Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Upstate NY: More like Pennsylvania or New England?
Pennsylvania 37 66.07%
New England 19 33.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 11:26 PM

102 posts, read 117,587 times

Advertisements

Title.

Recently drove through Upstate NY and couldn't decide for myself.

Which one is it most similar to and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 11:47 PM

49 posts, read 59,770 times
I'd say Upstate isn't a homogenous region. The Adirondacks/lake George area is very much like New England, particularly Vermont. Buffalo and Rochester are sort Midwestern in many ways. I'm not really sure about Syracuse or Albany.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:53 PM

184 posts, read 235,123 times
Western NY is more like Pennsylvania. Especially Buffalo, Rochester, and Binghamton.
Buffalo/Rochester= Erie
Binghamton= Scranton
The southern portion of WNY is similar to north central PA .
WNY also kinda resembles northeast Ohio.

Northern NY is more like New England.
Albany= Springfield
The northernmost portion of NY resembles Vermont.

The southern Hudson valley, between the Bronx and Albany. Including Westchester, Rockland, Dutchess etc. This area resembles Connecticut, North Jersey , or even northeast Pennsylvania.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:13 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,126 times
Never been but I always heard it was more Midwestern but it is a big place so I imagine influenced differently depending where you are.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:59 AM

93,192 posts, read 123,783,345 times
A little bit of both, I guess. The Southern Tier is similar to PA and is the part of Upstate NY next to PA. You have quite a few small towns with that stereotypical New England look as well. It essentially depends on what part of Upstate NY you are in, as some may parts of it has a Canadian feel as well.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:21 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Just because the cities in western New York aren't like New York, Boston or Philly doesn't make the Midwestern. Buffalo and Rochester are a lot like Worcester, Springfield, Bridgeport and New Haven.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Just because the cities in western New York aren't like New York, Boston or Philly doesn't make the Midwestern. Buffalo and Rochester are a lot like Worcester, Springfield, Bridgeport and New Haven.
Yeah, I never understood why people view them as "Midwestern" cities. They are still Northeastern cities, period.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
Western NY is more like Pennsylvania. Especially Buffalo, Rochester, and Binghamton.
Buffalo/Rochester= Erie
Binghamton= Scranton
The southern portion of WNY is similar to north central PA .
WNY also kinda resembles northeast Ohio.

Northern NY is more like New England.
Albany= Springfield
The northernmost portion of NY resembles Vermont.

The southern Hudson valley, between the Bronx and Albany. Including Westchester, Rockland, Dutchess etc. This area resembles Connecticut, North Jersey , or even northeast Pennsylvania.
I don't know about all of this.......Albany is one of the oldest cities in the US and has quite a few row house neighborhoods. Same with the other area cities. It is in the Capital Region/District.

Parts of the North Country has a Canadian feel to some people.

Buffalo and Rochester are and have always been much bigger than Erie.

Syracuse if you are in the southern portion of the city/area, may look similar to PA due to the hills and valleys. For instance, this is a neighborhood in a suburb just south of the city: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9823...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 08-19-2016, 08:03 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
Having lived both in New York State and New England, I would say definitely not New England. It's very noticeable that when you cross the state borders from the New England to New York you see a marked difference in the towns and countryside. Very generally speaking the towns in NY lack the tidiness of New England as well as a "commons". But if Nelson Rockefeller hadn't done such a demolition job of Albany's downtown more of it would look like Beacon Hill in Boston.

Probably they are closer to Pennsylvania but they have their own distinctiveness.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:40 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Definitely NOT New England. Overall, it's more like PA. Upstate NY is vastly rural, more conservative and has lots of farms, similar to PA. The structure and relationships of municipalities and their respective metro/micropolitan areas are more similar to PA also. In New England, the concept of a metro area is quite different. Things in New England are very compact and concentrated and traveling just 30 miles away from one point to another can make a huge difference in scenery and culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.