Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 11:18 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Actually, I believe Wilkinsburg was part of the city (or portion of the borough before it was annexed) but chose to split from it.
Yes, it was annexed in 1883, and then made independent again in 1876 by a special act of the legislature. At that time most of the East End was still undeveloped farmland and/or estates for the wealthy, so it was not like a solid band of development connected it to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 01:36 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is that true about Pickerington? It appears to be a solidly middle class suburb, where Black households have the highest median household income($83,947 for Black households and 14% Black according to 2010-2014 census info.).

Edit: Didn't see Buckeye's post above.
They were referring to the area right on the border with Reynoldsburg and the areas bordering on the City of Columbus. But overall Pickerington is safe. I didn't particularly care for it because it seemed inconvenient to where I worked and the traffic is awful out that way.

Then again the woman who complained grew up in a rural area 45 miles east of Columbus. She moved out of Pickerington to rural area outside of Sunbury.

I actually lived in Grove City for several months. I know in many upper class circles of Columbus, it is seen as less desirable (a.k.a "Grovetucky"), but I liked it.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:45 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
They were referring to the area right on the border with Reynoldsburg. But overall Pickerington is safe. I didn't particularly care for it because it seemed inconvenient to where I worked and the traffic is awful out that way.

Then again the woman who complained grew up in a rural area 45 miles east of Columbus. She moved out of Pickerington to rural area outside of Sunbury.

I actually lived in Grove City for several months. I know in many upper class circles of Columbus, it is seen as less desirable (a.k.a "Grovetucky"), but I liked it.
Grove City is currently one of the fastest growing suburbs in the area. I've heard it called the pejorative "Grovetucky" but I think more out of jest thean anything else.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:58 PM

824 posts, read 711,328 times
A lot of suburbs that have fallen on hard times are more related to issues with inner city areas. Such as a lot of suburbs of Chicago's South Side are really terrible like Harvey and Ford Heights but those suburbs were built up before the suburban boom and relied on Industry like parts of inner cities. There are a lot of suburbs that are not suburban also like Chelsea MA, is a suburb of Boston but is the densest city in Massachusetts.

So, for traditional suburbs that have been built up since the 1940s, there are tons of areas in the Southern USA like this with suburban areas that are decaying and have crime issues.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:19 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,814,954 times
There are a few suburbs to the west of Rochester that seem to have been really nice areas but have turned very ghetto which has caused crime rates to increase. The main two I am referring to are Greece and Gates, NY.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:04 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
There are a few suburbs to the west of Rochester that seem to have been really nice areas but have turned very ghetto which has caused crime rates to increase. The main two I am referring to are Greece and Gates, NY.
There are select apartments near city limits that can be iffy and there was that recent incident at a Wal*Mart in Gates. I don't know if the towns as a whole are ghetto, but there have been things that have occurred.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-21-2016 at 11:14 AM..

Old 07-21-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
There are select apartments near city limits that can be iffy and there was that incident at a Wal*Mart in Gates.
The Gates Walmart is about 5 miles from our house in Chili and it's crazy how fast to changes from a nice area (where I live) to a run down and very unsafe area. When we first moved to the area my wife went to the Walmart by herself to grab a few things and the cashier that check her out, an older black lady, actually closed her checkout line with people still in line to walk with my wife out to her car because of how many instances they have had where black and Hispanic people harass and rob white people.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:28 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
The Gates Walmart is about 5 miles from our house in Chili and it's crazy how fast to changes from a nice area (where I live) to a run down and very unsafe area. When we first moved to the area my wife went to the Walmart by herself to grab a few things and the cashier that check her out, an older black lady, actually closed her checkout line with people still in line to walk with my wife out to her car because of how many instances they have had where black and Hispanic people harass and rob white people.
Wow that is crazy and I wonder if it is a matter of that Wal*Mart being the closest big box store for those that live in poorer city neighborhoods too. That is an east way for a store to get shut down quick.

I think the one on Henrietta is a better option.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-21-2016 at 11:41 AM..

Old 07-21-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Wow that is crazy and I wonder if it is a matter of that Wal*Mart being the closest big box store for those that live in poorer city neighborhoods too. That is an east way for a store to get shut down quick.

I think the one on Henrietta is a better option.
Yep, if we do go to Walmart we definitely go to the Henrietta location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.