Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 08:40 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times

Advertisements

Baltimore... Best bargain in the US when it comes to waterfronts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 08:49 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeandgo92 View Post
Tacoma is cheap ? I always assumed it was crazy rent like Seattle
According to this sight Tacoma overall is 31% cheaper than Seattle and housing is 58% cheaper than Seattle.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

and I can prove it by doing a quick search on zillow, I placed the sq footage between 1,000 and 1,100 for any apartment.
Tacoma's first three prices (per month) were: $1,280, $1,603, $1,875
Seattle's first three prices (per month) were: $2,595, $2,726, $2,880
Apartments For Rent in Tacoma WA | Zillow
Apartments For Rent in Seattle WA | Zillow

Last edited by Yac; 09-06-2016 at 06:37 AM..

Old 08-17-2016, 09:40 PM

4,526 posts, read 5,096,608 times
Cleveland, Milwaukee and Buffalo... best bang for your buck in any of those 3.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:54 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Cleveland, Milwaukee and Buffalo... best bang for your buck in any of those 3.
I would add Rochester, which does have its Charlotte neighborhood on Lake Ontario and a beach right there.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:17 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times
Jax is easily in the discussion. The waterfront real estate (particularly because there is just so much water) is insanely cheap and the affordability of the area goes well beyond just RE. But anyway, oceanfront one-bedroom condos can be had in nice areas starting around 250k, luxury high-rises on the river for maybe around 200k. The high end (penthouses and similar) are relatively cheap and don't get me started on the SFH, i.e., mansions, right on the water.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:28 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
I want to live on an ocean or major lake . Which cities are not SoCal price wise ?

I was thinking about Norfolk , Tampa , providence area , Boston . I'm limited to where my job is located
Boston's not quite at SF and NYC levels, but it's not far enough behind to mark a significant COL difference. I'd cross it off your list if price is the biggest component.

Providence isn't really on the ocean. It's on the Providence River which empties into Narragansett Bay which empties into the Atlantic. It doesn't feel at all like a city on the ocean. That being said, some of its suburbs are coastal and may provide what you're looking for. Wickford, Greenwich, and Bristol are nice coastal suburbs with walkable town centers, good restaurants, and easy access to downtown Providence. Pawtuxet Village (in Cranston) and Warren are even more affordable coastal suburbs with nice walkable village/town centers and good restaurants. Coastal living is possible in Suburban Providence, but not really in the city itself. New Bedford, MA is part of metro Providence, and it's the definition of a coastal city. It's a down on its luck historic seaport (the downtown area is a national historic park) and home to America's highest-grossing fishing fleet. It has oceanfront parks, extremely affordable real estate and a cool, historic downtown (Melville lived here and based Moby Dick off of his experiences, and Fredrick Douglass lived there as well). It has higher than average crime and you'd likely have to commute to Providence or Boston for work though as the economy is in tough shape in NB.

Chicago really is the most affordable major city in the U.S. in my opinion. It's also right on the lake and has arguably better water frontage in the city center than any city in the country other than maybe Honolulu, Miami, or San Diego. Jacksonville definitely deserves a mention as it's certainly affordable and has great ocean frontage (although it's a ways from downtown). Baltimore has a great harbor and among the most affordable rents/real estate in the Northeast. The gulf coast offers some great, affordable frontage. Even much of suburban Houston is coastal.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:49 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,486 times
Rochester, Buffalo, or Cleveland

Old 08-18-2016, 11:53 AM

431 posts, read 521,516 times
You can check Boston off your list. In terms of climate what is your preference?

Old 08-18-2016, 12:20 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
In Greater Cleveland, Euclid has some very cheap lakefront properties, only 15 minutes from University Circle, one of the nation's cultural centers.

E.g., 25801 Lakeshore Blvd., is a high rise, lakefront condo.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...95_rect/11_zm/

Lakewood, one of the most densely populated cities in the Midwest, is immediately adjacent to Cleveland, with good lakefront parks in Lakewood Park and nearby Edgewater Park, as well as the spectacular Rocky River Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks.

Relatively speaking, there are some cheap lakefront condos in Lakewood.

Lakewood OH Condos & Apartments For Sale - 80 Listings | Zillow

Personally, having lived on the lakefront, I think it gets old after a while. I now prefer living very near natural parks, for biking and hiking, but I visit lakefront parks, even in winter, when I want a lake "fix."

Living on the Great Lakes is very different than living on a warm ocean. E.g., a highlight IMO on Lake Erie is watching the process as the lake freezes, typically in January, and hiking on shore ice, which is becoming less common with global warming.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:27 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
I want to live on an ocean or major lake . Which cities are not SoCal price wise ?

I was thinking about Norfolk , Tampa , providence area , Boston . I'm limited to where my job is located
Tampa is fairly limited with it's waterfront properties since it's primarily inland. Check out St Petersburg/St Pete Beach which is on a peninsula with bay and oceanfront properties well under that of Southern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.