Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 10:38 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times

Advertisements

not exactly a city, but this neighborhood could be so much more (Redondo, Des Moines, WA). It is right on the puget sound and only has one restaurant, a small aquarium operated by a nearby community college, a park, and a very nice board walk. It's got some apartments, but it would be much better if they were torn down and new ones built so that the first floor would be filled with little shops and restaurants. This place has so much potential and even with just the beach tons of local people come and visit this place. It used to be a much more happening place back in the day, it even used to have an amusement park before it burned down in 1951. It was also originally named Redondo because the developers thought that it would be similar to Redondo Beach, CA.
History of Redondo Beach - Salty's Waterfront Seafood Grills

Google Street View:
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.3496...7i13312!8i6656

and it this place needs to have a bus route, this place gets lots of traffic as is and parking is limited and the nearest park and ride is 1.5 miles away and the nearest transit center is 2.7 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 11:03 PM

411 posts, read 719,747 times
Silicon Valley -- a/k/a the collection towns stretching from South San Francisco to North San Jose and west of the SF Bay

Old 08-25-2016, 12:10 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
I would really like to see the main arterial streets in Minneapolis become lined with mid rises outside of downtown. At least on the vacant lots or where there are single story postwar buildings (the old streetcar era storefronts can stay). It is starting to happen in a few areas of the city but I want it everywhere. There is enough developable space that the city could probably add 100,000 people without changing the basic fabric of the neighborhoods outside of the main streets. This would give the city the built form of very urban major streets cutting through green leafy neighborhoods of old brick walkup apartment buildings and 100 year old houses. I think that would be a nice combination with the best of both worlds.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:00 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I would really like to see the main arterial streets in Minneapolis become lined with mid rises outside of downtown. At least on the vacant lots or where there are single story postwar buildings (the old streetcar era storefronts can stay). It is starting to happen in a few areas of the city but I want it everywhere. There is enough developable space that the city could probably add 100,000 people without changing the basic fabric of the neighborhoods outside of the main streets. This would give the city the built form of very urban major streets cutting through green leafy neighborhoods of old brick walkup apartment buildings and 100 year old houses. I think that would be a nice combination with the best of both worlds.
That sounds a lot like what Shaker Heights, OH is (a transit-oriented planned suburb of Cleveland). Mid-rises line the corridors where the transit lines and the busiest streets are, but the neighborhoods beyond that are all very much akin to what you'd see in most SFH neighborhoods in Minneapolis, like Tangletown or Fulton, or even Country Club in Edina. It is truly the best of both worlds though -- I'd be all for that!

Old 08-25-2016, 11:30 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I agree. I don't think that Phoenix would benefit the MOST from density, but I think it would sure be a huge plus to the city. It's already happening in the central neighborhoods which is pretty exciting to see. I think Miami is a city that would benefit the most from density seeing as the have the ocean directly to the right of the city and the everglades directly to the left, which leaves for minimal space for expansion both east and west of the city.
Miami is already one of the most densely populated cities in the US for the reasons you described.
The cities' average density is over 12,600 people per Sq. mile matching the density of Philly now.
It is the 4th. largest Urban area in the US as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_urban_areas

Old 08-26-2016, 01:59 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Definitely Phoenix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.