Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think any location in this region can boom?
Yes, in Eastern Washington 13 31.71%
Yes, in Eastern Oregon 1 2.44%
Yes, in Idaho 24 58.54%
Yes, in Montana 7 17.07%
Yes, in Wyoming 2 4.88%
No, no town or city in this region will boom 6 14.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 08:23 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times

Advertisements

If yes or no, please explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 09:49 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Contingent on natural resources in the area - oil, natural gas, and etc.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:09 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
Boom town? As in a city that experiences a long period of fast paced growth and becomes a major/large (one and a half million plus urban population) metro? Well, anything is possibke, and this does come off as bring b the realm of possibilities. That said, I doubt any city in the areas in the poll will become a boom town, as described in my post, in the predictable future.

Maybe Boise or Spokane, but I feel like it would be at a very slow pace, at least slower than what are associated with boon cities.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:14 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
It is already happening in Tri-Cities, WA. Richland, Pasco, Kennewick. Extremely hot real estate market. Many transplants from W. WA, and W. OR. Low real estate prices, but rising. Great climate, lots of sunshine.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:46 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
It is already happening in Tri-Cities, WA. Richland, Pasco, Kennewick. Extremely hot real estate market. Many transplants from W. WA, and W. OR. Low real estate prices, but rising. Great climate, lots of sunshine.
I don't disagree with pnwguy2, but I have a different reason for selecting E. Washington (particularly around Richland and the Tri-Cities) as one of my choices.

My second vote went for Idaho. The Richland area of WA and the Idaho Falls area of ID will be working together on a very big energy project. Idaho Falls will get most of this "boom" both in population change and new businesses, but Richland will provide enough support services to get more residents as well and maybe a spinoff business. The Idaho Falls housing market is currently breaking all the records too.

MSR

Old 06-25-2016, 10:56 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,677 times
Pretty sure Boise ID is already in the middle of a boom right now, isn't it? ~9.79% growth since 2010 according to Census estimates.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Pretty sure Boise ID is already in the middle of a boom right now, isn't it? ~9.79% growth since 2010 according to Census estimates.
Boise is booming because it is cheapER I recall, lots of Californians relocating there but using Internet job searches the employment numbers don't appear to be coming with them. In order for it to boom and I mean truly boom the jobs have to come as well.

Arizona "boomed" for a lot of reasons, some of it was for a favorable treatment towards retirees on taxes which in my eyes would not qualify as "booming".

Old 06-25-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Boom town? As in a city that experiences a long period of fast paced growth and becomes a major/large (one and a half million plus urban population) metro? Well, anything is possibke, and this does come off as bring b the realm of possibilities. That said, I doubt any city in the areas in the poll will become a boom town, as described in my post, in the predictable future.

Maybe Boise or Spokane, but I feel like it would be at a very slow pace, at least slower than what are associated with boon cities.
Yes this is what I mean. Cities near the boundaries of the region (SLC, Denver, Seattle/Portland) have boomed but if people truly want the colder, mountain lifestyle of the West then these three states (and E. Washington/Oregon) will look appealing for those who aren't a wealthy tech person.

I mean all of these areas can provide the same lifestyle of Denver in particular, and it's not like Denver has exclusive access to the Rockies either. Yet Denver is starting to become outrageous.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:40 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Boise is booming because it is cheapER I recall, lots of Californians relocating there but using Internet job searches the employment numbers don't appear to be coming with them. In order for it to boom and I mean truly boom the jobs have to come as well.

Arizona "boomed" for a lot of reasons, some of it was for a favorable treatment towards retirees on taxes which in my eyes would not qualify as "booming".
I don't think Boise is so much cheaper anymore. Perhaps compared to the top 25 -30 metros, but check the Idaho forum for the multi-page thread of those who thought Boise was cheaper and now can't afford housing for 30+ miles.

I agree with you that true booms are new, good-paying jobs not just a lot of people relocating.

MSR

Old 06-26-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I don't think Boise is so much cheaper anymore. Perhaps compared to the top 25 -30 metros, but check the Idaho forum for the multi-page thread of those who thought Boise was cheaper and now can't afford housing for 30+ miles.

I agree with you that true booms are new, good-paying jobs not just a lot of people relocating.

MSR
Well I'm sure Boise is still cheaper than California, yes?

Arizona "boomed" for the same reasons, cheaper COL while still being in the vicinity of California. Idaho will learn how to deal with that soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.