chains - not to say there weren't any, just that there weren't that many.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:11 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,652,563 times
Omaha has some really great restaurants too.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:33 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,543,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I honestly think smaller cities have better resturants.

Actually you may be right. I still think two of the best meals I ever had in my life were in Minot, North Dakota and Grand Island, Nebraska. I always remember those meals and they were years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.