Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better to live, work, & play?
Denver, CO 31 34.83%
Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN) 52 58.43%
Neither 6 6.74%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 04:44 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,101,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What do you consider "progressive"? Why doesn't MN have recreational use if you consider them more progressive than CO, which does?
Ok, here's a couple reasons off the top.

I believe the Minneapolis parkway system to be one of the most impressive park systems in the country, where what would be premier lakefront property is shared entirely by the public. Now Denver is no slouch, but not in the same league.

On another note, one only needs to look at Minnesota's elected politicians over the decades to see the states political leanings. Conversely Colorado was considered a reliable Red state until around the mid 90's.

Just for fun, take a look at the 1984 election return map, you'll get my point.

1984 Presidential Election Results. Ronald Reagan vs. Walter Mondale. Electoral Map & popular vote.

Last edited by Good Red Road; 06-30-2016 at 05:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 04:53 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Well, the three sides of Denver that aren't mountains are literally barren wastelands.
But you got one side with world class beauty. It's a global tourist destination year round. That trumps anything MN or the Midwest has in natural beauty.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:06 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Twin Cities is the better metro but Denver has close proximity to the mountains and better weather overall. Honestly though the Twin Cities is one of the best overall metros in the US for livability, education, employment, parks and recreation etc. It's a very well-run metro overall. It's the winters that keep it from exploding.
One can make the argument that the winters in the Twin Cities is an advantage.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Ok, here's a couple reasons off the top.

I believe the Minneapolis parkway system to be one of the most impressive park systems in the country, where what would be premier lakefront property is shared entirely by the public. Now Denver is no slouch, but not in the same league.

On another note, one only need to look at Minnesota's elected politicians over the decades to see it's political leanings. Conversely Colorado was considered a reliable Red state until around the mid 90's.

Just for fun, take a look at the 1984 election return map, you'll get my point.

1984 Presidential Election Results. Ronald Reagan vs. Walter Mondale. Electoral Map & popular vote.
Park system, a big maybe. Denver has the mountain park system, including Red Rocks.
https://www.denvergov.org/content/de...ain-parks.html

Colorado has been a purple state politically for decades, maybe forever. 1984, LOL! Funny you would pick a year that the Democratic candidate was from MN to give as an example. No one liked him except you guys and the crooks in DC. Colorado has a Democratic governor in his second term. He replaced a Democratic governor. In the 36 years I've lived here, we've had one Republican governor, who had two terms.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_of_Colorado

CO currently has a Democratic and Republican senator. Again, since I've been here, there has always been at least one D senator and often two. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._from_Colorado

Colorado's current congressional delegation is currently 3 Dems and 4 Repubs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United..._from_Colorado

The state senate has 17 Dems and 18 Repubs.
https://ballotpedia.org/Colorado_State_Senate

The state house of representatives has 34 Dems and 31 Repubs.
//www.city-data.com/forum/newre...e=1&p=44603713

Colorado was the first state to give women the right to vote, in 1893.
Colorado Led the Way on Women's Suffrage | US News Opinion

Minnesota did not give women the vote until the 19th amendment was ratified in 1920.

Colorado was the first state to legalize abortion, in 1967. The governor who singed the act into law was a Republican. Colorado is very bi-partisan.
Colo. abortion rights got start 40 years ago today – The Denver Post

Old 06-30-2016, 05:30 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,460 times
Pot isn't the only progressive issue you burnout.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:56 PM

525 posts, read 718,030 times
I am surprised that the Twin Cities is winning by a landslide in this poll.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:03 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
I would pick Denver but hey thats just me
-WT

Old 10-04-2016, 07:31 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Denver is full

Old 10-04-2016, 08:55 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
One can make the argument that the winters in the Twin Cities is an advantage.
It certainly is for me And the autumns.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:04 AM

525 posts, read 718,030 times
I agree that autumns and summers in Minnesota are nice. I've never been there during winter but I will next year for St. Paul Winter Carnival during the weekend of Feb. 3-5.

Winter is an advantage for the Twin Cities because it will not grow too fast and become too crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.