Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 07:40 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times

Advertisements

Breathing does start to become difficult below freezing. Ran well tried to run a marathon in the winter below 20 to start and reached max temp 25. Little under 3 hours before I pulled out. I ran in below 0 weather it's a pain and can't stay out long. As with the heat doesn't matter how long you stay out you can hydrate and cool yourself down.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:50 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You're still forgetting how painful cold air is to breathe when you run. I can't run in anything under 65° or it starts to hurt to breathe
Anything under 65, lol? I was in the Army at Ft. Drum in Upstate NY and ran 5 days a week in freezing temps for many months out of the year and felt fantastic after a nice cold run. Sometimes it's hard to get going but once you do it feels great. Give me cold over heat any day.

Was born and raised in GA and have always hated the heat. Nothing is more miserable than 95 degree heat with high humidity. Was Stationed at Ft drum in 2007 and never really left, in Rochester now. Give me the cold. You can always put more on but you can only take so much off.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:23 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Anything under 65, lol? I was in the Army at Ft. Drum in Upstate NY and ran 5 days a week in freezing temps for many months out of the year and felt fantastic after a nice cold run. Sometimes it's hard to get going but once you do it feels great. Give me cold over heat any day.

Was born and raised in GA and have always hated the heat. Nothing is more miserable than 95 degree heat with high humidity. Was Stationed at Ft drum in 2007 and never really left, in Rochester now. Give me the cold. You can always put more on but you can only take so much off.
I was from Rochester and hated it. So glad I got out. I used to go on vacation to Phoenix alot before I moved here, and everytime I would have to go home, I would almost literally cry I would get so depressed. When my plane would leave Phoenix, it would be sunny and in the 70's or 80's, but when I landed in Buffalo, it would be overcast half the time, all the trees and grass would be dead, and it would only be in the 20's or 30's. Practically made me want to kill myself. I don't know how you do it. Winter there lasts SO LOOONNNGGG too. It's already cold by mid November, and doesn't warm up again until late April. And the sun never comes out in November or December.

And besides, the hot air here is dry. It's nothing like the deep south.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
You do know that's a pretty low tolerance for cold right? Like extremely low.

For me it doesn't begin to impact breathing till it hits around 35. I can/will run down to about 15-20.
I guess I am geared to warm weather. On the same token, I don't moan or complain when it's over 100. My ideal temps are 80's and 90's with low humidity

Old 08-23-2016, 11:20 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,460 times
Quote:
I guess I am geared to warm weather. On the same token, I don't moan or complain when it's over 100. My ideal temps are 80's and 90's with low humidity
I agree completely with your preferred temp range IF it's low humidity. But if it's mid 90s and humid I'd trade that in for sunny and 35 with white, snow-covered landscape.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:52 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
You're still forgetting how painful cold air is to breathe when you run. I can't run in anything under 65° or it starts to hurt to breathe

Not everyone finds it painful to breathe in the cold...65 is too warm for me. Lots of people have a higher tolerance for cold. I've run a 5K in 10-15 degree weather and the snow and it didn't hurt to breathe. I also did one in 70 degree weather and it affected me way more than the cold.

If it's cold and I want to go for a walk or run, it's easy enough to layer up. If there's snow on the ground, I throw on the Y A K Trax. No big deal.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:52 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Would you rather deal with really hot and humid summers (Texas or Louisiana), or really cold winters (Minnesota or the Dakotas)?

I've gone back and forth on this issue, but since I've moved to Texas, I've determined that I'd much rather deal with cold winters. Even walking to your car from the grocery store in this 95 degree humid heat leaves you feeling drained.

When I lived in Iowa, I used to work on my car in negative degree weather. As long as you bundled up, you were okay. No way I'd be able to work on my car in this Texas heat.

The answers to your question will vary by person and individual preference. The way I approach this subject is as follows.

Which climate more effectively keeps you from doing the things you need to do, or love to do more ?

If you big hobby or joy life is snow skiing, well you better pick someplace cold most of the year with an extended cold season since that will be your preference. If you love to ride your Harley, and that is what brings you job, better pick someplace warm with an extended warm season.

I live up north, in Minnesota. If you were to ask me personally, cold (especially frigidly cold) weather keeps me from doing more than very hot and/or humid weather ever would/does. While I love heat, I don't particularly care for high humidity, but I can personally function, and do the things I love and need to do, much better being too warm, than too cold.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:02 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times
Quote:
I was from Rochester and hated it. So glad I got out. I used to go on vacation to Phoenix alot before I moved here, and everytime I would have to go home, I would almost literally cry I would get so depressed. When my plane would leave Phoenix, it would be sunny and in the 70's or 80's, but when I landed in Buffalo, it would be overcast half the time, all the trees and grass would be dead, and it would only be in the 20's or 30's. Practically made me want to kill myself. I don't know how you do it. Winter there lasts SO LOOONNNGGG too. It's already cold by mid November, and doesn't warm up again until late April. And the sun never comes out in November or December.

And besides, the hot air here is dry. It's nothing like the deep south.
A lot of people feel that way about the weather here, which I'm sure you obviously know. I can't really speak much towards the south western "dry" heat, unless it's similar to Iraq then I know all about it. I'd definitely take the Rochester/Buffalo weather over the humid south east. Just thinking about doing any type of physical labor/activity in that heat made me want to kill myself. On the other hand, the summer up here are amazing, just gets hot enough for the right amount of time IMO. I also enjoy raking leaves in late October or going for walks in the winter snow. I will admit by late March/early April I'm ready for warmer weather. So I guess I'm pretty content with the weather up here for around 10 1/2 months out of the year. Not bad if you ask me. I couldn't imagine it being warm and sunny for the majority of the year. I guess I just love the changing seasons to much.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
A lot of people feel that way about the weather here, which I'm sure you obviously know. I can't really speak much towards the south western "dry" heat, unless it's similar to Iraq then I know all about it. I'd definitely take the Rochester/Buffalo weather over the humid south east. Just thinking about doing any type of physical labor/activity in that heat made me want to kill myself. On the other hand, the summer up here are amazing, just gets hot enough for the right amount of time IMO. I also enjoy raking leaves in late October or going for walks in the winter snow. I will admit by late March/early April I'm ready for warmer weather. So I guess I'm pretty content with the weather up here for around 10 1/2 months out of the year. Not bad if you ask me. I couldn't imagine it being warm and sunny for the majority of the year. I guess I just love the changing seasons to much.
Well, in two years, I'm moving to Los Angeles, which has the best weather in the world

And Phoenix is very similar to Baghdad, just 5 degrees cooler in summer and 5 degrees warmer in winter

Old 08-23-2016, 06:45 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:

I have cold induced asthma. If I run in weather below 50 it sets in. Heat doesn't bother it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.