Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 11:18 PM

7 posts, read 11,770 times

Advertisements

Hello, Everyone!

This is Matt, 20 years old. I'm studying in Salt Lake City. I'm from Greece. I have a question for all you guys who has some information about both of those states that I mentioned on my Title.

Well, I'm studying in Utah and Utah is a really good place for who is coming from another country. I've never been into some racist conversation. I'm thinking about moving to Wyoming. Just because colleges prices are really expensive here in Utah. It's cheaper than most of the States, I know that but for me it is.

There are couple things that making me confused about Wyoming. I'm the guy who is really want to make some new friends and live in the peace. I've never been in Wyoming so I have no idea about Wyoming.

I would like to ask you guys, should I move to Wyoming? or Is Wyoming a racist state for non-white people?

If I move to Wyoming, I'll stay there about 4 years. Which means your guy's opinions is really important for me.

I know that every state has some racist people. That's for sure, but I'm looking for as low as Utah.

Thank you so much!

(I have one more option after than Wyoming, it is North Dakota, if you guys know something about North Dakota as well, that would be amazing for me. I really appreciate that.)

You guys have an amazing night.

-I opened this post before in the Utah's Forum and I couldn't find how to delete it. Sorry for that-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 02:43 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Dont deny yourself the chance to get to know people just because of stereotypes and preconceived notions

Old 08-01-2016, 02:56 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,149,700 times
Since when were Greeks considered to be non-white?

Old 08-01-2016, 02:57 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,266 times
Most college campuses in the U.S. are pretty accepting and open minded perhaps with the exceptions of some small super orthodox religious private universities.

As a Greek "racism" probably not shouldn't be your primary concern when transferring colleges.

For example, check out the campus setting itself as well as the academic programs. Is the campus area urban, suburban, rural and do you have any preference? How does the university rank in terms of the programs you would be interested in? How is job placement and can you utilize those services after you graduate? Would you be living on campus or in off-campus housing, and if so how competitive is it to find quality housing? What are their scholarship/financial aid options? How seamless is the transferring process, will all your current credit hours be counted at the new university? All of these questions are probably more important.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:46 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
LOL you will be just dandy pal

Old 08-01-2016, 07:47 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Racists are can be in any state and white people don't corner the market on racism. Very important things to remember.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:34 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Neither state has very many racial minorities, but neither is well known for its racism either. I knew a black guy who moved from Oakland to Salt Lake City and said they were the nicest people he'd met in his life. If there is any racial tension in Wyoming it may be between white & native American, but even that may be negligible.
And if you're Greek, you're white in the United States.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:51 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2050 View Post
You are Greek so will considered white and thereby have the privileges that goes with being white in the US.
Only in the online social justice warrior echo chamber is this true.

Yes, you maybe considered white, but . . .

White ethnics whether hyphenated americans that come from big cities in blue states or born and raised overseas in the motherland, Jewish, Italian, Polish, Greek, etc. are NOT seen as the same in states like Utah or Wyoming.

If you are Italian american from a large metro area in the eastern part of the US, you WILL be assumed by some individuals to have mob ties in states like Wyoming or Utah. If you are Jewish you will have some people act suspiciously toward you by evangelicals or some who are paranoid of a NWO or whatever. If you are from Eastern Europe, you might be assumed to have some shady connections to Russian intelligence. If you are Greek, you may look enough like a Muslim that you might be looked upon slightly suspiciously by some people.

If you are from a "blue" state you ARE more likely to be pulled over by police because of your plates. In states that are popular for their natural scenic beauty (like Utah and maybe Wyoming, less so Kansas or Nebraska) you will get people talk about how tourists from the cities and from overseas are flooding in with crowds, buying properties, and ruining "quality of life" oh but YOU'RE different, you're ok, you're nice.

Now, it may be a minority of ignorant people, but in a lot of America, where its very homogenous and people have lived for generations, but one DOES stick out if they are "white ethnic" and either from the coasts or Europe itself.

Now, this alone should not keep people away from these states, as most people will be friendly, welcoming and hospitable, but you can be "white" and from somewhere else and move to Utah or Wyoming or any other rural, "red" mostly white state, and come out with a little more insight of what it might be like to be African American or at least hispanic.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:31 PM

128 posts, read 267,776 times
Default Salt Lake and Wyoming are much different

While pointing out that he will be ok in Wyoming is true. Salt Lake area is much more urban and more diverse than Wyoming is. There are over 2.4 million people within 40 miles of downtown Salt Lake City, while the whole state of Wyoming is approaching 600,000. Secondly Salt Lake County where he lives has quite a sizable greek community that is well connected to one another. I'm not even sure what sort of Greek community would exist in Wyoming, possibly Cheyenne and Casper might have a little community. But overall Salt Lake is much more urban and does have a more diverse feel than Wyoming would have. I'm sure you will be fine in Wyoming but you might have a culture shock at the beginning of your time there (the largest metro is under 100,000 people).

Old 08-02-2016, 01:33 PM

128 posts, read 267,776 times
Salt Lake Greek Festival
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.