Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 06:06 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times

Advertisements

I do better in the heat. Period.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:11 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Would you rather deal with really hot and humid summers (Texas or Louisiana), or really cold winters (Minnesota or the Dakotas)?

I've gone back and forth on this issue, but since I've moved to Texas, I've determined that I'd much rather deal with cold winters. Even walking to your car from the grocery store in this 95 degree humid heat leaves you feeling drained.

When I lived in Iowa, I used to work on my car in negative degree weather. As long as you bundled up, you were okay. No way I'd be able to work on my car in this Texas heat.
Lived in both, and I prefer hot and humid. Long cold winters prevent me from doing the things I enjoy most. Triple digit weather for months on end gets old after a while, but I can still get out and do stuff. I absolutely despise being stuck in the house for months on end waiting for the ice and snow to melt.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:38 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Lived in both, and I prefer hot and humid. Long cold winters prevent me from doing the things I enjoy most. Triple digit weather for months on end gets old after a while, but I can still get out and do stuff. I absolutely despise being stuck in the house for months on end waiting for the ice and snow to melt.
Hint:you don't have to stay inside when it's cold and snowy.

For me, I don't want to be a sweaty mess. I'd hate to run or play golf or hell, even take a nice stroll through a quaint downtown if it meant if be sticky, sweaty and miserable.

Winter, I go out running. I take the kids sledding. We play with the dog in snow drifts. We ice skate. Many ice fish. Cross country skiing. Biking with snow tires.

Sure you can't sit on the porch and drink a beer. So you sit under a blanket by the fire.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:24 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post

For me, I don't want to be a sweaty mess. I'd hate to run or play golf or hell, even take a nice stroll through a quaint downtown if it meant if be sticky, sweaty and miserable.

Winter, I go out running. I take the kids sledding. We play with the dog in snow drifts. We ice skate. Many ice fish. Cross country skiing. Biking with snow tires.

Sure you can't sit on the porch and drink a beer. So you sit under a blanket by the fire.
One of my main hobbies is smoking meats. You really need nice weather to do it as you're out there all day. Even if it's raining it's hard to control the temperature. Excessive winds actually make the fuel burn faster and hotter as it's just pumping oxygen in there. Cold weather requires more wood and the food gets cold if you just lift the top off checking. For me it's far preferable to have warm or hot weather for this, cold beer in hand.

The other thing I like doing is sitting on the swing drinking a beer, I have a hammock under a tree and I fall asleep under it sometimes. Nothing beats taking a nice swim on a hot day.

Different strokes for different folks...

Old 08-23-2016, 05:52 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Quote:

How do you run in the winter. Oh my I shudder at the thought ha. 6 days running 90 + weather 75% humidity AMAZING. However, soon as snow and 32 weather comes in I hibernate 2 to 3 days of running.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
How do you run in the winter. Oh my I shudder at the thought ha. 6 days running 90 + weather 75% humidity AMAZING. However, soon as snow and 32 weather comes in I hibernate 2 to 3 days of running.
They plow the bike/running paths here in MN. Hat, light gloves, thin thermal jacket, insulated pants, reg running shoes.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:14 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,552,972 times
I find the cold refreshing. True answer is neither though. I don't have to deal with either. 4 seasons. Well wait, guess I'm dealing with both.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:31 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
They plow the bike/running paths here in MN. Hat, light gloves, thin thermal jacket, insulated pants, reg running shoes.
You're still forgetting how painful cold air is to breathe when you run. I can't run in anything under 65° or it starts to hurt to breathe

Old 08-23-2016, 07:02 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Quote:
Too much ha. Shorts a shirt shoes hat bottle of water. Winter running have to either do a long or short sleeve shirt, a jacket or vest, gloves, hat, ski mask, vasoline, shoes, cleats, underwear, pants, maybe leggings, socks, and a thermal water bottle. You overheat so peel a layer then freeze due to sweating it's a pain. Then roads depending if a big storm 2 lanes become 1 lane roads. Then unlike the rain really can't run in a snow or ice storm. I run slower on the treadmill and easily bored.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You're still forgetting how painful cold air is to breathe when you run. I can't run in anything under 65° or it starts to hurt to breathe
You do know that's a pretty low tolerance for cold right? Like extremely low.

For me it doesn't begin to impact breathing till it hits around 35. I can/will run down to about 15-20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.