Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:25 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
Salt Lake....but then I guess you don't have "fresh" water exactly. lol.

Denver would be a good fit....but it's pretty expensive.

Have you thought of San Antonio? It's economy is smoking hot, it's pretty inexpensive, and if you're looking to buy real estate, San Antonio is one of the few places where you'd be making a really wise investment.
Salt Lake seemed like a decent option, but there's the lack of fresh water, plus I'm not sure I dig the whole mormon/polygamy thing...

Denver's definitely more pricey than I'm looking for, plus I'm not a big fan of snow... I've had more than my share growing up in NY.

Haven't looked at San Antonio yet, will check into it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats where youre wrong. There are MANY affordable areas of Chicago, and the jobs pay very well. Dont make the assumption that all of Chicago is ridiculously expensive, its ALOT cheaper than L.A. There are TONS of neighborhoods to choose from, many of them are very exciting places to live, with endless nightlife, etc. And the nice thing is that you can easily live on the northside and commute downtown via Chicago's extensive public transportation system. It eliminates the need to own a car which can save you even more money.

And the humidity in Atlanta is very similar to Charleston, in the summer its quite appaling.
Hmm... I've had a difficult time trying to find much in the way of affordable mini-'McMansions' that you can find in the DFW area. (So sue me I'm a sucker for the suburbia lifestyle, I like nice yards and not having houses absolutely packed together). Most of the affordable housing in Chicago seems to be all in the look of the house on "Family Matters" (although if there are some affordable stereotypical suburbs, please let me know, I just haven't been able to locate them). Nor am I a fan of spending an hour commuting to and from work, or the frigid winters.

It's interesting, thinking about the humidity deal. My only real objection to the humidity is when I'd have to do yard work or other strenuous outdoor labor. So maybe the humidity isn't all that bad...

Another thing I have a strong dislike for is canopies of power lines, it just really sucks the beauty right out of an area. It seems to be a big thing in many areas of Chicago, Pittsburgh, Toronto, etc.

Last edited by RowingMunkeyCU; 02-21-2008 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 01:32 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
Hmm... I've had a difficult time trying to find much in the way of affordable mini-'McMansions' that you can find in the DFW area. (So sue me I'm a sucker for the suburbia lifestyle, I like nice yards and not having houses absolutely packed together). Most of the affordable housing in Chicago seems to be all in the look of the house on "Family Matters" (although if there are some affordable stereotypical suburbs, please let me know, I just haven't been able to locate them). Nor am I a fan of spending an hour commuting to and from work, or the frigid winters.

It's interesting, thinking about the humidity deal. My only real objection to the humidity is when I'd have to do yard work or other strenuous outdoor labor. So maybe the humidity isn't all that bad...
How much can you spend on a house? That would be the question to ask. There are many affordable suburbs, but many of them are growing like a weed and are mostly comprised of cookie-cutters, sadly. You can find a great older home in many towns further out west, that have access to Metra to get downtown faster, but Id need to know how much you can spend first.

As for humidity, it does more good than harm. It keeps you more hydrated, keeps the skin/hair/sinuses healthy, etc. It can and does get pretty uncomfortable on many days here, but the good thing is that it doesnt stick around for too long. It comes and goes in short/medium length spans. Its definitely not South Carolina or Florida, I can tell you that much.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
How much can you spend on a house? That would be the question to ask. There are many affordable suburbs, but many of them are growing like a weed and are mostly comprised of cookie-cutters, sadly. You can find a great older home in many towns further out west, that have access to Metra to get downtown faster, but Id need to know how much you can spend first.

As for humidity, it does more good than harm. It keeps you more hydrated, keeps the skin/hair/sinuses healthy, etc. It can and does get pretty uncomfortable on many days here, but the good thing is that it doesnt stick around for too long. It comes and goes in short/medium length spans. Its definitely not South Carolina or Florida, I can tell you that much.
Since I'd be looking for a first home, preferably less than $150k, but if the job offer was right, $200k might be do-able.

I've never been to Florida, but from everything I've heard (my little brother worked for Disney in their intern program) the heat and humidity there is absolutely miserable. Charleston's humidity wasn't all that bad, as long as I wasn't working outdoors (I was on a trip similar to "Habitat for Humanity"-type stuff, doing home repairs and putting down new tin roofing in the middle of the summer). The humidity might be a nice change, I always get horribly chapped lips in the winter...

To give you an idea of some of the housing types that would be pretty ideal (albeit smaller)
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...park-pics.html

Old 02-21-2008, 04:51 PM

Here's some more pics I found of some of the neighborhoods that are pretty ideal. (I know that they're mostly out of my budget for now, but that's the general look/feel I'm interested in.)
//www.city-data.com/forum/131390-post4.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/131398-post6.html

Sidewalks are nice, and the lack of powerlines is awesome! However I couldn't care less about living on a golf course. Slightly older neighborhoods are good too (for the big trees), I'm also not a big fan of the clear cutting that they do for the new subdivisions.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:02 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Dallas is not humid, but extremely hot in the summer. They also get tornadoes. Snow is not uncommon in winter. Overall, though, Dallas would be a great option. As well as Austin and San Antonio. Sacramento, CA is a good option.

Denver may get snow in the winter, but they actually some of the highest numbers of sunny days of any place in America. The winters are not brutal like in Chicago. Sometimes the snow will fall, but will melt within a week b/c temps go back in the 40's and 50's. The homes are not outrageously expensive, especially in suburbs farther out.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Dallas is not humid
LMBO

Dallas is not humid? Ive heard it all now. Dallas is a goshdanged sauna in summer.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:14 PM

Well, not all year round like some other places. But yeah, the summers are pretty bad if you don't like heat. Florida would be better than Dallas because you have the same temperatures, but a beach. In the winter, if you like colder weather, go to Dallas. If you like heat like me, go to Florida.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:24 PM

41 posts, read 98,869 times
San Jose (silicon valley), but I'm not sure how low (or more likely, high) the cost of living is.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
Salt Lake....but then I guess you don't have "fresh" water exactly. lol.

Denver would be a good fit....but it's pretty expensive.

Have you thought of San Antonio? It's economy is smoking hot, it's pretty inexpensive, and if you're looking to buy real estate, San Antonio is one of the few places where you'd be making a really wise investment.
I think the COL in Denver is fairly reasoable. For example, you can get a 2 BR apt for ~$700-900/mo. The median price of a home to buy is around $250K (varies greatly from area to area).

Not near fresh water that won't dry up, but seems to have its act together regarding water, unlike Atlanta which gets about twice as much natural rainfall.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-21-2008 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-21-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onliner1 View Post
San Jose (silicon valley), but I'm not sure how low (or more likely, high) the cost of living is.
San Jose has some of the highest COL and real estate prices in the country. An average home there is in the upper 800k range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.