Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 02:51 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The White Latinos are richer Latinos who left their countries to start a life of business on USA. The more darker Latinos came for work. Houston has a lot of Venezuelans who left Venezuela due to the violence. A lot of them are upper crust and white. A lot work in oil n gas.
Yeah I know exactly what you mean. My mom is upper middle class Puerto Rican, strawberry blond hair, green eyes, white skin, most people think she is German or Polish here in Chicago. My dad on the other hand grew up in poverty, darker, looks Filipino. Which has led my sister and I to look very Mediternean. We look Greek or Italian more than anything else due to that mix.

I am just saying that in Miami, most "white" people you come across are probably Latino. You probably can't say the same for Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 02:52 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Yeah that's why I didn't list NY C when I listed cities. However, with NYC there so much diversity that it feels like a beast of it's own. It feels very American while at the same time doesn't feel American. Where I feel cities like Miami, Honolulu and New Orleans feel very non-American.
Well yeah, NYC is definitely American and not American at the same time lol.

Although I would disagree about New Orleans not being American

Old 07-05-2016, 03:47 PM

379 posts, read 289,058 times
Quote:
Yeah I know exactly what you mean. My mom is upper middle class Puerto Rican, strawberry blond hair, green eyes, white skin, most people think she is German or Polish here in Chicago. My dad on the other hand grew up in poverty, darker, looks Filipino. Which has led my sister and I to look very Mediternean. We look Greek or Italian more than anything else due to that mix.

I am just saying that in Miami, most "white" people you come across are probably Latino. You probably can't say the same for Houston.
You actually can. To a lesser extent, but you indeed can, especially within city limits.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:50 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Miami, end of thread.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:50 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020 View Post
You actually can. To a lesser extent, but you indeed can, especially within city limits.
The vast majority of Houston's Latinos are definitely mestizo

Old 07-05-2016, 05:51 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yes and no. Lots of Colombians, Brazilians and Venezuelans of a lighter hue that work in the oil n gas industry. I've also noticed a pretty big portion of white Mexicans from Monterrey that do their shopping in the Galleria.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:09 PM

379 posts, read 289,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Obviously, it is nothing like Miami, but do consider that of the 51% of Houston's population that is White, only 26% were Non-Hispanic whites.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston#Demographics

Old 07-05-2016, 06:15 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,436,952 times
Quote:
It's definitely unique. You won't believe how often you will hear Brazilian Portuguese on the streets. Also, what's interesting about Miami is you have what are considered a lot of "white" latinos. So you might be walking down the street see a blonde hair blue eyed chick, or a red headed freckled guy, you might think they are just your average American, then you find out they are Cuban and the other Colombian.

My brother-in-law who grew up in Chicago (he's black), went to the University of Miami, and when he moved down there he was shocked by all the "white" Latinos that were there. I am not saying they are the majority, but that's the whole point. You don't really see that on any large scale in any other US city. Miami has a ton of Cubans, Colombians, Argentines, and Brazilians that are pretty damn "white" looking. So it's really quite the experience to behold. Then you also have the Haitian population. It's really a mish mash of Cubans, Haitians, Puerto Ricans, Colombians, Venezuelans, Brazilians and Argentines. No other city such a mish mash of those ethnicities in one place. It really gives it a unique feel.

What also makes it feel different too is that Mexicans are almost non-existent. With the exception that Mexicans also speak Spanish, Mexican culture is very different from the the culture of the countries that dominate most of Miami. So it's not your typical Latino experience you get in Chicago, LA, SF, Texas, etc, where in those cities the Latin culture is predominantly Mexican. In Miami it's very different. In fact I wonder if most Mexicans would even like or be able to assimilate easily with the Latinos of Miami? I think they wouldn't.
Thats bs.
Do you know msny asian cultures sre in sf and la?
Or nyc?
Plus the latin american cultures?

I belive la has the largest australiian, canadian groups in america as well.
i think its third for british, second for russian.

Miami isnt on the nyc/la/sf level at all.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:25 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
Laredo, Elpaso, TX and any border city for that matter.

Of the big cities Miami is the least American IMO.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:52 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Thats bs.
Do you know msny asian cultures sre in sf and la?
Or nyc?
Plus the latin american cultures?

I belive la has the largest australiian, canadian groups in america as well.
i think its third for british, second for russian.

Miami isnt on the nyc/la/sf level at all.
I think you misunderstood. In places like LA, SF, NYC, the ethnic groups are balanced. In Miami and Honolulu they are not. Those cities are like 80% Latino and Asian. Miami is so Latino and Honolulu so Asian that it doesn't feel like you are in the US. In Miami you feel like you are in Latin Anerica and in Honolulu you feel like you are in Asia. You don't get that overwhelming feel in LA, SF, Chicago, etc as a whole.

And who is saying Miami is on those cities' level?! This is about least American cities which has nothing to do with being on SF or NYC's level for that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.