Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 10:48 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Artists tend to flock to places where the culture is more permissive of self-expression. Places where there is a high level of self-expression tend to be less conservative. Do you not understand that? Have you seriously never noticed that the vibe differs between cities, or do they all feel the same to you?

this is an amazing statement given all the safe zone liberal kids on college campuses want speech codes so they are not offended. I've never heard of conservatives trying to ban free speech.

i read that the speech police at Uni of Wisconsin- Milkwauke banned the expression 'politically incorrect'. i don't think conservatives did that. you no doubt think Milwauke is more progressive than Clemson too.

i think Clemson is easily as progressive as Bellingham Washington. Bellingham is a remote city. i feel confident more people know where Clemson is than Bellingham. it is difficult to make the case that a city with a highly ranked research university is not progressive.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-28-2016 at 11:21 PM..

Old 08-28-2016, 11:39 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag6au8m0dts

Clemson video above.

I may shoot a video of downtown Clemson. I thought there would be some on youtube.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-28-2016 at 11:47 PM..

Old 08-29-2016, 07:19 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I don't know if I would call it a college town, but Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs NY plays a part in the Art scene there. https://www.skidmore.edu/art/

Summer 2016

Welcome to Saratoga Arts | Saratoga Arts

Saratoga Performing Arts Center

Old 08-29-2016, 02:27 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Besides the usual suspect derailing yet another thread, I'll second Lawrence, KS. Good school, a downtown dominated by artsy, liberal kids having a blast. You can see a little bit of everything there.

I've also done Burlington, VT, but years ago. To me, it typifies a small, liberal, college town.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:32 PM

by derail, you mean I disagree with you and other liberals who think somehow liberals have a monopoly on being arty and creative.

I also note again the OP did not say liberal. He or she said progressive, artsy and creative.

do you ever post on these forums without saying something negative? why be contentious all the time. you can't name a single thread that I've derailed. I can prove you've derailed some.

for example, I posted on the Greenville forum a recommendation for an orthodontist and you made a post mocking me for having braces, and you don't even live in Greenville. you never had one post on that thread topic which was about the 'Best of Greenville' voting for businesses in the area.

Clemson has a college of architecture, landscape architecture, arts, theater, film, etc, along with majors like graphic design and packaging science and marketing. engineering is a innovative creative field coupled with the application of science. it seems like these programs are luring creative people to Clemson.

the university of Vermont does not offer architecture, landscape architecture, graphics design, packaging science.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-29-2016 at 03:33 PM..

Old 08-29-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I second Bellingham, WA. Western Washington University has a good amount of influence in the town, which is very Ithaca or Asheville- like. It ranks second per capita nationally in arts businesses, and is every conservative's nightmare of community gardens, community libraries, independent theaters, and quirky people.
this is the comment that I originally responded to. if any comment derailed the thread, it was this one and others similar to it. i'm surprised he did not include puppies and apple pie in every conservative's nightmare.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-29-2016 at 03:08 PM..

Old 08-29-2016, 06:08 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
this is the comment that I originally responded to. if any comment derailed the thread, it was this one and others similar to it. i'm surprised he did not include puppies and apple pie in every conservative's nightmare.
You're just trolling now, so I'm guess I'll stop interacting with you on this topic.

Your logic just makes no sense. You apparently have a different view of what progressive is than anyone else that has commented on this thread. Clemson, South Carolina is not more socially progressive than Bellingham, Washington, and no one who's ever visited the two places would think so.

But you're right, highly ranked research universities tend to be progressive. Academic intellectuals are another group that generally lean to the left. Again, places with artists and creatives tend to be on the political left, and almost all of the suggested towns on this thread would be considered progressive places.

So I'm not sure what or why you're arguing- conservatives constantly rail on and on negatively about intellectuals and the liberal culture on college campuses- and about how artists, including actors and musicians- tend to be liberal. As eddie said, you can't have it both ways.

Regarding the comment you highlighted, I explained why I jokingly made that comment and for some reason, you were the only one that got offended by it. Apparently in your mind, literally nothing in any place distinguishes it from any other place; everything is 50/50 split of conservatives and progressives. Again, you won't actually list any examples for what you speak of. It's nothing personal that places with the things I mentioned are generally associated with progressive communities. Get over it. No one is attacking you by pointing out that the cities mentioned in this thread are generally known for their culture, art, and generally left-leaning attitude. Your refusal to accept things doesn't make them true.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:08 PM

100 posts, read 103,342 times
Additionally, given the overall population skew leaning female, the modern collegiate skew leaning female, and the traditionally (and continuing) skew of females being far more likely to engage in artistic and creative pursuits, it takes a real downer of a college town to show a heavy male bias.

