Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 04:21 AM

218 posts, read 350,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Since you will not be here in the summer months but would like sunshine, I think Arizona is one of your best bets. Coastal California, apart from being expensive, is quite often cool and overcast during the months you'll be here.

Just be prepared for the nature and scenery to be VERY different from what you're used to. It's gorgeous, but...very different.
Coastal California is very sunny from Oct to May. The fog is in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 04:26 AM

218 posts, read 350,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I could well be wrong since I haven't been there in a while- but I think of Tucson as being more interesting and having more of a sense of history and charm.

Scottsdale to me seems like it would be more like Hilton Head, SC- a little more of a "planned suburban community". But hey, it's a vacay and if the outdoors is the primary factor, then character of cities don't factor as much.

Now, if I were to spend a winter somewhere else in the US- it might be New Orleans- charm, history, culture, architecture, food-- but it's not known for its overall safety and low crime rate, and it ain't cheap, so doesn't really meet your criteria.
Old Town Scotts, Pinnacle peak area of Scottsdale, cave creek, carefree, Sedona, flagstaff, and numerous other small towns here in Arizona are not planned suburban sprawl.

I don't know anything about Tucson but glad to hear from you that its more charming.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:31 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona89A View Post
Old Town Scotts, Pinnacle peak area of Scottsdale, cave creek, carefree, Sedona, flagstaff, and numerous other small towns here in Arizona are not planned suburban sprawl.

I don't know anything about Tucson but glad to hear from you that its more charming.
For the record, I didn't use the term "sprawl"- I wrote "community".
I don't think sprawl is planned (unless you're aiming for it - ha!).

Glad to hear the Pinnacle Peak area of Scottsdale is nicer. I'll have to get out there to see it again someday. The desert can be quite beautiful.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:48 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Freezing cold and windy all winter, highs in the 30s, lows in the teens. Ice and snow clogs the streets, dangerous, cold, and dark.
Summers, are beautiful, as is the fall season.
Never been there in the winter, but according to Wiki the average highs in December/January (which are the coldest part of the year) are 43 degrees. Annual snow accumulation is only 23 inches, which isn't much. Overall, the winter weather seems pretty much identical to Denver, but with a lot less snow. I wouldn't call that a cold winter, but then again, I've lived my whole life up north. I'd certainly rather live somewhere with a climate like that than further south, where there was no freezing weather but it gets too hot.

Last edited by eschaton; 08-11-2016 at 07:44 AM..

Old 08-11-2016, 07:26 AM

25 posts, read 24,954 times
Guys, Sounds like maybe Asheville NC, should aslo be on my radar given my list. Thoughts?

------------------------

- Outdoor life. We want the kids to spend lots of time outdoors, preferably in beautiful scenery. We enjoy hiking, cycling and mountain biking for example.

- Weather! Having lived in a wet, mild Irish climate for most of our lives we want to experience sun, sun and more sun. We could do harsh winters, but would prefer not to.

- We want something quite different from life in Ireland. For this reason the east coast doesn't appeal as much (as beautiful as I'm sure it is). Different in terms of scenery, culture and weather

- Safe for us and of course the kids.

- We don't want to live downtown in a big city. Prefer small/medium town or suburb.

- We are very health conscious (food and exercise) and like living in places where other people have similar lifestyles and organic food etc being available is a nice to have

- Nature and beautiful scenery.

- We appreciate 'nice' things, as I'm sure most people do...nicely kept, pretty towns, nice restaurants etc

- I don't want to let budget be the determining factor but of course we prefer to spend less if possible.

- Wifey hates mosquitos...minor point, but worth mentioning. Also we are wary of lyme and things of that nature.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:10 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
St George even colder than Vegas.
Vegas and St George also rather cloudy from Nov to March.
They're from 35 degrees latitude and north, subject to more storms.
I know you're boosting the places you've suggested, but let's be real for a moment. The OP is coming from Ireland where the average high in the middle of summer is in the 60s. St. George is in the 50s in December, January, and February.

St. George is also within a couple hours drive of SIX National Parks. It's also 2 hours from Vegas and 4 from Salt Lake.

On top of that the COL of St. George is considerably lower than any of the cities the OP was originally looking at.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:43 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Coastal California is very sunny from Oct to May. The fog is in the summer.
You must be talking about a specific part of California, San Francisco maybe? Where I live in Southern California, fog aka marine layer is expected in May and June, not all summer. Actually, we've had some morning marine layer right now in the beginning of August, but that's quite unusual.

I wouldn't say it's very sunny and warm here from October to May. The last few years with the drought it's been warmer and sunnier than usual, but from November on, temps are typically 50s, 60s, low 70s. Probably warm to someone from Ireland, but not exactly beach weather.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:04 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
Yuck, not Scottsdale. Boring and beige and even more boring than beige. Yuck.

Secondly, Austin isn't a thing like Scottsdale. It's fun but is getting too big and more bland than it was, and it isn't really in an environmentally beautiful area.

Of the 3 you first mentioned, Santa Barbara would be most beautiful and fun, but it is EXPENSIVE!

What about these options: Sheridan Wyoming. Spearfish, SD. Durango, CO. Flagstaff, AZ. Alpine, TX. Taos, NM. Bend, OR. Ashland, OR. Portland, OR. Bellingham, WA.

Have fun! (And please don't go to deadly boring Scottsdale!)

Old 08-11-2016, 09:26 AM

25 posts, read 24,954 times
Ha 601, throwing a spanner in there just when I thought I was closing in on a location. Why do you think Flagstaff might be a better option than Scottsdale, in relation to the list I highlighted?

------------------------

- Outdoor life. We want the kids to spend lots of time outdoors, preferably in beautiful scenery. We enjoy hiking, cycling and mountain biking for example.

- Weather! Having lived in a wet, mild Irish climate for most of our lives we want to experience sun, sun and more sun. We could do harsh winters, but would prefer not to.

- We want something quite different from life in Ireland. For this reason the east coast doesn't appeal as much (as beautiful as I'm sure it is). Different in terms of scenery, culture and weather

- Safe for us and of course the kids.

- We don't want to live downtown in a big city. Prefer small/medium town or suburb.

- We are very health conscious (food and exercise) and like living in places where other people have similar lifestyles and organic food etc being available is a nice to have

- Nature and beautiful scenery.

- We appreciate 'nice' things, as I'm sure most people do...nicely kept, pretty towns, nice restaurants etc

- I don't want to let budget be the determining factor but of course we prefer to spend less if possible.

- Wifey hates mosquitos...minor point, but worth mentioning. Also we are wary of lyme and things of that nature.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:39 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
Scottsdale is essentially a suburb of Phoenix and it's mostly full of retirees.

Flagstaff is an independent university town in a beautiful area.

If you want to live in plastic big box store air conditioned tedium, pick Scottsdale.

If you want your kids to have some fun memories of adventures in America, pick some of the other options. If you're set on Arizona, pick either Flagstaff or Sedona (but Sedona's full of retirees, too.)

Add Silver City and Truth or Consequences, New Mexico to your list of places to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.