Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:45 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,679 times

Advertisements

Lately I've been thinking a lot about my life up until this point and where I want to go from here. Unlike many of my friends I have never had the desire to move away from my home state. I live about ten miles from the house I grew up in. I have a tight-knit family, and the thought of not being able to visit with my close relatives any time I want really bothers me. My siblings and I, along with our spouses, children and my grandparents still gather at my dad's house every week (mom passed away). This is how I grew up, and I hope that my children will also enjoy a close family relationship.

I sometimes wonder if I have missed out by not leaving to experience something new. Many of my friends fled the state (Michigan) at the first chance they had after college. At this point we are entering our mid-30's and I'd say about half have returned because they missed home, and the other half seem happy in their new locations.

I briefly considered a lucrative job opportunity that would have taken me to NYC, but I just don't think that is an environment that I would enjoy living or working in. Nothing against it, big city life just isn't for me!

I guess my point, if I have one, is that I feel the state I live in offers pretty much everything I would ever want or need. There are sporting events and concerts in Detroit, and beautiful natural landscapes, lakes, etc in the northern part of the state.

Do you feel it is inherently valuable to move away from where you grew up, even if it is just for a few years? Is it an experience everyone should have? Did you move away and love it? Regret it? Did your return. I'm just curious about the experience of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 09:08 AM

436 posts, read 521,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Do you feel it is inherently valuable to move away from where you grew up, even if it is just for a few years? Is it an experience everyone should have? Did you move away and love it? Regret it? Did your return. I'm just curious about the experience of others.
Yes it's a valuable experience and I think most people would benefit from experiencing life outside of their nuclear family. I don't have any regrets moving away and have been fortunate to live on both coasts and the midwest. With that said I was 18 and that was a long time ago. You're still a rubber band at that age. Not sure what it would be like doing it in your 30s or 40s but I know people do it all the time.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:11 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,863,211 times
I grew up in Colorado and lived here till the age of 19. I left in 2001.

My whole family is here in Colorado but I just wanted to leave.

I ended up moving to Omaha, Nebraska which is about 6-8 hours away from Denver by Amtrak train.

It was far enough away to feel different but I could get back to Denver if I needed to and family could visit easily if they needed to.

I will say Omaha was totally different then Denver.

In Denver people are not as close-knit and will tend to leave relatives for jobs or for a significant other.

When I moved to Omaha it was totally different. Many people I would meet would spent their weekends with family, live in the same neighborhood as their family.

I found the Midwest in general to very close-knit compared to the West.

I have moved around quite a bit, for the summer I am back in Colorado but plan on moving this fall again.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:20 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,652 times
I grew up in CT, left for college in Boston (that alone was extremely valuable, living in the city after only knowing life in a small town that was more rural.) If anything it made me realize how much I actually LIKED living in a small rural town. to the point where I wanted even a smaller town. I fully enjoyed living in the city but its not where my heart was. At the same time I also realized I did not want to live in CT either. I ended up moving north to NH and couldn't be any happier. It completely fits my personality, Im close to Boston yet I am only 2 hours away from my home town family and friends.

I do think everyone should move away from their home town for at least a few years. How do you know what your missing if you never leave? Hell I even debated a cross country move a few times.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:24 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post

I do think everyone should move away from their home town for at least a few years. How do you know what your missing if you never leave? Hell I even debated a cross country move a few times.
In your view what counts as moving away from your hometown? A certain distance? I do want to move to a more rural area in my state, my ideal location being about a 3 hour drive from where I currently live.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:41 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
In your view what counts as moving away from your hometown? A certain distance? I do want to move to a more rural area in my state, my ideal location being about a 3 hour drive from where I currently live.
Good question,

Depending on the area around you, it could be a city of a different size or distance. For me it was going from a tiny town to Large City. drastically different lifestyle.

if your moving from one small town to another thats only 45 minutes away. I dont think its going to be much different. your still within driving distance to your family and friends and the the lifestyle wont be that much different.

I think if your going to move to a similar type of town, it would have to be far enough away that your family/friend network isn't easily accessible. This would give you a new independence and force you to create new relationships. Its not always fun or easy and you may realize this is something you value about your home town. You may also realize that you meet some new and interesting people that you may have never met if you stayed a townie. I have three circles of friends that I would have never had if I still lived in my hometown, I still keep in touch with all of them so thats nice

Old 06-29-2016, 09:50 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Seems like there are two types of people, those who have a large world of experiences, and those who have very small worlds. People seem to be happy living how they choose, but I always wondered about those living in a small world staying in your state , city or even the neighborhood, what areas they might have liked better if they took a chance and looked around at what is out there to experience.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:21 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,428,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Seems like there are two types of people, those who have a large world of experiences, and those who have very small worlds. People seem to be happy living how they choose, but I always wondered about those living in a small world staying in your state , city or even the neighborhood, what areas they might have liked better if they took a chance and looked around at what is out there to experience.
That is a super condescending post. I think if you have relationships that are worth preserving, then staying where you're from can be a very good thing. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:26 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,435 times
Left New Jersey for school out of state and never looked back. New Jersey is often underestimated, a very metropolitan state with easy access to Philly, New York, and the rest of the cities on the eastern seaboards. Generally affluent with pretty strong public schools compared to the rest of the country. I will always hold my memories down the shore as a child near to my heart but on the flip side the state is in fiscal turmoil, taxes are sky high, outside of Jersey City waterfront and Hoboken the state has no nice urban areas of its own, the cost of living is ridiculous and the people can be people very abrasive at times. I have no plans of living there again as of now.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:19 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Left Florida for Texas as I fell in love with a Texan. I do not regret it, I do not miss life in Florida. Now I'm looking to finish school and head north to the Midwest. I like Texas more than Florida but I like Minnesota more than Texas lol

Moving out is not for everyone, it depends on how happy you are where you live. I hated living in Miami. I am so glad I got out. If I loved my hometown/homestate to live in, I wouldn't have moved out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.