Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 11:51 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,738,667 times

Advertisements

Some people just never get the point of a thread. the point is not liking warm weather vs cold weather, or summer vs. winter. It's questioning why people like places that get very hot and uncomfortable for large portions of the year.

Since this is city-data though, I fully expect it to continue to miss the point of the topic until the thread is closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 11:57 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,377,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Cities in the South don't have pedestrian vibrancy because they are largely auto-centric disasters. It has nothing do with the weather.

I said NYC has more pedestrian volume than any Southern city regardless of the time of year. But the question is not whether NYC is more vibrant than El Paso. The question is whether pedestrian volume is any indication of a preference for hot or cold weather. NYC has noticeably lower pedestrian volumes and vibrancy in the winter outside of Times Square.

I only brought that up because of your "you must have never ridden a bike in the 40s" statement. It's sort of a silly comment coming from someone who lives in a relatively hot and sprawling state. It would be like me saying to you "You've probably never watched an SEC football game in your life."

According to you though, those "auto-centric disasters" have the best weather. So why wouldn't there be more people out walking around and biking around? There are still areas within southern cities that could be pedestrian friendly.

And again, you are arguing something that no one is arguing against. We all agree that people prefer weather over 60. So why are you still arguing it? Everyone prefers different things, who cares?

What does my current state have to do with anything? Have you ridden a bike in the 40's? If you have, you know what I am saying, and if you haven't, you proved my point for me.

Quote:
You clearly don't know plenty of Black people. That's actually a fair assumption to make since anybody who knows a large number of Black people knows that July/August is family reunion season and many families make their way down South for cookouts and fish fries.
I lived in a city that is 63% black, and graduated from a school that is majority black.... Yea, it's me that doesn't know any black people....

Your own link from earlier (If I remember correctly it was you anyways) says black people prefer warmer weather more so than white people, so what is your point? I have lived here in the south my entire life, so I know quite a bit more about it than you, BajanYankee. Besides, I am not arguing that no one goes out when it is hot. I am telling you that people down here, for the most part, treat summer like northerners do winter. They stay inside. Some don't, just as some don't up north.

The point is, people prefer different things. You seem to think everyone should prefer what you prefer, which is, well.... quite closed minded.

I will ask again, since you have yet to answer.... Why is it you care so much? Why do you keep trying to "prove" your preferences are somehow better?

Old 07-13-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Some people just never get the point of a thread. the point is not liking warm weather vs cold weather, or summer vs. winter. It's questioning why people like places that get very hot and uncomfortable for large portions of the year.

Since this is city-data though, I fully expect it to continue to miss the point of the topic until the thread is closed.
You are 100% right, Buster. it has veered a bit off track, and I am partly to blame.... So let me try to right the ship....

People like it because they think it is a better alternative to dealing with a full fledged winter. Some people like it because they have arthritis which flares up in cold weather. Some people like it because their bodies don't do as well in cold weather, as mine doesn't do well in hot weather. Some people are from the north and want a change. Some people love the beach and want to be able to go year round.....

There are a myriad of reasons. People are all individuals, so of course they like different things, weather included.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:06 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020 View Post
Okay.

Yes it does.
Standing naked in 95 degree weather is still hot.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:08 PM

379 posts, read 286,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Standing naked in 95 degree weather is still hot.
Yes, but it won't feel uncomfortable. At all.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:09 PM

31,887 posts, read 34,388,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
According to you though, those "auto-centric disasters" have the best weather. So why wouldn't there be more people out walking around and biking around? There are still areas within southern cities that could be pedestrian friendly.
Why would there be more people walking in Dallas than Manhattan when Manhattan is significantly denser than Dallas?

Quote:
I lived in a city that is 63% black, and graduated from a school that is majority black.... Yea, it's me that doesn't know any black people....
Then you should very well know that those very same Black people are going to family reunions and cooking out in the dead of summer. What you said is completely off base and is belied by the fact that family reunions occur primarily during the summer and in the South.

Quote:
Your own link from earlier (If I remember correctly it was you anyways) says black people prefer warmer weather more so than white people, so what is your point?
The point is that you said hardly anybody barbecues in the summer in the South. Given the large Black population in the South, that tells me you must not know many Black people because they are primarily cooking out during the summer.

Quote:
Besides, I am not arguing that no one goes out when it is hot. I am telling you that people down here, for the most part, treat summer like northerners do winter. They stay inside. Some don't, just as some don't up north.
That's not what you said. You're backtracking. You made a specific claim that there aren't many barbecues in the South. That's clearly not the case as Blacks, who make up more than 50% of the Memphis MSA (and 30-35% of the Deep South), love to cookout during the summer.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:17 PM

14,360 posts, read 16,866,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020 View Post
Yes, but it won't feel uncomfortable. At all.
Speak for yourself. I'm sure even if I was naked in 95 degree weather I'd be sweating like mad if I did anything even moderately physically strenuous.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:19 PM

31,887 posts, read 34,388,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Speak for yourself. I'm sure even if I was naked in 95 degree weather I'd be sweating like mad if I did anything even moderately physically strenuous.
That's true. But you'd probably get hypothermia if you remained naked in 50 degree weather for an extended period of time.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Why would there be more people walking in Dallas than Manhattan when Manhattan is significantly denser than Dallas?
First off, this will be my last post to you, as I have been told this is a bit off topic....

Where did I say "more" people? You either can't read, or you are purposely misrepresenting what I have said.

Quote:
Then you should very well know that those very same Black people are going to family reunions and cooking out in the dead of summer. What you said is completely off base and is belied by the fact that family reunions occur primarily during the summer and in the South.

The point is that you said hardly anybody barbecues in the summer in the South. Given the large Black population in the South, that tells me you must not know many Black people because they are primarily cooking out during the summer.
I said, " Have you ever been in the south in July or August? Ain't many cookouts going on down here during that time of year either, unless the person has a pool, or you consider a couple of guys cooking while everyone else is inside a "cookout"."

Reunions are generally held out at parks or beaches, under pavilions or old growth trees in the shade. They aren't usually standing out in the open with it 95 degrees outside. You don't know what you are talking about, Yankee. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
That's not what you said. You're backtracking. You made a specific claim that there aren't many barbecues in the South. That's clearly not the case as Blacks, who make up more than 50% of the Memphis MSA (and 30-35% of the Deep South), love to cookout during the summer.
So let me get this straight.... If 30-35% of people are out during the winter, it doesn't count, but it 30-35% of people are cooking out (It wouldn't be that high but whatever) it is a huge statistical point in your favor? Ridiculous. I live in the south, and I know the south. Trying to tell a southerner what the south is like is just plain dumb. Move down here and see for yourself, otherwise you simply don't know what you are talking about.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:38 PM

1,248 posts, read 817,322 times
Hot weather is for wimps and lazies who spend their days lounging around a swimming pool. It is how one deals with the cold, short grey days and long nights that really bring out the strength of a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.