Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Climate A Significant Factor Causing High Obesity Rates In The US South?
Yes 33 30.84%
No 74 69.16%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 07:39 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,723,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
that makes no sense, everybody lives near grocery stores that have fruits and veggies. i think fruits and veggies are more readily available in the south at local farmers markets, roadside stands ,etc.

water is cheaper than soda and more readily avaiable than sodas. if your theory is poor beeline it straight to cheap food, then they would be drinking water.

it doesn't make any sense that non-poor people consume less soda, if they have more money. people who consume soda have a sweet tooth, nothing to do with income.
Look up the term "food desert". Plenty of places in America count as one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 07:40 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,690,974 times
Would you accept a study by the American Diabetes Association?

Poverty and Obesity in the U.S. | Diabetes
Are poverty and obesity associated? Poverty rates and obesity were reviewed across 3,139 counties in the U.S. (2,6). In contrast to international trends, people in America who live in the most poverty-dense counties are those most prone to obesity (Fig. 1A). Counties with poverty rates of >35% have obesity rates 145% greater than wealthy counties.

Why Poverty Leads to Obesity and Life-Long Problems | Scholars Strategy Network

Poor and fat: The real class war - CNN.com

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/heal...besity-states/

Old 07-09-2016, 07:43 PM

I don't care if you don't believe it. Poverty and obesity are linked. The southern states that are heavier are poorer. Cheaper foods and worse for you. I'm not making this **** up.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:45 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,309,147 times
ok, well i just read an article that said states like NY and CA with a lot of immigrants from countries that have more poverty have loweer obesity rates than states like those in the south with less immigrants.

water is cheap, and readily availabe and the healthiest thing to drink. it contradicts your point. buying food at grocery store and cooking at home is cheaper and generally healthier than eating out.

poverty isn't linked to obesity if majority of poor people are not obese.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:50 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,723,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
ok, well i just read an article that said states like NY and CA with a lot of immigrants from countries that have more poverty have loweer obesity rates than states like those in the south with less immigrants.

water is cheap, and readily availabe and the healthiest thing to drink. it contradicts your point. buying food at grocery store and cooking at home is cheaper and generally healthier than eating out.

poverty isn't linked to obesity if majority of poor people are not obese.
The majority of poor people are obese. Go to a grocery store and tell me what is cheaper, pre-cooked frozen pizza or to buy the healthy ingredients and make the pizza from scratch, which would also be healthier.

Other countries that have poverty don't have access to $1 extra large sodas at McDonalds or a 1000+ calorie bun from Texas Roadhouse.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:51 PM

the majority of poor people are not obese. overweight and obese are oten conflated. i recall hearing that some studies count 10 lbs overweight as obese. lol

extra large soda at mcdonalds is 2 dollars. i again water is cheaper, often free, but you are saying poor people go straight for the soda b/c it is cheaper, passing over the water. literally makes no sense. unsweeten tea is probably cheaper as well, especially at the grocery store.

a steak dinner at Roadhouse will be pushing 20 dollars with a tip, that isn't cheap. it is much cheaper to buy steaks, hamburger etc at the grocery store.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:52 PM

Not sure if being trolled. But in case I'm not - correlation doesn't equal causation. My argument can still be true even if there are skinny poor people.

You haven't provided any 3rd party sources or data though so I'm not even sure what I'm arguing about cause you're just posting bad logic and false assumptions.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:56 PM

ok well i don' tthink you are a physician or nutritionist. feel free to disagree with me but the NY times article that I posted refutes what you are saying.

again if water is cheaper than soda, then by your own logic that is what poor people should be drinking. i don't agree soda is cheap.

if there are skinny poor people, how do they afford to eat healthy, using your own logic? you also said there is no genetic component. if there is no genetic component yet they are still skinny, then healthy food must not be more expensive. or they just don't eat.

if we were to give the poor obese people a million dollars, would they then start to lose weight. that does not seem likely.

if a wealthy skinny person lost all his money and became poor, would he become obese? I can't see it.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:59 PM

I'm done. Good luck with this.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:02 PM

ok it is funny to me that you think you are an expert on what poor people eat and drink though. do you live with all of them. only way you could know is if they told you. there are many people who just don't like soda regardless of income.

i don't get how you can say they drink a lot of sodas b/c it is cheap but they don't drink water which is cheaper and healthier. that is an obvious contradiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.