Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 03:02 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
We had half a million people at Columbus pride which is incredible given that we are not a giant city. Besides Chicago and Minneapolis there is no comparison in the Midwest.

Where Columbus matches well with your criteria:
-Much less expensive than large coastal cities
-Huge gay population and diverse ages (college students, young professional and older)
-Progressive/liberal views in the core of Columbus, moderate to fiscally conservative views in some suburbs
-Easy access to museums, plays, independent movies, bookstores
-Great and affordable food scene
-Easy access to hiking and nature
-Walkable and developing core with interesting neighborhoods (Arena District, Grandview, German Village, Short North, Victorian Village, University District etc.)

Where it falls short:

-Weather is seasonal. January-February and sometimes March is going to be cold but not significantly colder than any other northern citiy.
-Mass transit is limited to COTA (Central Ohio Transit Authority). The buses run regularly and are great for going up and down high street, the main avenue in Columbus, but crosstown trips are very lengthy and it's much more convenient to drive or uber if you're going to be traveling a considerable distance. On the plus side you can drive to pretty much anywhere important in the metro area in at most 20-30 minutes.
I do have to say that I am hearing alot of good buzz about Columbus lately. A friend and I just booked a trip to check out all the hype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 03:07 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Cultural fit might not mean anything to you but its huge for others like me. I would think I'm not a minority in this. Alot of people choose where to live based off of whats a good fit for them personally aside from affordability and close proximity to family. Cultural/lifestyle fit trumps meeting certain physical criterias thus me choosing to live in certain cities vs. others. Im not saying Atl is out of the question but to take extreme caution as its a big shift i.e. once you leave Atls core hide your gay!
As a former resident of metro Atlanta, I really think you're overexaggerating just a bit; gay people live in various parts of the metro area but even then, as a guy in his late 20's, he'll most likely be living, working, and playing within the city itself or at least within the Perimeter. There's little need to head to the outskirts of the metro for much of anything in that case.

My point about culture was that it doesn't really seem like the OP's current city is a good cultural fit since he's finding it hard to make friends there, so there's a decent chance that Atlanta might fit him better. He'll have to clarify on that point, but the fact that the only advantages he listed for SF are climate and geography is telling.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:08 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
Quote:
I do have to say that I am hearing alot of good buzz about Columbus lately. A friend and I just booked a trip to check out all the hype.
Columbus is definitely not a touristy city but I find that all my friends that visit have a good time and an even worse hangover

Feel free to direct message me if you'd like any suggestions on where to go.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
As a former resident of metro Atlanta, I really think you're overexaggerating just a bit; gay people live in various parts of the metro area but even then, as a guy in his late 20's, he'll most likely be living, working, and playing within the city itself or at least within the Perimeter. There's little need to head to the outskirts of the metro for much of anything in that case.

My point about culture was that it doesn't really seem like the OP's current city is a good cultural fit since he's finding it hard to make friends there, so there's a decent chance that Atlanta might fit him better. He'll have to clarify on that point, but the fact that the only advantages he listed for SF are climate and geography is telling.
I dont think I'm overexagerrating, I actually think your downplaying the importance of living in an area that fits you as a person beyond just physical needs. I agree with you that sticking within the perimeter you will be fine in Atl but in SF your not defined by your sexuality and dont need to play within the sandbox, there are gay communities and bars in suburbs as faraway from SF comparable to Rome or Gainsville GA for Atlanta. This is just one example of a major cultural difference between the two cities.

Last edited by Ebck120; 07-21-2016 at 03:24 PM..

Old 07-21-2016, 03:21 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
I dont think I'm overexagerrating, I actually think downplaying the importance or living in an area that fits you as a person beyond just physical needs. I agree with you that sticking within the perimeter you will be fine in Atl but in SF your not defined by your sexuality and dont need to play within the sandbox, there are gay communities and bars in suburbs as faraway from SF comparable to Rome or Gainsville GA for Atlanta. This is just one example of a major cultural difference between the two cities.
But if you can't make any friends there, does that really even matter? Personally I think socialization is the most important component of a good cultural fit, but hey, I'm just one person. Either way, I'd hope the OP would check out any potential city in person before moving there.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But if you can't make any friends there, does that really even matter? Personally I think socialization is the most important component of a good cultural fit, but hey, I'm just one person. Either way, I'd hope the OP would check out any potential city in person before moving there.
For me the city has to be a viable enviornment for me to be in situations/experiences where I'll lkely meet people I could be friends with. Without that its a dud. Every city provides a little bit of everything but at the end of the day different cities attract different kinds of folks and its not always fun being the minority (based on your likings and/or activities to do i.e. if yours an avid hiker/nature lover, I wouldn't recommend NYC although you could technically do those partake in those activities, its not a major cultural aspect of the city).

Agreed with your statement though, there are factors involved which the op hasnt identified yet. But wherever he may land, doing homework is muy impotant!

Last edited by Ebck120; 07-21-2016 at 03:37 PM..

Old 07-21-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Columbus is definitely not a touristy city but I find that all my friends that visit have a good time and an even worse hangover

Feel free to direct message me if you'd like any suggestions on where to go.
Yeah, we are definitely not expecting NYC but its exciting to see a city with good traditional urban bones reinventing itself. The result is usually a very cool, walkable, innovative city. A friend of mine moved there with his partner recently and he tells us how nice Columbus is. Im having dejavu with Pittsburgh and I think Pittsburgh is a fantastic place.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:59 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1134 View Post
- Mild climate (would prefer warm/sunny vs. cold/cloudy)
- Affordable housing market
- Large population of singles in my age range
- Large LGBT population
- Progressive/liberal political views
- Easy access to museums, plays, independent movie theaters, bookstores
- Diverse population
- A great variety of restaurants/types of food
- Easy access to hiking/nature
- Hilly topography
- Walkable neighborhoods
- Public transportation that runs on a frequent schedule

Thank you!
Aside from LGBT, this list seems to be what a large percentage of posters on C-D.com want in general. Where are others in your age bracket moving? Odds are it would also work for you.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:13 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
The whole culture argument about Atlanta is kind of stupid. Yes, the culture in ATL is different than SF. But as with anything in life, you adapt and get USED TO IT! I'm gay and I'm comfortable being anywhere in the country, no matter what state, city or whether it's an urban or rural location. I opened my mind and realized that people are people, just with different accents and interests, for the most part.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:14 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
I lived in Columbus for 9 months, recently. It's alright. It does have a fairly large gay population indeed. But ALL of the gays are concentrated in the downtown area, for the most part. And the downtown area is expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.