Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 03:58 PM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
To people who are in states with these mega-districts, I want to ask how they work out in terms of enrollment.

In states with very small school districts, many parents attempt to choose "the best district" for their child. This is probably a fool's errand, since the strongest correlations between school district performance are social class and race. The "good" districts are "good" because they tend to have wealthier white and Asian students, while the "bad" ones are lower income and have more black and Latino students.

Regardless, on the rare occasions where there is school district consolidation, you often see white middle class parents moving out of the district entirely. This doesn't seem like it's a feasible option with county-wide school districts. Are there pretty hard and fast feeder zones, so that the rich neighborhoods and the poor neighborhoods don't end up integrated in the schools? Or is there just a lot more use of private schools?
What happens in countywide districts is you'll have attendance zones. Those will get adjusted periodically (which can turn into a bloodbath) when enrollments rise or lower, population patterns change or, up until fairly recently, Court ordered desegregation. The system I worked for in MD was under Court supervision for that until 8 or 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 03:40 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
I am not sure but it seems like Hawaii has only one statewide school district.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:33 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
El Paso County which is Colorado Springs has 17 school districts I believe.

Denver which is similar population has only one.

There is a huge difference in quality from one district to another in El Paso County which is the Colorado Springs area.

They have a huge mixture from some of the worst districts in the state to some of the best. There is a huge difference between Harrison District 2 which is a district of mainly run-down, old duplexes to District 12 which is the Broadmoor area which is mainly huge homes and large lots against the mountains.

The odd thing about Colorado is that a majority of the funding comes from the state as opposed to local government as the property taxes are extremely low in Colorado.

I know Douglas County, Nebraska which is Omaha has many districts also. At least 6 that I could count.

Clark County which is Las Vegas has one district covering the entire county.
Good information. Colorado has a total of 179 school districts. The two largest are Denver Public Schools and Jefferson County Schools with about 85k students each. The smallest is Agate School District 300, which has all of 33 students. Ten Colorado school districts have fewer than 100 students.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:18 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I am not sure but it seems like Hawaii has only one statewide school district.
And also the worst schools in the nation, apparently
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.