Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 09:34 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Pittsburgh's would be Penn Hills, Woodland Hills, and West Mifflin along with a handful of old river towns that never recovered after the steel collapse.
Yes, I agree. Also the city of Washington probably is not considered a suburb, but it's in Pittsburgh's urban area and it's scuzzy and rough too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 09:51 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
Many parts of the Westbank and Kenner in suburban New Orleans.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:54 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
Reynoldsburg, Ohio seems to be getting worse according to locals. Although the crime rate is not above the national average yet, it seems to be getting there. I recall when I was temporarily living in Columbus watching the weird news that came from that area. Sometimes I would fill up on gas in Reynoldsburg before heading back to southwest PA and I would get an eerie, depressed feeling in Reynoldsburg. Apparently it's also getting worse in nearby Pickerington too.
Like a lot of cities the working class suburbs in Columbus are the ones most vulnerable to decline. To my knowledge Pickerington is pretty safe but rather unveventful. Canal Winchester seems to be having some issues with property crime and I get the impression that Reynoldsburg is the next Whitehall but not quite on that level yet. Part of it is geography and part of it is poor planning on the municipalities parts.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:52 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
National City, CA and Chula Vista, CA (San Deigo Area)

Old 07-20-2016, 07:46 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,150 times
Sadly, I think this could be the fate of nearly any middle income area within any suburb throughout the nation.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:03 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
Reynoldsburg, Ohio seems to be getting worse according to locals. Although the crime rate is not above the national average yet, it seems to be getting there. I recall when I was temporarily living in Columbus watching the weird news that came from that area. Sometimes I would fill up on gas in Reynoldsburg before heading back to southwest PA and I would get an eerie, depressed feeling in Reynoldsburg. Apparently it's also getting worse in nearby Pickerington too.
Is that true about Pickerington? It appears to be a solidly middle class suburb, where Black households have the highest median household income($83,947 for Black households and 14% Black according to 2010-2014 census info.).

Edit: Didn't see Buckeye's post above.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:10 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh's would be Penn Hills, Woodland Hills, and West Mifflin along with a handful of old river towns that never recovered after the steel collapse.
How could you forget Wilkinsburg?

Old 07-20-2016, 10:37 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,914,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
How could you forget Wilkinsburg?
I don't consider Wilkinsburg a suburb but an adjacent, small city.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:46 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
I don't consider Wilkinsburg a suburb but an adjacent, small city.
Wilkinsburg has more right to be called a suburb than the "handful of old river towns" you mentioned. Places like McKeesport, Clairton, Homestead, Duquesne, Braddock, McKees Rocks, and Aliquippa were never suburbs - they were mill towns. In contrast, Wilkinsburg was built out as a railroad/streetcar suburb for the East End of Pittsburgh. There was never much in the way of industry within its boundaries. Most of the eastern half is pretty suburban in built form as well.

Edit: I can't think of any genuinely suburban portions of Woodland Hills SD which are that bad. Many of the more suburban areas (Forest Hills, Braddock Hills, Churchill, Wilkins Township) are in slow decline, but they're not unsafe. It's the old mill towns in Woodland Hills which have gone to crap. The only structurally suburban areas in the suburbs in decline defined in the most narrow manner are Penn Hills and (parts of) West Mifflin.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:47 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,914,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Wilkinsburg has more right to be called a suburb than the "handful of old river towns" you mentioned. Places like McKeesport, Clairton, Homestead, Duquesne, Braddock, McKees Rocks, and Aliquippa were never suburbs - they were mill towns. In contrast, Wilkinsburg was built out as a railroad/streetcar suburb for the East End of Pittsburgh. There was never much in the way of industry within its boundaries. Most of the eastern half is pretty suburban in built form as well.
Actually, I believe Wilkinsburg was part of the city (or portion of the borough before it was annexed) but chose to split from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.