Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:13 AM

444 posts, read 1,049,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Well, actually, there are some limitations. Obviously, it would need to be in the U.S. Also, for the sake of recognition, it would be preferable if the city is recognizable to most people (i.e. try to avoid 4,000 people towns in the middle of nowhere Ohio). However, what is your dream city (whether you live there or not) if you were taking all of your preferences into account. Do you have kids? If so, where would you want them to grow up? Are you conservative or liberal? If so, where would you prefer to live? What type of weather would you want? Could you compromise on weather for an awesome city? Do you want a beautiful skyline or a more sprawling area? Money doesn't necessarily need to be taken into account. If you only make $50,000 a year but you wish you lived in the Upper East Side of Manhattan then go ahead and choose Manhattan. I'm just trying to get a feel of what you want in a city and what you're willing to compromise on.
I would love to live in Manhattan. I live on Long Island already so i don't think weather would tak account. I do not have kids. I am not liberal but not conservative either. I would love to live in one of those high rises with a skyline/ocean view. I think manhattan is so great because you step out of your door and everything is right there around you. Even if I could only live there for a year. I would do it for the experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 10:38 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,382,244 times
No limitations?

IN THE MIDDLE OF A BLACK HOLE WITH THE ABILITY TO HURTLE THROUGH TIME AND SPACE THROUGH THE SHEER POWER OF WILL!!!!!!!!!!

If by no limitations, you mean money and career aren't an issue, I'd like to have a couple of places. A place in Chicago. Maybe Gold Coast. A place in Charleston, SC. Maybe something tasteful South of Broad. I'd want a boat slip both places. I, like JoshB, would want a place in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Maybe between Blowing Rock and Boone. I'd want at least 10-15 acres. 100 would be better. Long range views. A jacuzzi on the deck. Not bad.

If we're going really crazy, I'd also like a place in London and something in the south of France. Maybe Cannes? None of the properties would have to be lavish. Comfortable. Large enough to entertain. Enough bedrooms for my friends and family. Maybe a driver each place and a boat in Cannes, Chas, and Chicago.

I'd probably spend the most time in Chicago and Charleston, but you never know.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:37 AM

694 posts, read 2,651,321 times
Quote:
IN THE MIDDLE OF A BLACK HOLE WITH THE ABILITY TO HURTLE THROUGH TIME AND SPACE THROUGH THE SHEER POWER OF WILL!!!!!!!!!!
With my Karma I end up on the" Planet of the Apes"
( but it sounds so cool )

Different answers for different life stages:

Kid/Teen - Orange County CA.

College Age Pre-Marriage - Any great school near a vibrant city
( ex: Univ. of Chicago )

Husband & Father - Santa Barbra CA.

Retired - With my children & grandchildren
( preferably someplace warm )

Old 02-20-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danco View Post
Karma's a limitation! Shake it off, cowboy.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:45 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,607,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danco View Post

Different answers for different life stages:

Kid/Teen - Orange County CA.

College Age Pre-Marriage - Any great school near a vibrant city
( ex: Univ. of Chicago )

Husband & Father - Santa Barbra CA.

Retired - With my children & grandchildren
( preferably someplace warm )

Considering I'm 19, I think I should reply to that. You know most kids would choose vibrant cities. But I think I could see spending the rest of my life in possibly one place, that would be Boone, NC.

Just my .02 cents

Old 02-20-2008, 03:00 PM

46 posts, read 179,747 times
Beautiful, gentle Pennsylvania. Rural but not redneck, good jobs, lovely cities, wonderful people. We'd return in a heartbeat.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Considering I'm 19, I think I should reply to that. You know most kids would choose vibrant cities. But I think I could see spending the rest of my life in possibly one place, that would be Boone, NC.

Just my .02 cents
Are you at App State, by any chance?

I graduated from there.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:46 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
I think I'd stay right where I am - Woodland Hills (house) and Sherman Oaks (Condo). I may even decide to move just a mile down the road to Studio City.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:20 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
The Virgin Islands.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:44 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,607,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Are you at App State, by any chance?

I graduated from there.
I have no plans on attending Appalachian State, I just love the area. Most people think that I'm, thats ok though. I'm probably going to be studying Video productions or something that is enviromental. I'm not a hippy, well some would say that my ways are kinda hippy-ish. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.