Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these amenities are most important to you in deciding where to live?
Proximity of Family/Loved Ones 41 38.32%
Comfortable weather (55-80 year round, or whatever you deem comfortable) 31 28.97%
Interesting Nature/Hiking Opportunities (Mountains/Canyons/Forests) 44 41.12%
Water access (ocean/lakes) 26 24.30%
Historical Charm/Excellent Cultural Institutions 33 30.84%
General Urbanity (population density/sports/nightlife/airport/etc.) 52 48.60%
Other (none of the above) 5 4.67%
A good COL/wages ratio 34 31.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 01:05 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeandgo92 View Post
For me it's weather .

There are a few cities I would think would be awesome to live in but don't want to deal with 90+ and high humidity every day .

Another small and somewhat immature reason to not move , company seniority At other locations would be lower than what I am now , meaning not only would I most likely be settling for somewhere with less than desireable summer weather to have everything else I want , I will be losing weekends / partial weekends off and working a shift time I don't want .
I don't think that is even remotely silly. I think time is perhaps the most valuable commodity we've been given on this earth, and so wanting to have better times for you to enjoy life, and getting weekends off is absolutely huge to enjoying life. So many have this "work to live" mentality, and I think there's something to be said for hard work. But it's a sad life lived if it involves all work and no play, and personally, I'd rather earn less money and enjoy more time. Use that time to develop myself spiritually and figure out my greater purpose, spend time with family friends, serve others, and selfishly also, just plain enjoying life, traveling, having fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 01:07 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Out of these listed, I'd have to say General Urbanity. At this point in my life, I'd much prefer to live in a mid-major/major metropolitan area or, if smaller, within easy driving distance to one.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:05 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
I've lived in small towns, large cities, places with without any scenery, close/far to the beach.

But the ones that seemed to be most important to me are: General Urbanity and Interesting Nature/Hiking Opportunities.

I consider urbanity any city over 150,000 residents. Having nature makes life more interesting. Imagine driving home living near the Rockies.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:09 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
General Urbanity. This places into my daily life more then any of the other options whether it be where I eat, what I do in my personal time, how I get home, where to shop etc. But it has to be a traditional urban type of place not the new southern style of urban.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:12 PM

152 posts, read 298,590 times
Damn I feel like an ******* because I can careless if family is around ����

Old 07-12-2016, 09:34 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
For everyone it's different. Family matters to me, but it isn't everything. I'm
surprised at how small a factor COL/wages is for many people. My wife and I are both earning 40K right now, but let me tell you, if I could find a job paying double (or even 50%) that in a few years, in an area with a comparable or lower COL to what I have now, we would likely move in a heartbeat. Granted, if I already was in love with where I lived, it would be different, but I think that would weigh heavily, family concerns aside.

Also, I'm surprised at the route some people took in regards to urbanity. Of course, with the site name, CityData, not overly surprised it's winning either lol. I was actually thinking more urbanity as like BIG CITY like having a few of 10K psqm living areas, and even at least being a 2,000,000 metro. I completely agree with you all though, I could never live long term in a metro below 250k, no matter how much family was there. Personally, would also want to live within a 2 hr drive of a 2M metro, though preferably closer.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:41 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
For everyone it's different. Family matters to me, but it isn't everything. I'm
surprised at how small a factor COL/wages is for many people. My wife and I are both earning 40K right now, but let me tell you, if I could find a job paying double (or even 50%) that in a few years, in an area with a comparable or lower COL to what I have now, we would likely move in a heartbeat. Granted, if I already was in love with where I lived, it would be different, but I think that would weigh heavily, family concerns aside.

Also, I'm surprised at the route some people took in regards to urbanity. Of course, with the site name, CityData, not overly surprised it's winning either lol. I was actually thinking more urbanity as like BIG CITY like having a few of 10K psqm living areas, and even at least being a 2,000,000 metro. I completely agree with you all though, I could never live long term in a metro below 250k, no matter how much family was there. Personally, would also want to live within a 2 hr drive of a 2M metro, though preferably closer.
Actually, cost of living is one of the first things I look at before even considering anything else. I probably should have selected that option.

I don't understand how some people can pay $2500/mo in rent. Even with a $100,000 salary, that's a crazy amount of money to be wasting on housing.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:01 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I've lived in every scenario, and I have found, for me, that the ability to go outside and take a walk at any time of the day, is really important to me. If it's too hot or too cold, meaning over 90 degrees or icy or snowy, I am not going to want to go outside for a walk. And if I'm restricted to only being able to go outside comfortably before 9am, for instance, I'll be miserable because I'm trapped in my apartment the rest of the day.

My second choice would be living somewhere with more to do- so I guess that would be urban. I love going to shows, etc., but I also want to live where I can walk my dog, and preferably, have places I can take my dog off-leash.

So, as there are always compromises, I have opted to live where the weather is really mild year-round, and where nobody bugs me to have my dog off-leash at the beach or at the park.

The trade-off is that if I want to see a concert or a class-act show - I have to splurge on a weekend and a trip at least 5 hours away.

For me, there is no one location that would be ideal. So, I choose to live where my most important factor is met - mild temps year-round in the boonies on the coast, where I can live in fleece and take my dog on walks off-leash without any leash nazis giving me a hard time :-)

Old 02-25-2017, 05:20 AM

762 posts, read 1,749,744 times
I was able to choose four, btw. I picked:

Water access (ocean/lakes)
Historical Charm/Excellent Cultural Institutions
General Urbanity (population density/sports/nightlife/airport/etc.)
A good COL/wages ratio

It would feel really weird to me to live in a place with no body of water nearby.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:52 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
Despite the fact that I started this thread, //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ss-nature.html

....I'm going with general urbanity. I love nature, especially the water, but I definitely prefer to live in a thriving urban center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.