That's why you get populations like...

Clemson, SC: 54% male

and

Blacksburg, VA: 54% male

You typically only get those kinds of skews in Alaska and on military bases. Which is to say, in intellectual and creative backwaters where the men are men, the lib'rals are pariahs, and the women are absent.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:40 PM

or a school that has a large engineering program which has mostly male students. i'm sure snarky liberals who self describe as 'creative' and 'intelelctual' like you are smarter than any engineering student at Clemson, a highly ranked research university. I don't think most liberals in 'liberal' college towns are going down in the history books for their art though.

you are so free minded and creative that you even used the 'lib'ral' spelling that every liberal on forums uses to mock conservatives as though we cannot say the word liberal correctly. that is most likely a cut and paste from Jon Stewart's show given its prevalence.

if you think 54 percent male means women are absent,, it is amazing that you are talking about Clemson is an intellectual backwater. Absent would be 0 percent women.

you seem desperate to run down a college that you don't now anything about.

it is interesting that a person who appears to currently live in Iowa City, and recommened Yellow Springs, Ohio as a creative college town, is at the same time asserting Clemson is an intellectual and creative backwater (even though you have never been to Clemson and don't know a person in the town). this sounds like something that a big city elitist would say, but they would view Iowa City and Yellow Springs Ohio as similar to Clemson. there would be consistency in their abrasive elitism.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-29-2016 at 10:14 PM..

Old 08-29-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
You're just trolling now, so I'm guess I'll stop interacting with you on this topic.

Your logic just makes no sense. You apparently have a different view of what progressive is than anyone else that has commented on this thread. Clemson, South Carolina is not more socially progressive than Bellingham, Washington, and no one who's ever visited the two places would think so.

But you're right, highly ranked research universities tend to be progressive. Academic intellectuals are another group that generally lean to the left. Again, places with artists and creatives tend to be on the political left, and almost all of the suggested towns on this thread would be considered progressive places.

So I'm not sure what or why you're arguing- conservatives constantly rail on and on negatively about intellectuals and the liberal culture on college campuses- and about how artists, including actors and musicians- tend to be liberal. As eddie said, you can't have it both ways.

Regarding the comment you highlighted, I explained why I jokingly made that comment and for some reason, you were the only one that got offended by it. Apparently in your mind, literally nothing in any place distinguishes it from any other place; everything is 50/50 split of conservatives and progressives. Again, you won't actually list any examples for what you speak of. It's nothing personal that places with the things I mentioned are generally associated with progressive communities. Get over it. No one is attacking you by pointing out that the cities mentioned in this thread are generally known for their culture, art, and generally left-leaning attitude. Your refusal to accept things doesn't make them true.
you conflate the traditional sense of progressive with your political definition. i don't refer to liberals as progressives. when i say progressive, i'm talking about modernity, higher education, research, high tech. it isn't political. being creative and artsy and progressive isn't about politics. I've made this point several times but it is lost on you.

Bellingham probably is more liberal. nobody is debating that except you. i don't think some isolated small city b/t Seattle and Vancouver is somehow more progressive than Clemson in a traditional sense. I know Clemson has a better academic reputation that than university in Bellingham. most people have not even heard of that one.

i don't believe your comment was joking. i think that you truly believe that conservatives are anti-gardens, anti-quirky people , anti-theaters, and whatever else you said. i don't see a punchline in there. that is my interpretation, and i'm sticking to it. i'm not worked up about it, i was responding to the false accusations that I was derailing the thread. i simply responded to those incredible assertions by you. it is not my fault if it bothers you that i analyzed what you said.

liberals running away from the liberal label and calling themselves progressive seems to indicate a lack of confidence in their beliefs. maybe conservativeds should come up with a new name. i propose intellectuals or 'the good guys'.

no, liberal academic intellectuals are on the left. conservative academic intellectuals are on the right. again, you are engaged in this constant liberal vanity exercise and pushing out another false premise. never seen people brag this much in my life. I feel like I've been interacting with Kanye West on here. are liberals better at sports too? is every liberal woman a supermodel?

i don't think conservatives are constantly railing on Hollywood. we just don't go see the movies with the liberal narratives. there isn't a lot of originality in Hollywood anyway, it is mostly comic book hero sequels and other sequels and kid animination movies. the lack of originality in Hollywood goes against y our theory that liberals are creative. CLint Eastwood is one of the few directors who does something original and he's no liberal.

i saw Dinesh D'Souza's political documentary yesterday about the history of the Democratic party. one of the best movies that I've seen in awhile, and he's a conservative who went to Dartmouth and another Ivy.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-29-2016 at 10:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.