Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important is diversity when it comes to where you live/relocate?
Diversity is very very important to me 11 10.19%
Diversity is a top 3 factor in where I decide to live 22 20.37%
Diversity is okay but it only plays a small role in where I live 24 22.22%
Diversity doesn't play a role at all in where I live 51 47.22%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 09:18 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Funny how you say you said in your original post that you weren't trying to turn this into an ethical/political issue, yet here we are. It was pretty easy to smell your agenda from the beginning.
You are correct, here we are, turned straight into what it wasn't supposed to be. All I simply wanted to know was how important diversity was when choosing to relocate. Everyone preaches about how import diversity is and the more diverse a place it is the better, etc, etc. However, as you can see from the poll results almost 50% of respondents don't care about diversity at all. So no, there was no agenda to smell. I wanted answers, I got them.

But all in all, what does it even matter? People have different views of everything and that is never going to change. I think everyone has an equal opportunity at anything they want, others disagree. I'd rather live around mostly other white people, some people think that makes me intolerant or racist, I disagree. But hey, I guess that's why God (yes I believe in God) made us this way. It would get pretty boring if everyone was the same and had all the same view points, right? Then we couldn't have these awesome city data arguments.

But anyways, I've said what I've had to say. I always enjoy talking about topics that many other shy away from. I guess that's a bad trait of mine. But I have enjoyed this discussion and have learned a lot about how others view this topic. Best of luck to you all!

Last edited by gt87; 08-08-2016 at 10:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 09:44 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I moved to a place where no particular ethnic or racial group is in the majority... that's what I was looking for. Climate was just as important as was scenic and outdoor rec opportunities. I like hearing different languages every day and the cultural mix.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:15 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Good thread. I see a lot of people on CD who list "diversity" as one of the top aspects of choosing an area in which to live. Diversity is good, but it is a bit overblown and misused in our society, IMO. If those wanting the "diversity" they seemingly crave, they wouldn't also preface it with "I want a liberal/conservative, educated/blue collar, etc., etc. area". We want "diversity", but on our terms. Within our comfort zone. "Diversity" also includes diversity of thought. That's usually forgotten. And we can't pick and choose. It has to include everything. From Trump, Hillary, Carson, Bernie, Rush, Alan Combs, etc. Every school of though. No "judging"! Everything is equal! Right? We just have to be honest with ourselves. So I really don't think most people want TRUE diversity. It's just the popular feel-good buzz word these days. I would love to see it personally. Just in its truest sense. Again, good thread!

Old 08-09-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Good thread. I see a lot of people on CD who list "diversity" as one of the top aspects of choosing an area in which to live. Diversity is good, but it is a bit overblown and misused in our society, IMO. If those wanting the "diversity" they seemingly crave, they wouldn't also preface it with "I want a liberal/conservative, educated/blue collar, etc., etc. area". We want "diversity", but on our terms. Within our comfort zone. "Diversity" also includes diversity of thought. That's usually forgotten. And we can't pick and choose. It has to include everything. From Trump, Hillary, Carson, Bernie, Rush, Alan Combs, etc. Every school of though. No "judging"! Everything is equal! Right? We just have to be honest with ourselves. So I really don't think most people want TRUE diversity. It's just the popular feel-good buzz word these days. I would love to see it personally. Just in its truest sense. Again, good thread!
Very well said! I agree completely.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:48 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I agree with these two points. I feel that diversity in America is just a different way of saying white vs everyone else. Example - I was called a racist because I said I want to live around just white people. Truth is, I have no problem with any races or ethnicity I just prefer to live around white people. Whats so wrong with that? However, if a black, hispanic, asian, etc say they want to live around there own kind it's perfectly acceptable and not racist at all.

And to the other point. I feel that as a white person I can't bring up a single thing about another race without being labeled a racist. But on the other hand, other races can freely joke about white people and its just fun and games. I'm just tried of the double standard.
Donald Trump approves this message.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Donald Trump approves this message.
Lets make America great again!

Old 08-09-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Lets make America great again!
Let's. ALL LIVES MATTER (Blue ones more than others).

Old 08-09-2016, 04:24 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
"I love the poorly educated."

Old 08-09-2016, 04:33 PM

Many of our fathers and grandfathers fought to keep America great. They failed. Now it's up to us to make it great again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACxCoA5bqRw

Old 08-09-2016, 07:22 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Less important to me as I grow older...quality of schools are more important. We're an interracial/international family so are diverse as-is. Main thing for me in next place I live is diversity in food choices...more international restaurants and fewer American chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.