Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the three models of infill best describe the city you live in?
Manhattanization 9 30.00%
Vancouverization 14 46.67%
Brusselization 7 23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 06:53 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Just because high-rises are being built in different corners of town doesn't mean that the build pattern necessarily is randomized/un-ordered. You will never know the complete picture, until the puzzle is complete.
Houston development pattern does seem random though.
And to the outsider it is perplexing when there is an interesting looking old building surrounded by acres of empty lots and that architecturally interesting building gets torn down while the empty lots remain.

Now there may be a valid reason for it, but just saying, to someone with no knowledge of the back stories, it does seem perplexing.

Plus proposals like the Ashby highrise does lend credence to the randomized theory.

Houston's development is not completely randomized, but it is more random than not. When the only thing stopping anything from going up anywhere is located in a deed, that means anything CAN go up anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 12:07 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Just because high-rises are being built in different corners of town doesn't mean that the build pattern necessarily is randomized/un-ordered. You will never know the complete picture, until the puzzle is complete.
It's a bit more random than I like.

If downtown, the Galleria and the TMC were combined, not only would you have a more impressive skyline but also a far more vibrant core.

The peripheral skylines like Memorial don't bother me as much, except that in any other metro they would be located in separate municipalities rather than the core city.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:51 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
I'll add Downtown, Galleria (a more urban version), TMC, and Greenway Plaza. Including the various other highrises dotted around the inner loop in Montrose, Museum District, and River Oaks. I think they are about to break ground on a 54 story tower in the Museum District. The various highrises would be fine if it was densely sprawled and cohesive from the downtown core. I really wonder what Houston would look like if it was zoned.

Also yeah, if Houston city limits like say Philadelphia, places like Westchase and Greenspoint would be the suburbs and the Galleria is nothing more than a Crystal City/Pentagon City without a subway.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'll add Downtown, Galleria (a more urban version), TMC, and Greenway Plaza. Including the various other highrises dotted around the inner loop in Montrose, Museum District, and River Oaks. I think they are about to break ground on a 54 story tower in the Museum District. The various highrises would be fine if it was densely sprawled and cohesive from the downtown core. I really wonder what Houston would look like if it was zoned.

Also yeah, if Houston city limits like say Philadelphia, places like Westchase and Greenspoint would be the suburbs and the Galleria is nothing more than a Crystal City/Pentagon City without a subway.
Most people seem to just call Greenway part of the Galleria and that's what I was doing. From certain angles you can barely even make a distinction.

The occasional highrise you might find inside the loop isn't enough to make a difference. Most cities do not have all of their tall buildings downtown.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:51 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
DFW is pretty much the Texas version of Brussels. The metro keeps spreading out more and more without any thought going into it. Bland and boring.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Most people seem to just call Greenway part of the Galleria and that's what I was doing. From certain angles you can barely even make a distinction.

The occasional highrise you might find inside the loop isn't enough to make a difference. Most cities do not have all of their tall buildings downtown.
Never said that they did and you misunderstood my comment. I didn't say I hardly cared for buildings outside the core. Just how Houston does it randomly in low dense areas deviating from the central core.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
DFW is pretty much the Texas version of Brussels. The metro keeps spreading out more and more without any thought going into it. Bland and boring.
"Bland" and "boring" are personal opinions; not features of Brusselization. What Dallas is doing is a less urban version of Vancouverization.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Never said that they did and you misunderstood my comment. I didn't say I hardly cared for buildings outside the core. Just how Houston does it randomly in low dense areas deviating from the central core.
Oh, Spade, you're so misunderstood.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Oh, Spade, you're so misunderstood.
What was the point of this comment?

Old 08-08-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
What was the point of this comment?
To make fun of what you said lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.