Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:00 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Most people are usually only attracted to what is familiar. People like to believe that preferences are innate, but they aren't. They're learned and applied.
But, familiar in terms of your mom and dad (or whomever you had in the household) or familiar in terms of who you went to school with, who you work with on a daily basis, and the people you see in your community on a day to day basis? If your family doesn't look like everyone else in the community, who do you generally find attractive?

I mostly lived in areas with people who don't look like me or my family at all. Generally speaking, I'm attracted to men who resemble the guys that I liked in high school, not my father. Do I have daddy issues? No, not at all. If we want to talk Freudian/anthropoligcal theories here, I guess it means I have more urge to diversify the family clan rather than play it safe and stick with a guy who looks like my family. I am more concerned with health and I value beauty, and having kids with someone who is much different helps to weed out bad recessive genes and generally helps make healthier children (I said generally, not always). If I was more concerned with keeping my family's wealth, I would be more inclined to marry someone similar. Rich people usually marry someone similar to them in ethnicity and/or appearance. It prevents possible enemies from intruding on the family's wealth and attracting too much attention to one's self and their (possibly) more attractive child.

Last edited by skidamarink; 09-12-2016 at 08:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 10:07 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
Yes! I dunno, I think some guys have this fantasy that all women are going to end up sad and alone. Like, all the hot/universally desirable guys will never settle down with women, so the women are going to be desperate and date THEM! Lol. It's really crazy.
Then that means that a lot of these women are going to end up dating the same men. Just hope they know that their sharing men.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:50 PM

247 posts, read 197,983 times
I don't really enjoy being tall at 5'9 and it does limit the men who might be interested. I think handsome men are all over the country! But differences in height I believe to vary between areas. I felt like a giant in Miami and Texas, average height in Colorado and small in Wyoming. So much variation in 'friendliness' as well.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I thought that since the other thread about women exists, it would be fun to do this thread. Though I do suspect that those who are attracted to men are in the minority out of all the posters on here.

Where do you think this place is? Men who act like gentlemen, not tools, and are good-looking? That's a tough spot to fill. I don't think it's Arizona because while a lot of the Arizonan men are attractive, a lot of them are tools.
I haven't read all of the responses, but what do you mean that "those who are attracted to men are in the minority out of all the posters on here"?

Before I read any responses, my immediate answer was "Texas." Texans, both male and female, are very friendly and easy to talk to, and the culture is relaxed. They also still open doors for women and by and large treat women like ladies.

I'm not sure what you mean by "tool," so I can't comment to that.

Interestingly enough, I also find men in Oregon to be like Texans. They are friendly and polite and actually hold doors open, as a rule. Women are also very friendly in OR. It's amazing, but I'm only 30 miles from the OR border in CA, but the difference in friendliness and politeness and manners are remarkable in OR, where I go to shop tax-free.

And, it's amazing how most anybody will look attractive when they are friendly and polite and have good manners. It's attractive.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:54 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

Interestingly enough, I also find men in Oregon to be like Texans. They are friendly and polite and actually hold doors open, as a rule. Women are also very friendly in OR. It's amazing, but I'm only 30 miles from the OR border in CA, but the difference in friendliness and politeness and manners are remarkable in OR, where I go to shop tax-free..
You obviously haven't been to Portland.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:00 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,804,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I haven't read all of the responses, but what do you mean that "those who are attracted to men are in the minority out of all the posters on here"?

Before I read any responses, my immediate answer was "Texas." Texans, both male and female, are very friendly and easy to talk to, and the culture is relaxed. They also still open doors for women and by and large treat women like ladies.

I'm not sure what you mean by "tool," so I can't comment to that.

Interestingly enough, I also find men in Oregon to be like Texans. They are friendly and polite and actually hold doors open, as a rule. Women are also very friendly in OR. It's amazing, but I'm only 30 miles from the OR border in CA, but the difference in friendliness and politeness and manners are remarkable in OR, where I go to shop tax-free.

And, it's amazing how most anybody will look attractive when they are friendly and polite and have good manners. It's attractive.
"Those who are attracted to men are in the minority out of all posters on here" = Straight women and gay men are probably in the minority to straight men and lesbians on this forum.

"Tool" = Douchebag, player, etc.

Yes good manners and intelligence makes anyone much more attractive! I 100% agree.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
"Those who are attracted to men are in the minority out of all posters on here" = Straight women and gay men are probably in the minority to straight men and lesbians on this forum.
What an odd perception. Why on earth would you think this?

Old 09-15-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
You obviously haven't been to Portland.
LOL, well this is true. The cities where many people move from somewhere else, or the population is mainly younger, college folk, could be the exception. I did go to Portland often when I lived in the White Salmon area, but never lived there.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:53 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,339 times
Idaho, Utah, Montana and San Diego

Old 09-15-2016, 09:58 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,199,687 times
As of 30+ years ago the hottest men (I can't say friendliest) were in northeast Texas (Longview, Kilgore area) and in southern Missouri Ozark territory. Both areas were utter hunkville!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.