Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 02:20 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times

Advertisements

Boulder has some hippie crits..some of the real throw backs have moved to Ward, Fruita and other small mountain towns around the state. Someone posted before... said that Boulder was Christian and conservative?...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 09:44 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,723 times
Ann Arbor, MI.
Sandals seem to be the official footwear of the city.
Mostly bald head w/ponytail is fairly common amongst men over 50.
Annual "Hash-Bash party at U of M.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:35 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
basically the entire stretch from santa cruz to portland you will find places all the way up it is still going on. (of course now, with whole foods and some yuppies thrown in)
I have been to the places mentioned in the south east, do not think it is the same at all. But perhaps in the context of the south. To me that vibe is comparable to a neighborhood art fest in a big city...
Really, a much different vibe and culture than what is on the west coast.
I think if people living out in Humboldt for example moved to Athens Ga... they would probably start hitch hiking their way back and think it was ultra conservative.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:39 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
I'm really surprised there hasn't been much mention of Burlington, VT. The place is loaded with hippies haha. I guess every year on 4/20 the students and professors meet up in the main city common and smoke weed together. The bud there is ridiculously good and cheap too. Great stuff for as cheap as $5 a gram.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:33 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Portland, OR
Brattlboro, VT
Burlington, VT
Asheville, NC
Portland, OR
Crescent City, CA
Bend, OR
Madison, WI
Lawrence, KS

Old 09-04-2009, 10:19 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Portland, OR
Brattlboro, VT
Burlington, VT
Asheville, NC
Portland, OR
Crescent City, CA
Bend, OR
Madison, WI
Lawrence, KS
Crescent City? It never struck me as much of hippie town when I used to drive through there to get to the coast from Southern Oregon. Crescent City is more conservative and kind of has a weird feeling due to the influence of the Pelican Bay prison. All the hippies live down in Arcata or if you travel down Hwy 101, in places like Garberville--the famed Reggae on the River Festival brings a ton of people to this region every year. Lot's of hippie pot growers down in the mountains of the Emerald Triangle(although of lot of the pot growers are actually backwoods mountain types too). Alot of old hippies settled in this region coming up north from San Francisco back in the 70s.

Ashland, Oregon has a lot of hippies too, at least it did when I lived down there. Not sure if yuppie gentrification has chased most of them away to new environs at this point, but while I was there from 1998-2003 the town was crawling with old school hippies, young transplanted hippies from the east coast, dirtbag hippies, buddhist vegan hippies, etc. Bend doesn't seem to have much of a hippie vibe these days--although I guess on the west side of town you have more of the ski bum mentality(kind of hippieish). Portland, Oregon has hippies, especially if you go to a show at this Crystal Ballroom or Aladdin Theatre, but at this point most of the town feels more hipster or yuppie.

Last edited by Deezus; 09-04-2009 at 11:40 AM..

Old 09-05-2009, 08:20 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Crescent City? It never struck me as much of hippie town when I used to drive through there to get to the coast from Southern Oregon. Crescent City is more conservative and kind of has a weird feeling due to the influence of the Pelican Bay prison. All the hippies live down in Arcata or if you travel down Hwy 101, in places like Garberville--the famed Reggae on the River Festival brings a ton of people to this region every year. Lot's of hippie pot growers down in the mountains of the Emerald Triangle(although of lot of the pot growers are actually backwoods mountain types too). Alot of old hippies settled in this region coming up north from San Francisco back in the 70s.

Ashland, Oregon has a lot of hippies too, at least it did when I lived down there. Not sure if yuppie gentrification has chased most of them away to new environs at this point, but while I was there from 1998-2003 the town was crawling with old school hippies, young transplanted hippies from the east coast, dirtbag hippies, buddhist vegan hippies, etc. Bend doesn't seem to have much of a hippie vibe these days--although I guess on the west side of town you have more of the ski bum mentality(kind of hippieish). Portland, Oregon has hippies, especially if you go to a show at this Crystal Ballroom or Aladdin Theatre, but at this point most of the town feels more hipster or yuppie.
I get some of those northern California towns confused. Ya, it was probably Arcata. I forgot about Ashland.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 10,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Do you know hippie hangouts in Mexico ?
check out the state of nayarit

Old 01-31-2010, 09:08 AM

65 posts, read 297,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Let's not forget the self proclaimed "eccentric capitol", Eureka Springs, Arkansas, a city which recently voted to decriminalize pot, and generally votes about 25% Republican.
Its a gorgeous area, very friendly.
I agree with Ira500. Also has a large gay community.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,229 times
Asheville, NC is hip, friendly, open community at the foot of the oldest mountains with a lot of local farming, artists, music, ecclectic open-minded people. Beautiful and laid-back!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.