Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 01:38 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Maybe 20% of the UNITS in LA are in buildings of that size. Certainly not 20% of the structures, or even the residential structures.
Well, apartments make up about 40% of the housing stock in LA, although I don't know how many are housed in structures above 20 units.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 07:18 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Well, apartments make up about 40% of the housing stock in LA, although I don't know how many are housed in structures above 20 units.

In terms of 20+ unit buildings as a percentage of total housing stock, NYC is a clear first, followed by DC, then Seattle and Atlanta, then LA, which just edges out Denver.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:45 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

In terms of 20+ unit buildings as a percentage of total housing stock, NYC is a clear first, followed by DC, then Seattle and Atlanta, then LA, which just edges out Denver.
Thanks for the graph. Been looking for something similar.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:53 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

interesting data I think I saw that posted in another thread

%'s are interesting though for an Atlanta or Seattle the absolute numbers in 20+ units would be less (population living in them) compared to say a Philly with a much smaller proportion.

LA just edging out Denver would still put LA a firm number two in persons living in such 20+ unit dwellings

believe by the numbers it would be

NYC
LA
Chicago
Houston
Philly

(matching the overall population)

after that though I think by population in 20+ units the order would not match the population sizes

with what would look like SF, DC, Boston then not sure

Also NYC looks to have ~4million in 20+ unit buildings, it likely would take the sum of the next 7-10 cities to match that volume. NYC is a monster on so many metrics

Also Philly followed by Baltimore and then DC are the rowhome kings it would seem for better or worse

Old 07-07-2016, 05:18 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times
Aren't many of Philly's rowhomes typical 3 story apartment buildings rather than attached single units?

Old 07-07-2016, 05:32 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Im personally happy that I don't live in a city where the only think I could afford would be a small flat in a high rise.

I like my detached home.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:34 PM

124 posts, read 147,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Im personally happy that I don't live in a city where the only think I could afford would be a small flat in a high rise.

I like my detached home.
A lot of highrises are pretty expensive actually. Assuming you'd want a cheap $1,000-$1,200 without electric and wouldn't even consider a ghetto it'd probably only be like 3-7 floors. There's also lots of public housing projects with 10, 20, 30 floors but the ceiling's literally like 6.5 feet and the buildings have bullet holes. Detached homes do have a lot of things going for them, though.

Maybe not the ones here. They've been marketing detracted houses 75 miles/1.5 hr out in the biggest NYC newspaper for many years (almost $200,000) and some people do that commute every day (even though Philly's closer, they commute from the Appalachian Mountains of Pennsylvania to NYC 10 times a week, 40,000 miles a year). So imagine how much the close houses cost.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:19 PM

124 posts, read 147,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Also NYC looks to have ~4million in 20+ unit buildings, it likely would take the sum of the next 7-10 cities to match that volume. NYC is a monster on so many metrics
So if you demolished everything besides the Census Bureau's largest category it's still the biggest city in North America. 1.3% of Americans is a person in a 20+ unit building in New York City. If "people in 20+ unit buildings in New York City" was a state they'd have 8 electoral college votes — more than half the states.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:48 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,843,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
What about Seattle and SF
Seattle only recently because a multifamily-majority city. We're 2/3 single-family by land area vs. maybe 15% that's mixed-use or multifamily, per vague estimates I've heard. The chart is a good indicator of unit count by type.

This is changing quickly of course. We still build single family, generally in townhouse format, often 2-4 houses replacing one old house, with some in the front and some in back. But we build far more six-story woodframe housing. And highrises have become a major percentage of construction, including a sizeable wave of towers around 440' tall due to the height limits in certain Downtown fringe areas.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:55 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,326,602 times
Here's another example of an only in NYC type neighborhood:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/13...642008!6m1!1e1

Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, not far from where I live. Not a highrise neighborhood, per se, but an area of very dense midrises. In contrast to the previous South Bronx example, this is an affluent neighborhood, with family sized coops usually in the $1.5-$2 million range.

I don't think this type of neighborhood exists anywhere outside the NYC area. There may be a block or two here or there, but not on a neighborhood level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.