Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 02:58 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Klister View Post
Cold, definitely cold. I'd take Minneapolis over any place in the South or Desert Southwest any day of the year. I love being outside in the cold - walking, hiking, cross-country skiing, ice skating... To me, it's invigorating, as opposed to hot weather, which seems to sap my energy like a sponge.

I found a bunch of YouTube videos some time ago, of backyard hockey rinks in places like Connecticut and Ontario (and other Northern locations, obviously); I thought "Man, that really looks like fun!" Not just the skating and hockey playing, but the creativity that was involved in the design and construction. One family's backyard rink had a nearby warming hut/changing room/sauna. Now THAT's real Northern living!
My neighbors put an ice rink in their yard every winter. They build it from scratch, and it winds up getting bigger every year. It's really cool.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:13 PM

828 posts, read 692,035 times
Hot summers over cold winters any day.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:05 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Hot hot hot. We had a stretch of 90 degree weather and lot of humidity up North. I exercised six days in a row in the heat. I am more active and energetic in the heat. After it goes below 32 I am done. I become sad and energy levels drop. There is so much prep you have to do to exercise in the cold. You can do so much more in the heat then in the cold i feel. So definitely hot hot hot.

Dreading New England winters :-( I don't know where I could live where the weather has no winter, 40 to 60 in the Spring, 80 to 100 in the Summer, and 40 to 60 in the Fall with changing leaves. Be near 30 mins near the coast and housing prices be under $200K. Not be flat, bit hilly with mountains and forest an hour away. Ha.

Last edited by RunD1987; 08-20-2016 at 06:14 AM..

Old 08-20-2016, 05:18 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Heat. I enjoy the long, hazy, lazy dog days of summer in the South.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:15 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Cold obviously, I've answered this on other threads. My favorite Koppen climate belt is DFA, boreal forest zone. I find extreme heat and humidity as well as strong sun angle in the southern 1/2 of the US to be intolerable. My cold tolerance is far greater than most Americans, I can easily deal with -15 to -20F temperatures without much wind.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:12 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Cold. I can't stand extreme heat and humidity. I would much rather be active outdoors in 30 degree weather than 90. I live in South Dakota, but in the mild part of the state. I do enjoy our summers, but other than kayaking, I prefer to do outdoor activities in the fall or winter...walking, running, hiking, snowshoeing, ice skating. I don't love everything about our winters, but overall they aren't too bad. Where I live, we generally get lots of sunshine and the snow melts quickly. We also tend to have mild days throughout the winter (50's to 70's). It's not like the gloom and doom that places in the east see. The downside is that we occasionally have to deal with crazy weather. I've seen thirty inches of snow the first week of October and thirteen inches on Mother's Day. Both times, the snow melted quickly.

Heat and humidity zap my energy. Cold invigorates me, and I also enjoy the short winter days. I love the time change and when it starts getting dark at 4:30 pm.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:26 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Cold obviously, I've answered this on other threads. My favorite Koppen climate belt is DFA, boreal forest zone. I find extreme heat and humidity as well as strong sun angle in the southern 1/2 of the US to be intolerable. My cold tolerance is far greater than most Americans, I can easily deal with -15 to -20F temperatures without much wind.
Yeah wind changes everything. It makes cold weather worse and hot weather is a 50/50. I actually like the blowdryer winds of Arizona, but many Arizonans disagree and think it makes it feel hotter. I like windy days in Arizona.

I like winter more like yourself, though I am not sure about going that cold given my background haha. I wonder if you would like Flagstaff's weather, it gets in the 80s/high 70s in the summer but snows up into April. Flagstaff has an interesting Koppen classification of Mediterranean continental that is very unique. Flagstaff is also the snowiest city in the country with 100+" of snowfall every year. It makes a great ski town, which is why Snowbowl is so popular.

I also think the cold is invigorating and the heat makes me lethargic. That's why I am looking for a way out of Arizona. I do good with the heat though, out of pure necessity, as I usually average a few miles or so every day of walking, even in the Arizona heat. After a while the walking does not seem so bad, even in 100+. Normally I'd prefer 80 and lower for outdoor activities.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:12 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
I like dry heat up to around 105 and humid heat up to around 94.

I don't like anything below 50 degrees wet or 30 degrees dry.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:24 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,653 times
Heat and humidity ALL DAY LONG over the cold. Having lived in FL, MI, MA and NH I know this for sure.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:46 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Yeah wind changes everything. It makes cold weather worse and hot weather is a 50/50. I actually like the blowdryer winds of Arizona, but many Arizonans disagree and think it makes it feel hotter. I like windy days in Arizona.

I like winter more like yourself, though I am not sure about going that cold given my background haha. I wonder if you would like Flagstaff's weather, it gets in the 80s/high 70s in the summer but snows up into April. Flagstaff has an interesting Koppen classification of Mediterranean continental that is very unique. Flagstaff is also the snowiest city in the country with 100+" of snowfall every year. It makes a great ski town, which is why Snowbowl is so popular.

I also think the cold is invigorating and the heat makes me lethargic. That's why I am looking for a way out of Arizona. I do good with the heat though, out of pure necessity, as I usually average a few miles or so every day of walking, even in the Arizona heat. After a while the walking does not seem so bad, even in 100+. Normally I'd prefer 80 and lower for outdoor activities.
Flagstaff is like the western version of a Boone, NC (higher elevated, mild climate). My main problem with Flagstaff is that it is still too dry overall, but it would be my pick if I was forced to live in Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.