Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 05:50 PM

379 posts, read 289,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I believe I posted this elsewhere, but this has been the biggest adjustment for me. It gets hot during the day, yes, but it also gets hot during the day in most other states. However, you do get a cool down at night in other states. But in Dallas, the temps stay in the upper 80s and lower 90s until well after midnight. It's horrible.
A lot of that can be due to UHI from all the concrete, which retains the heat of the day, preventing temps from cooling off.

Interestingly, though, I just looked at the charts, and it appears that Houston actually averages cooler nights than Dallas during summer (at least during July and August), and at both airports too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Houston

Old 07-04-2016, 07:52 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020 View Post
A lot of that can be due to UHI from all the concrete, which retains the heat of the day, preventing temps from cooling off.

Interestingly, though, I just looked at the charts, and it appears that Houston actually averages cooler nights than Dallas during summer (at least during July and August), and at both airports too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Houston
A large part of that is the UHI. Louisville metro is notorious for this and one of the recommendations was for an additional 200,000+ trees planted in the city limits.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:32 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Proof or it didn't happen.

Is that supposed to be bad?
I think someone else found proof later in this thread so I don't need to address that. And yea, to me 80+ in fall is bad. It gets hot in those Halloween costumes.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think someone else found proof later in this thread so I don't need to address that. And yea, to me 80+ in fall is bad. It gets hot in those Halloween costumes.
Halloween is for elementary school kids, anyways, so the weather that day won't impact me. Even if it does, if the weather were warm, then one could always, you know, show a little bit more skin with those costumes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
A large part of that is the UHI. Louisville metro is notorious for this and one of the recommendations was for an additional 200,000+ trees planted in the city limits.
True, bit it is interesting that Dallas, a large city, averages slightly warmer summer nights than Houston, another large city.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:22 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,194 times
Quote:
Halloween is for elementary school kids, anyways, so the weather that day won't impact me. Even if it does, if the weather were warm, then one could always, you know, show a little bit more skin with those costumes...

True, bit it is interesting that Dallas, a large city, averages slightly warmer summer nights than Houston, another large city.
Proximity to the gulf?

Old 07-05-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Proximity to the gulf?
Houston is much closer to the Gulf, true, but you would think that would cause its nights to be warmer. Instead, average summer lows for both airports in the city are lower than at Dallas.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:34 PM

841 posts, read 825,691 times
The older I get, the less cold tolerant I am. I don't even like winter in the Birmingham, Alabama area. I have never liked heat, either, but am way more tolerant of it than I used to be. I would prefer the dry heat of the Southwest, which I actually like (within reason, I'm not saying I like a dry 110°F), but we have too many family connections in this region to relocate.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:41 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
I can't stand the cold. Rather live in the heat. Arizona for 15 yrs.,but it's not that "dry" in the summers. Last 3 summers there, it was hot and w/ an elevated dew point. Not comfortable. But, even w/it drier, try it 105-112 for 4 1/2 months and see how great you feel! It's all they talk about on the Phoenix board. If you search, you can see what an issue it is. Trapped in heat for months. He*l on earth. I'm in the South now, it's hot, but much better overall!! We get clouds, rain and cooler days sporadically. Yippee.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:36 PM

594 posts, read 698,557 times
Default I've lived in Phoenix for twenty years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I can't stand the cold. Rather live in the heat. Arizona for twenty yos.,but it's not that "dry" in the summers. Last 3 summers there, it was hot and w/ an elevated dew point. Not comfortable. But, even w/it drier, try it 105-112 for 4 1/2 months and see how great you feel! It's all they talk about on the Phoenix board. If you search, you can see what an issue it is. Trapped in heat for months. He*l on earth. I'm in the South now, it's hot, but much better overall!! We get clouds, rain and cooler days sporadically. Yippee.
Absolutely love the summer. When the sun goes down this place is heaven. Pool parties everyday, clear summer nights, beautiful women everywhere dressed and showing off.
The summertime is our wintertime, and if you call sitting poolside in the wintertime torture, I guess I will be tortured until I die, me and 5 million people and counting.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:46 PM

51 posts, read 48,404 times
Cold, definitely cold. I'd take Minneapolis over any place in the South or Desert Southwest any day of the year. I love being outside in the cold - walking, hiking, cross-country skiing, ice skating... To me, it's invigorating, as opposed to hot weather, which seems to sap my energy like a sponge.

I found a bunch of YouTube videos some time ago, of backyard hockey rinks in places like Connecticut and Ontario (and other Northern locations, obviously); I thought "Man, that really looks like fun!" Not just the skating and hockey playing, but the creativity that was involved in the design and construction. One family's backyard rink had a nearby warming hut/changing room/sauna. Now THAT's real Northern living!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.