Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 06:00 PM

559 posts, read 505,138 times

Advertisements

Omaha has a traditional Little Italy neighborhood just south of downtown 6th to 10th streets stretching several miles south.. To this day, even though the demographics have changed over the decades.. There remains nice restaurants and Orsi's Italian Bakery/pizzeria.. Some of the best Italian loaf bread you can buy. I was down there this past weekend and bought bread, virgin olive oil and some fresh baked (frosted) Ricotta cookies. Great stuff indeed..

There are several other Italian enclaves in Omaha including neighborhoods just west of downtown where my grandfather owned and operated his Italian grocery store (Romeo's Market).. And also the Minne Lusa neighborhood in far north Omaha..

There are between 40-50 thousand Italians in greater Omaha.. If which I am one ..

Peace...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 09:18 PM

822 posts, read 845,326 times
Providence/Cranston/Johnston Rhode Island

Old 08-05-2016, 10:49 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,169,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I don't have a source but I believe South Philly (it's not called Little Italy) still has one of the highest concentrations of Italians in the country. And this thread is about "Best Italian Community." I have never heard anyone from out-of-town ever say that South Philly's Italian community is small until now.
Philly's historic little Italy (the Italian market, 9th st between fitzwater and Wharton) isn't as italian as it once was (though there is certainly still a sizable amount living there) but adjacent areas in South Philly like east passyunk, marconi plaza etc are still largely italian. Philly still has the 2nd largest italian American population (for both city proper and metro) in the US and most of it is still concentrated in South Philly. Besides NYC, Philly is probably the only large U.S city with big city italian American neighborhoods (multiple zip codes with 10,000 plus people claiming italian ancestry). Most of the other "little Italys" or Italian American neighborhoods in the US, especially outside of Northeast, are exactly what they're called, "little" as in not populous.

Last edited by nephi215; 08-05-2016 at 10:59 PM..

Old 08-05-2016, 11:02 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,692,342 times
Just FYI, New Yorks Little Italy has hardly any Italians living in it anymore. It's mostly tourist trap restaurants and gift shops, and is slowly being swallowed up by Chinatown. It doesn't have the history of Mulberry St, but big parts of Staten Island has for decades been a heavily Italian-American section of the city.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:45 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,025,054 times
There is also a famous "Little Italy" in the Bronx. The Belmont area near Fordham University. But like Manhattan's Little Italy it has mostly been reduced to a few Italian restaurants and businesses. I've heard that there are more Albanians than Italians in the neighborhood these days.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:15 AM

5,839 posts, read 6,109,487 times
The ones that immediately came to mind for me were St Louis, New Orleans and Omaha.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:23 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,668,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The point being made is there isn't much left in the way of Italians in the "Italian Market area" beyond the specialty stores like Dibruno's, Superior Pasta, etc.
There are still plenty of Italians in S. Philly. But, I do agree that at this point they're not the majority.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:35 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,829,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I don't have a source but I believe South Philly (it's not called Little Italy) still has one of the highest concentrations of Italians in the country. And this thread is about "Best Italian Community." I have never heard anyone from out-of-town ever say that South Philly's Italian community is small until now.
Exactly. There are a ton of Italian Americans in South Philly. I live in Passyunk Square and there are still so many multi-generation family owned businesses. Come sit at the Singing Fountain and see groups of old Italian men sitting around shooting the s**t (especially in front of the hardware store). There is even a museum in EPX just to the south:

Filitalia International

Anyone saying there aren't many Italian Americans left is wrong.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:28 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,221,111 times
San Diego has little Italy. Been to buffalo?

Old 08-06-2016, 12:50 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,686,087 times
Trenton NJ still has a decent Italian neighborhood in the Chambersburg area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.